• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners Stock choice and mini chasis?

Betedtf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Starting to think about a 6.5 prc build and looking at Manners stock choice and whether or not to go mini chasis. Rifle will mainly be used for prone long range shooting. I like the PRS1 and T4A stocks, but not sure which to choose without sitting behind one. Also am new to the new mini chasis vs bedding and which is a better choice. I know for resale the mini chasis makes more sense, but not sure about accuracy. Also Manners has a gen 1 and gen 2 mini chasis. Whats the difference? Any info appreciated.

Chances are you won't notice any difference between the mini chassis and a custom bedded stock. I have three Manners stocks, 2 mini chassis and one custom bedded and they all shoot outstanding. The mini chassis also means that you can put different barreled actions in the stock in case you get another one and want to change out your setup.

Whatever you do, my experience is get a stock with a flat forend bottom so you can mount an Arca rail on it if you want. My first Manners stock was a T3 that I got in 2010 before rails were a thing and I had to jury rig a spacer between the front action screw and the Area 419 rail because the T3 forend isn't flat but has a step in it. The T4A also has a step in it that will require a spacer. My next 2 Manners stocks were a T2A GAP and a MCS-TCS all of which are easy to mount a rail on.

Last edited:
I thought that as well but concluded the Manners mini chassis works only with Remington bottom metal. I wanted to use M5 bottom metal.
1620742003354.png

MCS-BDL mini chassis needs bottom metal. MCS-DBM mini chassis is standalone and does not need additional bottom metal.

The one BDL mini chassis I had was compatible with Remington bottom metal. The 5 or 6 DBM mini chassis I’ve had have all been great.

To the OP, the Gen 1 dbm chassis is flush on the bottom with the stock. The Gen 2 dbm chassis has extended mag well. They both have the “butterfly “ mag release on the trigger guard. The OG Gen 1 dbm chassis is flush on the bottom but has the pogo stick mag release in front of the trigger guard. I have all 3 configurations and can add pictures later if needed.

Id go the the mini chassis over bedded bottom metal (assuming you want a dbm setup).

Anyone know the weight difference between mini-chassis vs DBM bottom metal + bedding?

MCS-BDL mini chassis needs bottom metal. MCS-DBM mini chassis is standalone and does not need additional bottom metal.

The one BDL mini chassis I had was compatible with Remington bottom metal. The 5 or 6 DBM mini chassis I’ve had have all been great.

To the OP, the Gen 1 dbm chassis is flush on the bottom with the stock. The Gen 2 dbm chassis has extended mag well. They both have the “butterfly “ mag release on the trigger guard. The OG Gen 1 dbm chassis is flush on the bottom but has the pogo stick mag release in front of the trigger guard. I have all 3 configurations and can add pictures later if needed.

Id go the the mini chassis over bedded bottom metal (assuming you want a dbm setup).
Thank you. Makes sense now.

Anyone know the weight difference between mini-chassis vs DBM bottom metal + bedding?
Manners listed the DBM mini chassis at 0.62 pounds (~9.9 oz), and the BDL mini chassis as ~6 oz. The last EH-1 I weighed was 42.9 oz and consisted of the following:

EH-1: 30 oz list weight
Gen 2 Min Chassis: 9.9 oz list weight
4.25" Arca Rail: 1.5 oz list weight
Front pic rail & tee nuts: +/-1.5 oz
2 flush cups: 1 oz (assumed weight)

Total from listed weight would be about 43.9 oz, and the actual was about 42.9 oz. I don't have the other weights handy, but it has been my experience that the weights listed from Manners is right in line with real world numbers. Small sample size, but that's for 6 stocks I've had from them.

Depending on which bottom metal you go with, I'd guess that you'll be in the 6 to 8 oz range for the bottom metal, pillars, and bedding. It's also worth mentioning for the ounce counters that the mini chassis takes up a little extra stock "space", so your stock weight is probably a couple ounces less than advertised. This is also probably part of the reason that my real world EH-1 weight is a little under the summation of the listed weights.

Here's the info direct from Manners regarding chassis and associated weights:

If you get the t4a have them set the action back farther in the stock. I have this stock and know a few people with them and they are spaced pretty oddly. I recommend people get it set back 0.25 in

If you get the t4a have them set the action back farther in the stock. I have this stock and know a few people with them and they are spaced pretty oddly. I recommend people get it set back 0.25 in
Even the PRS/TCS are a little long

Long? Never had any issue with my of my Manners with Mini Chassis. Feels comfortable to get behind them and shoot.

