• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners T4CZ pillars/bedding for 452 Varmint?

echo_foxtrot

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2010
MT
I've a CZ452 Varmint that's currently mated with a Boyd's Tacticool stock. I'm pretty satisfied with this combination, but accuracy seems to be sensitive to torque settings and temperature and humidity. I've not bedded the action in this stock.

I'm considering replacing the Boyd's stock with a Manners T4 CZ since I've ordered a T4A for my Remy 700 and want a similarly configured trainer.

For those with the Varmint version of the 452 and a T4CZ stock, can you please provide recommendations or feedback re: whether I should order the stock with pillar(s), bedding, and what you do with the front (barrel) lug? For the latter, some add a washer between the front lug, some use a mini pillar, leave it be, etc.

Thanks much!

Re: Manners T4CZ pillars/bedding for 452 Varmint?

I have this set up. The stock is pillar bedded, but I had my smith skim bed it as well. I did nothing with the berrel lug. It shoots lights out. I run with the big dogs at a bench rest club, and I shoot off a bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this set up. The stock is pillar bedded, but I had my smith skim bed it as well. I did nothing with the berrel lug. It shoots lights out. I run with the big dogs at a bench rest club, and I shoot off a bipod. </div></div>

Appreciate the reply. Two questions:

Was the pillar ordered and installed by Manners or your smith? I guess what I'm getting at is with the 452 Varmint it's basically one pillar (if you don't bed the barrel lug since the tang is not secured).

Does the skim bed extend beyond the action to the barrel lug or just the action?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this set up. The stock is pillar bedded, but I had my smith skim bed it as well. I did nothing with the berrel lug. It shoots lights out. I run with the big dogs at a bench rest club, and I shoot off a bipod. </div></div>

I do as well, I haven't skim bedded it yet. I want to, to see if any performance gain can be had. But it shoots rather well regardless. It's been just a bit since I've had it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echo_foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Was the pillar ordered and installed by Manners or your smith? I guess what I'm getting at is with the 452 Varmint it's basically one pillar (if you don't bed the barrel lug since the tang is not secured).

Does the skim bed extend beyond the action to the barrel lug or just the action?</div></div>

Pillars were installed by Manners. I plan on trying to bed the entire action, as well as an area between the barrel lug and front of the receiver.

Anchor Zero Six has a thread on the evolution and progress his 455 made in a factory stock, but he and another member (jaia) made some pretty convincing (to me at least) posts and results regarding a 'balance point' on the barreled action. The exact specifics of which elude me, but search for that thread within the Rimfire subforum.

I don't know how having the barrel lug and screw on the 452 (vs the 455) would effect the outcome of bedding like shown in the thread with the 455, as in positively or negatively impacting accuracy...but I want to find out eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echo_foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this set up. The stock is pillar bedded, but I had my smith skim bed it as well. I did nothing with the berrel lug. It shoots lights out. I run with the big dogs at a bench rest club, and I shoot off a bipod. </div></div>

Does the skim bed extend beyond the action to the barrel lug or just the action?

Thanks. </div></div>

The pillar was installed by Manner's. I found out right away that this was not a drop-in fit. I had to remove a bit of material in front of the trigger (internally) to be able to remove the bolt. I guess the trigger was hitting just before it went far enough to free the bolt, although it would fire a round. I had to open up the barrel lug hole for the screw head to fit, and modify the rear hole for the bottom metal. I installed the DIP bottom metal. At this point, I figured that my smith would be the better man to fit this correctly, so that it would be a shooter. I don't know all the details, but he did what had to be done for fit and bedded it. I couldn't be happier with it. Sorry I can't be any more help, but I'm in the back half of an 18 week league rimfire shoot, and this rifle is shooting way too good to take it apart for a look.

Greg

This is very helpful and the primary reason I'm asking. The pillar in the middle of the action (since the 452V doesn't have a rear or tang mount) has to be a small diameter piece or machined fitting as there is little room between the trigger and the magwell housing.

Is your smith willing to do another? If so, could you provide his contact info here or via PM?

Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echo_foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this set up. The stock is pillar bedded, but I had my smith skim bed it as well. I did nothing with the berrel lug. It shoots lights out. I run with the big dogs at a bench rest club, and I shoot off a bipod. </div></div>

Thanks. </div></div>

The pillar was installed by Manner's. I found out right away that this was not a drop-in fit. I had to remove a bit of material in front of the trigger (internally) to be able to remove the bolt. I guess the trigger was hitting just before it went far enough to free the bolt, although it would fire a round. I had to open up the barrel lug hole for the screw head to fit, and modify the rear hole for the bottom metal. I installed the DIP bottom metal. At this point, I figured that my smith would be the better man to fit this correctly, so that it would be a shooter. I don't know all the details, but he did what had to be done for fit and bedded it. I couldn't be happier with it. Sorry I can't be any more help, but I'm in the back half of an 18 week league rimfire shoot, and this rifle is shooting way too good to take it apart for a look.

Greg </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooterman017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Pillars were installed by Manners. I plan on trying to bed the entire action, as well as an area between the barrel lug and front of the receiver.

Anchor Zero Six has a thread on the evolution and progress his 455 made in a factory stock, but he and another member (jaia) made some pretty convincing (to me at least) posts and results regarding a 'balance point' on the barreled action. The exact specifics of which elude me, but search for that thread within the Rimfire subforum.

I don't know how having the barrel lug and screw on the 452 (vs the 455) would effect the outcome of bedding like shown in the thread with the 455, as in positively or negatively impacting accuracy...but I want to find out eventually. </div></div>

Found that thread, thanks. The 452V is a strange configuration with the barrel lug, though it seems to shoot very well. There are lots of conflicting opinions on what to do with that lug. Some bed it, many leave it be, some fasten it securely to the barrel, and others delete it. I'm very happy with the way mine shoots now when the weather is consistent- just want to maintain the consistency so I don't have to keep messing with the torque on the action screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echo_foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very happy with the way mine shoots now when the weather is consistent- just want to maintain the consistency so I don't have to keep messing with the torque on the action screws. </div></div>

Torque <span style="font-weight: bold">values</span> are one thing I have yet to fiddle with. I've counted <span style="font-weight: bold">screw rotations and quarter turns</span> instead, and each time I always come back to the same number that produces the most consistent groups with my rifle in particular. I kinda don't see the need to put any other value on it, it's repeatable enough and the barreled action hardly comes out anyway...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echo_foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is very helpful and the primary reason I'm asking. The pillar in the middle of the action (since the 452V doesn't have a rear or tang mount) has to be a small diameter piece or machined fitting as there is little room between the trigger and the magwell housing.

Is your smith willing to do another? If so, could you provide his contact info here or via PM?

Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echo_foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this set up. The stock is pillar bedded, but I had my smith skim bed it as well. I did nothing with the berrel lug. It shoots lights out. I run with the big dogs at a bench rest club, and I shoot off a bipod. </div></div>

Thanks. </div></div>

Greg </div></div> </div></div>

Happy to, and I'm sure he would be glad to help you out. PM incoming.

Greg

I was pleased to see the Manners comes pillar bedded from the factory, and I had no issues torquing to spec on my 455.

I have yet to skim bed it, and really not sure if it needs it. I'm able to do some 1" groups at 100yds, and I'm happy with that.

If I have any 'extra' money in the future (unlikely, thanks to this hobby!) I may explore it...just to consider the rifle 'done'.