• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Manners Mini Chassis Bedding? No need, Pics added

CSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Central, AL
I've got an MCST-A with the Mini Chassis and just received a Barreled action (SAC) I bought here.
After sanding the barrel channel out and opening the trigger area for a Timney trigger I screwed things together.

When snugging things down something seems off.

When I tighten both action screws then loosen the front, the action/barrel raised well over 1/8". Tighten front back down and loosen the rear and it pulls away on the tang almost 1/8".
It's like the action or chassis is bowed in the middle.

With everything tightened down, the barrel is freefloated 4x paper thickness.

Using what I have for a stright edge(not much), things seem square.

What am I missing.

Thanks for any advise.

Re: Manners Mini Chassis Bedding????

I would suggest shooting it first to see how it groups before you bed it.

I have a mini chassis on a custom action that does the same thing, but it groups just as good as when I put the action in a stock bedded for it.

Several gunsmith's I have talked to all said they skim bed chassis systems, however my guns shot so good in the chassis that I did not think it was worth bedding.

I had an HS barreled action in it before, but don't remember anything like this happening with it. It shot good.

I also had an HS (side note: bad mistake for me), and before it was bedded I had stock movement when rear screw was tighnten down.

Rifle shot much better in a chassis system than the unbedded HS for me. It could have been the fit of the stock too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an MCST-A with the Mini Chassis and just received a Barreled action (SAC) I bought here.
After sanding the barrel channel out and opening the trigger area for a Timney trigger I screwed things together.

When snugging things down something seems off.

When I tighten both action screws then loosen the front, the action/barrel raised well over 1/8". Tighten front back down and loosen the rear and it pulls away on the tang almost 1/8".
It's like the action or chassis is bowed in the middle.

With everything tightened down, the barrel is freefloated 4x paper thickness.

Using what I have for a stright edge(not much), things seem square.

What am I missing.

Thanks for any advise. </div></div>Hi CSS, The mini chassis did just what it was supposed to do, any V block chassis will do this. The MCS-mini chassis is a V block design system, which in our opinion is the best design to fit the original purpose of the mini chassis. The original purpose of the mini chassis was to develop a high end drop in and go DBM system for a tactical/hunting stock with ability to be used with a wide varity of actions that did not require bedding. The key word here is “ wide Varity of actions”. This was the hardest part of the design. . Even actions from the same manufacture will not always be of the same diameter, shape, or even straight. To correct some of this difference, we designed the chassis so that it actually contacts the action in about five different points. First - the back of the lug area, Second/Third - about 1” contact on both sides of the action from the lug area backward, Fourth/Fifth – both sides of the tang area from the back action screw forward. The complete tang does not float only the very tip of the tang. The reasons that the bottom of the action and the tip of the tang float, is that not all actions are the same diameter and we want to make sure that the action is draw down and centered in the chassis. I would much rather have the action setting centered in a V block than one that is rocking side to side on the bottom of the action. In a perfect world the best chassis design would be a 100% machined, contoured, and matched fit to each action, but its not a perfect world.

I think what happens is that guy’s loose site on what the mini chassis was designed for. During the first test on the prototype chassis we took one of my older Rem 700 6mmBR guns and used it as a test bed. This gun will easily shoot in the very low .200” groups all day long. The first groups where shot in the fully bedded 100% carbon fiber bench rest stock. Then we droped it into an MCS-T4A with a mini chassis. The groups opend up about .100”. Was the .100” due to the chassis or because we went from a full bench gun riding in mechanical front/rear rests/bags, which was shot free recoil to a tactical stock shot off a bipod and a rear bag? Being a stock maker I got a pretty good idea on what caused the groups to open up, not all of the difference, but a lot was due to the way the two stocks road the bags or lag of.

Bottom line is, do what gives you the most confidence in your rig. You can have a million dollar rig, but if you don’t have confidence in it, you aint going to hit shit. Some guys will bed the chassis just like they do a AI, others will do just the lug. But most ( 99% ) will just bolt it up and go. The chassis are proven shooters. Keep in mind the purpose of the chassis when I say, I dont think you are going to gain anything by doing a full bed job on a chassis, if you are building a gun that you plan on bedding, do a full pillar bed job from the start. When I build my own personnel guns, if it is a tatical comp gun I use a chassis. On the other hand, if I am doing a full blown F-class, or bench gun, where I am going to gain all the advantages of the stock and other equipment, I do a full stress free pillar bed job. Again do what gives you the most confidence.

Reactions: BigTex

Thanks for the reply Tom. I did not know this is how it was designed. As I said, it worked great with the HS action.
I've seen the threads about bedding a chassis and thought maybe this was what they were talking about.

It just seems to be a little to much torque?? when I was fitting it all together.
I plan to get to the range tomorrow and try it out.

Thanks for the info.

I would say all is good with Mini Chassis and SAC!!!

401170807.jpg

401170808.jpg

This is 5 shot groups at 100yds in 10-20 wind from 7:30ish off a bipod rear TAB bag.
No load development yet, waiting on some 123 Scenars to come in.
Load was my F Class rifle load, 41.3 H4350 under a Berger 140gr BTLR Match. Chrono Batt was dead when I set it up.

Two thumbs up for Manners and SAC!!!!!!

I started another thread about this. According to the instructions I received w/the chassis .... Tighten the front by the lug 65" ... Tighten the rear to 45" because the rear has a floating tang.

Hope this helps.

Nice looking groups. The mini chassis works.

I have had two mini chassis and I did not get any instructions on torque specs. I torque mine to 65Ibs. So manners says 65 front and 45 rear?

Reactions: BCX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just confirmed with Manners. 65 front and about 48 rear. </div></div>

That is good to know. Thanks

I usually torque everything 50 front and rear. Don't know that I'll change anything right now.

Anyone ever found that over torquing the front and the rear caused grouping issues?

Anyone ever found that over torquing the front and the rear caused grouping issues?

I'm not sure why anyone would want to over torque screws/bolts.
Any 1/4×28 bolt is designed to be torqued 50-70in-lbs on dry threads.
This value gives all the clamping force needed for its application.
If you desire more clamping force, increase the bolt diameter to 5/16 and go with the higher torque value.

What will you gain?

That's easy. A lighter wallet, a slightly heavier rifle and absolutely nothing else.

Tighter is not always better in reference to hardware applications.

If you believe it is, over torque your lug nuts on your vehicle. In no time you'll begin to notice your brakes surging when you slow down. It's kind of like a bump, bump, bump.
Loosen and torque properly and if you haven't done any permanent damage, it will go away.

If you truly believe tighter is better, I won't try to stop you. It's your rifle.

Reactions: 1J04