• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Manners or McM?

JLM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2008
WY
For those that have owned/used both? Can you give me a rundown on what you like and more importantly why? And what you don't like as well. An honest assessment.

I keep hearing more and more stuff about Manners, and am really interested in his stuff, but so far I've had a heck of a time making contact with him due to my work schedule and the time zone difference, and email has not been the answer.

The implication seems to be that Tom's stocks are stronger for one
thing. His website is a little short on 'hard info' other than the use
of carbon fiber in the chassis.

Thoughts gents? Firsthand info, not just what you have
read here and there.

Re: Manners or McM?

Got both. Only preference I have is the molded in color on the McMillans (sucker for Forest camo). Other than that, flip a coin. Both will take more abuse than they probably should, though the only stock I have personally seen that was broke in two pieces was McMillan HTG. Never seen a Manners subjected to the abuse that one was though, so don't know if it would have come out any better.

I've had both,
and while I don't abuse my rifles and am not LEO or anything like that, I favor the Manners a little bit more....
lighter, and they "feel" stiffer.....
I would guess it's like an argument between USO/Premier etc...
preference....

Manners.

After having met the owners of both companies and owning stocks by both the decision is easy.

Both make good stocks, but respect for customers and fellow shooters goes a long way with me.

While feel is purely subjective, I prefer my mcs-t4 over either my A5 or A3. On appearance only my vote goes to the molded in woodland camo A5...

I'm extremely happy with my manners T2A..
65x47web.jpg

I have shot alot with my A-5 and I just got a T4. I like them both alot, but the nod goes to Manners. I am loving the T4. They are great to deal with, and the wait times rock! I like the straiter pistol grip on the T4 and how stiff it feels. Both are good stocks, so get in behind both if you can and then decide.

Have both...Manners T4A and 2 McM A5's.

The only thing I see that McMillan has over the Manners stuff is the fact that they have the molded in colors and have far more varirty to choose from ( hunting / varmiters / BR etc. )

McMillan has a lot of work to do in the customer service department IMHO but i realize they are busy as hell and probably deal with hunderds of calls a day. When I call Manners, I get someone that knows what they are talking about, quick with answers and very friendly.....I personally have not had that luck with McMillan. Manners has always responded to emails within 24-48 hours as well.

I really like both, the manners with the terry cross ACP is solid. When I bought my T4A, the shipping was wait time was 4 days to get it to my house....McM quoted a 16 week delivery. Obviousely things have changed in the last year but Manners quoted me 4 weeks on the T3 I just ordered a week ago. I have not used one yet but really like the look of the new stock. McM quoted 4 months on a HTG......

At the end of the day, you wont be disappointed with either product. Just look at what you really want and make the choice but if you are not looking for a molded in color...I would definitely encourage you to go with Manners.....

Just bought a couple more McM stocks, but I though real hard about Manners and did speak with him. Mercedes or BMW? I will echo the comments about customer service...the McM folks are a little more persnickity to deal with. BUT, their product is outstanding and when they FINALLY get around to making your stock, it will be done to perfection.

Manners has molded in colors coming, right now I have a A5, but I think my next stock will be a T4a, I think Terry Cross's cheek piece hardware is the shit, I like the fore end on the T4 better and its cheaper and faster to get.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I keep hearing references to 'customer service' but my interactions with them so far have been VERY good. Diane Spicer has been Johnny on the Spot and VERY easy to talk to.

That being said, I don't have the stock yet, so I haven't had a chance to avail myself of CS for any reason
wink.gif

Care to elaborate?

I'm lucky enough to live a few miles from McMillan and have had the pleasure of dealing with them face to face several times. I have found their CS to be top notch. I've walked in their door more than once for a fix or upgrade, been invited in back to watch and not charged a penny for work or parts. Last month, I picked up my rifle with a custom contour bbl they were fitting to a stock, and when I told Ryan that I had concerns with the smiths workmanship, he brought me into McBros and had Dave inspect and borescope the bbl, then advised me to a course of action that quickly led to a positive resolution. They are always very busy, but always make time for me.

As far as which stock is better.