OP definitely get the mini chassis. It's a no brainer as it's bolt in and go. As to which stock, you can't go wrong with either but look at the pics to help you choose. The T4A has a more rounded forend and the PRS is more squared.

T4A
mcs-t4.jpg

PRS1
mcs-prs1-rs.jpg

Reactions: b6graham
Long? Never had any issue with my of my Manners with Mini Chassis. Feels comfortable to get behind them and shoot.

OP definitely get the mini chassis. It's a no brainer as it's bolt in and go. As to which stock, you can't go wrong with either but look at the pics to help you choose. The T4A has a more rounded forend and the PRS is more squared.

T4A
mcs-t4.jpg

PRS1
mcs-prs1-rs.jpg
the length from the grip to the trigger on my t4a is what im referring to. I have large hands and im not close to being able to get a 90 degree break

the length from the grip to the trigger on my t4a is what im referring to. I have large hands and im not close to being able to get a 90 degree break

Odd. I have normal sized hands and have no problem doing it. Are you wrapping your whole hand around the grip?

Odd. I have normal sized hands and have no problem doing it. Are you wrapping your whole hand around the grip?
Nope. Pics included. I also have the team version may be that. I also have an EH5 I ordered normal and it's perfect.

Attachments

• D9276E72-45F1-4568-B3F5-D1C439FB5AF8.jpeg
    D9276E72-45F1-4568-B3F5-D1C439FB5AF8.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 19A9E3E4-8D6A-4A29-8BC9-1C9888666F4A.jpeg
    19A9E3E4-8D6A-4A29-8BC9-1C9888666F4A.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Rob01
The manners have always been a little long for me too. Especially compared to chassis and other stocks (McMillan)

I really really wish the TCS(and all basically) was 1/2-3/4" closer from grip to trigger

Reactions: Rob01
Yeah I don't have a team stock but my PRSs, T2A and T3s are all fine for a 90 degree trigger.

Reactions: b6graham
I just picked up 2 mini chassis PRS2 stocks. Formerly had McMillan A3 and A5s not bedded. The repeatability of the bolt in and go mini chassis system is bad ass. I'm really liking mine. Have a 6BR and a 6.5SAUM in the pics. They are lasers. Would like to get an EH1A with a mini chassis next! I like the McMillan marble stocks more tha anything, but the chassis/stock hybrid in a Manners is very hard to beat, especially since I'd never want to bed a stock to a specific action.

Attachments

• 20210509_160825.jpg
    20210509_160825.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 20210509_160533.jpg
    20210509_160533.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 20210503_190427.jpg
    20210503_190427.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: jbailey and Rob01
I just picked up 2 mini chassis PRS2 stocks. Formerly had McMillan A3 and A5s not bedded. The repeatability of the bolt in and go mini chassis system is bad ass. I'm really liking mine. Have a 6BR and a 6.5SAUM in the pics. They are lasers. Would like to get an EH1A with a mini chassis next! I like the McMillan marble stocks more tha anything, but the chassis/stock hybrid in a Manners is very hard to beat, especially since I'd never want to bed a stock to a specific action.
curious why you didnt see the same repeatability with the mcmillans

ive even moved rifles between different mcmillans and pretty much always within .1 mil, sometimes no change

curious why you didnt see the same repeatability with the mcmillans

ive even moved rifles between different mcmillans and pretty much always within .1 mil, sometimes no change
My A5/Zeus and A3/impact were very accurate, however they were not bedded. Repeatability of swapping stocks/taking barreled action out of stock was plenty good enough to shoot steel or hunt, etc. Always within a few tenths of a mil. I had a GAP Crusader in a Mcmillan A5 that was bedded by GAP and it was dead nuts repeatable every time I bolted it back together. So I can say after 5 custom/semi custom rifles the Bedded GAP and the Manners mini chassis behaved the same. The non bedded McMillans were still terrific, but I could always perceive a very slight deviation with them.
1 - bedded GAP 300wsm
2 - McMillan A3, Impact not bedded
3 - Mcmillan A5, Zeus not bedded

Attachments

• 20201213_080454.jpg
    20201213_080454.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200924_171051.jpg
    20200924_171051.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200809_103436.jpg
    20200809_103436.jpg