• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

manners t4a, t5a questions

tmckay2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
i tried to do some research on this but didn't find exactly what i was looking for. i am looking to get a manners stock, probably t4a or t5a. is the chassis worth it? i know it makes things simply, but it is like 300-350 over the regular price. just curious opinions on this. also, when looking to order a stock from them, they give you the bottom metal option. is this just the inlet option, not the bottom metal itself included right? and finally, what do you prefer, the t4 or t5 and why? thanks guys!

Re: manners t4a, t5a questions

The chassis includes the bottom metal, so that really makes the cost very close to a stock alone + bottom metal. When you choose some other BM inlet like M4/M5 then that's just the cutout, no metal.

Get the mini chassis, I've heard good things, then you can you a quick 10 minute skim bed at home and be done with it. No pillars and full bedding job needed from a gunsmith.

Choice of T4 or T5 is all yours, it's what you want, personally I like the T2.
smile.gif

I'm running a T5A/chassis setup with a Stiller action. Manners did the barreled action install for me two years ago, including bedding. It's a great setup, very accurate and predictable;the included Badger DBM takes AICS mags that work great.

Stock choice is very personal. I've been addicted to thumb-hole stocks ever since I shot 3 position smallbore with an Anschutz free rifle back in the '60s. Manner's version, with adjustable cheek and butt, fits me well (I have long arms, long thin fingers and a big hand). As always, you might get a better sense of things if you could find a few different styles to handle.

I have a 243 in a T5a with Mini-Chassis.
First, the T5a has quite a different feel compared to the T4a. So much so that it would be wise to find a friend that would let you try them out first.
Second, the Mini-Chassis is well worth it. My barreled action was installed (as a test) with zero bedding done. All I can say is that, in my case, I will not go back and bed it. As a matter of fact, Tom Manners does not recommend bedding unless you want to bed the recoil lug area.
Third, if you have the stock inletted for M5 bottom metal you will still pay $350 for Badger M5 (less for CDI).

I have three T4's now, i had my hands on a T5 and it was fitting my hand way better than the AI, I have several friend with all kinds of Manners, T2 and MCS-T's all fine stocks.
if you don't want to bed get the mini chassis but for the money it is hard to bed the cost of bedding.
hope this helps

i wish i could feel a few out but no one has anything near me. not that i know of anyway. i wish dealers had some around here

i would consider something like a mcree too, im just not as familiar with them. i know they are cheaper but ive heard you can't beat the feel of a manners

Get the chassis. It comes out cheaper(unless you bed it yourself)
than buying bottom metal and a bed job.
I have T4A's bedded and an MCS-T chassis. The chassis stock shoots very good just torqued down.
If you like a TH get the T5.
Here is a few 5 shot groups from back a few months ago when I was asking about bedding the chassis.

403775310.jpg

403775311.jpg

thats the problem, im not sure if id like the thumbhole or not, but it looks very comfortable. also, i have a remington sps tactical aac-sd, how big of a deal is it to get the correct contour channel? i ask because in the future im not sure if ill get the same contour when replacing the barrel.

Add your location to your profile. Maybe some on here is close by and would let you get a feel for the different stocks.

Get the chassis, you won't regret it. As far as T4 vs T5, I run a T5 and I very rarely use the thumbhole. It's still comfortable if you float your thumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the chassis, you won't regret it. As far as T4 vs T5, I run a T5 and I very rarely use the thumbhole. It's still comfortable if you float your thumb. </div></div>

ive been thinking about this as a possibility as well. i think i am going to go with the t5a with mini chassis. next step, deciding between coyote, od or black. anyone know the true colors of their coyote and od? its hard to tell in pics. are they fairly muted, dark?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmckay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the chassis, you won't regret it. As far as T4 vs T5, I run a T5 and I very rarely use the thumbhole. It's still comfortable if you float your thumb. </div></div>

ive been thinking about this as a possibility as well. i think i am going to go with the t5a with mini chassis. next step, deciding between coyote, od or black. anyone know the true colors of their coyote and od? its hard to tell in pics. are they fairly muted, dark? </div></div>

It's difficult to tell true colors due to variances in cameras and monitors. Mine started as coyote(tan) and it's several shades lighter than Magpul's FDE if that's any help.

I've also kicked around the idea of filing a thumb groove in mine like the Viperskins so I have a reference point. It's beefy in the tang area and shouldn't lose any rigidity.

so more of a khaki would you say?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmckay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the chassis, you won't regret it. As far as T4 vs T5, I run a T5 and I very rarely use the thumbhole. It's still comfortable if you float your thumb. </div></div>

ive been thinking about this as a possibility as well. i think i am going to go with the t5a with mini chassis. next step, deciding between coyote, od or black. anyone know the true colors of their coyote and od? its hard to tell in pics. are they fairly muted, dark? </div></div>

It's difficult to tell true colors due to variances in cameras and monitors. Mine started as coyote(tan) and it's several shades lighter than Magpul's FDE if that's any help.

I've also kicked around the idea of filing a thumb groove in mine like the Viperskins so I have a reference point. It's beefy in the tang area and shouldn't lose any rigidity. </div></div>

The chassis is the way to go for me. I have a T4A (w/CDI, still unbedded, but shoots great), and a T5A w/chassis. The T5a comes from the factory with the chassis mounted already by Manners. You just torque and go.

As for preference, I couldn't decie between the T4A & T5A..so I got one of each. Both excellent, and slightly different.
I haven't messed with placing my thumb outside the TH, because the grip design is so ergonomic. I may give that a try this weekend--do a quick test and see if it affects my groups. I do notice with the TH, if I'm not paying attention, I have a tendency to 'muscle' it a bit. It is just one more thing to remember. With the T4A, I don't have that issue.

Hope that helps some...it is a tough choice, but you seriously cannot go wrong either way.