• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners prs1 on a hunting rifle?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I found a tl3 prefit in 223 at a great price, and about to order the tl3. I’m going order a second barrel and turn it into my primary coyote rifle and swap out for the 223 as a trainer. Never handled a prs1 and wondering what your thoughts were on a hunting set up?

Can’t decide what stock to use and leaning heavily on the prs1 to try

I have a couple PRS1s. They’re great. About 3.5lbs depending on how you have them set up. So depending on what weight you’re trying to hit they may work for what you’re wanting. I prefer an EH1 on a hunting rifle just to cut as much weight as possible. But even then I think the weight difference between an EH1 w/ mini chassis on PRS1 with mini chassis is only about a pound or so.

I use a PRS2 on my hunting rig. Have an almost identical rifle set up with a steel barrel and S&B 5-25x on it. Keeps thinks ergonomically simple, and it's been very handy, even with a 26" barrel in thick scrub. Light and well balanced.

Carbon Tempest.jpg

I’m not really looking to go super light, still want a stable platform. I’m replacing a set up with this one and it comes in at 9.25 lbs I believe. The hunting barrel will be a #5 finished at 24” chambered in 20 tactical. The target barrel is an mtu 24” 223 barrel. I’ve handled but never shoot an eh1a and that was the route I oringal you wanted to go, but the prs1/2 look to be identical weights but heard they feel nicer to get behind?

FWIW- I just ordered a PRS2 from Altus the other day. Going on a 22 creed for coyotes and whitetail does. Can’t wait!

Reactions: Matt_3479
The comp stocks are all too heavy for any rifle that's going to be toted long ways up steep stuff, but for day hunts or situations that don't require much mobility, they're awesome. '

This is a touch under 14lb as pictured. I could run a carbon barrel or chop the 26' down to 20 to knock some weight off but it's never going to be a lightweight rig:

IMG_3968.jpg

For a mid-weight hunter, I'd opt for something more like this, which comes in at 10.6lb:

IMG_3965.jpg

Reactions: Simia Dei