My preference is McMillan for their molded in color patterns only.

emailed both companies back in march about their offerings for a Sako Quad. Heard back from Dick Davis the same day, still waiting for a reply from Manners. The Quad will be wearing a A5 in forest Camo come mid July.

Tom Manners has always been very responsive to any questions I have had. I e-mailed him a question this week after hours and had a response in a matter of minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom Manners has always been very responsive to any questions I have had. I e-mailed him a question this week after hours and had a response in a matter of minutes. </div></div>

Same Here.
As I said above, cant go wrong with either. McMillan definitely has more options at the moment but MCS is doing well. Cant speak for Warranty issues as I have never had a single problem with either...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I keep hearing references to 'customer service' but my interactions with them so far have been VERY good. Diane Spicer has been Johnny on the Spot and VERY easy to talk to.

That being said, I don't have the stock yet, so I haven't had a chance to avail myself of CS for any reason
wink.gif

Care to elaborate?

Nothing major its just that last time I called them ( couple of weeks ago ) it almost seemed like I was bothering them....may have been...dont know. I am not a guy that spends 10 or 20 K a year with them but 500-800 bucks is a lot to me and when I asked a few questions about inlet / lug options and LOP options, it was almost like I was wasting their time. I have bought from them before and have bought their stocks from other dealers as well. Once again, the stocks are top notch. I just felt that they could have taken a little more interest...thats all. It definitely wont keep me from buying their products just made me lean to the Manners for now...cant go wrong with either. I am sure they are swamped as hell right now...may have caught them on a bad day...dont know. Just realize that that was my personal experience and nothing more. If you are having good results, then go with MCM...you wont be disappointed in the product.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom Manners has always been very responsive to any questions I have had. I e-mailed him a question this week after hours and had a response in a matter of minutes. </div></div>

That's interesting re: email because I flat out couldn't GET an answer in ANY time frame. I finally gave up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom Manners has always been very responsive to any questions I have had. I e-mailed him a question this week after hours and had a response in a matter of minutes. </div></div>

That's interesting re: email because I flat out couldn't GET an answer in ANY time frame. I finally gave up.

</div></div>

Tom takes a little while to get a response from but his products take less time and are of the same quality of MCM.

JLM,
We always try to get back asap, which should be within a few days. If you do not get a response please send us a PM through the Hide. We have had a huge amount of growth over the last few months which might have slowed a few responses down. We value every customer and customer service is as always and always will be the top priority.
Thank you very much,

I own both and love both.

I have had great customer service from both as well, both Dick Davis and Tom Manners regurally post here and are easily assessable for questions, and both have responded in a timely manner to my previous questions.

I will say that i prefer mcm for 1 reason that is the gelcoat finish, i just love the durability and feel, now when tom gets the gelcoat thing rolling watch out

however i am still a big fan of the manners t2 and mcs-t, especially the Mcs-t just took delivery of one yesterday blows the htg out of the water

it is so nice to have great choices and options on stocks, scopes, barrels, actions these days

Manners. A lot more personable company, which is important to me... I wanted a GAT stock for my Savage, Tom said sure, it would take a couple of months fo that inlet, but he'd be happy to do it.

Manners. messed with the t2 and definitely want either a t4 or one of the t3s. haven't decided but im selling my McM HTG in left hand to fund it.

I have 2 McM A-5s and they are both fantastic stocks. The only reason I went with those over Manners (and I was heading for a T4a) was because I got them off the Hide ready to go. had them in a week.

A guy I shoot with has a Manners T4a and its a fantastic stock. I would most definitely use one in the future.

Manners.
I called them the Sunday after Thanksgiving 2 or 3 years ago to ask a few questions. I was expecting a machine or something, but they answered the phone. I ended up ordering an MCS-GAT and it got to me before Christmas.
The customer service was phenomenal. The quality of the stock is amazing. I drag it around the ranch a few months a year. It has survived the bed of trucks, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, and falling off a few horses. Only thing that has happened are 4 gouges on the cheek rest after I got dragged by a horse. Even then, the stock ended up a hell of a lot better than me.

I don't think you will be upset with either choice. If you are, well it means you can talk yourself into another build. LOL

Wade,

That's a very good point actually. I have an evil 'plot' to do something with a 300RUM perhaps.