• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Manufacturing Process for Factory Remmy Actions

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
Hello,

I am curious what the process is for producing a factory remington action? Anyone know? The ones I have seen look like the face has been cut with a bandsaw. Do they cut a tube, then bore, then thread, then broach the lug races?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Manufacturing Process for Factory Remmy Actions

From Otteson's "Bolt Action Rifles", 1976

The pre-cut chrome moly bars are first turned and faced, then drilled and broached to form the bolt-well and raceway channels. Next the tang and ejector port are roughed out on a bank of horizontal milles. Most subsequent machining is then accomplished on two huge Tri-Ordinate units. These are three-dimensional cam-controlled machining centers with multiple stations.

The receiver is clamped to the Tri-Ordinate rotating table and automatically indexed under a series of machining heads. Six receivers undergo progressive operations at the same time. Every two minutes the table indexes, one receiver is off loaded and replaced by a fresh one. The off-loaded receiver is deburred and fed immediately to the second Tri-Ordinate on the next cycle. Each receiver goes through the same set of cutters, yet once both stations get going, in effect it takes only two minutes for twelve different operations.

After leaving the Tri-Ordinates, external shaping is complete and the receivers feed through a series of smaller machines to drill and tap the various holes. Boring and threading the receiver ring and cutting the cam inclines is next, followed finally by heat treatment, tumble-polishing, and blueing to complete the process."

I thought they were poured using the lost wax method, am I wrong??????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought they were poured using the lost wax method, am I wrong?????? </div></div>

LOL, who do you work for US repeating arms?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought they were poured using the lost wax method, am I wrong?????? </div></div>

LOL, who do you work for US repeating arms? </div></div>

Not that I can remember. I willing to learn, let your knowledge flow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireball168</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From Otteson's "Bolt Action Rifles", 1976

<span style="font-weight: bold">The pre-cut chrome moly bars are first turned and faced</span>, then drilled and broached to form the bolt-well and raceway channels. Next the tang and ejector port are roughed out on a bank of horizontal milles. Most subsequent machining is then accomplished on two huge Tri-Ordinate units. These are three-dimensional cam-controlled machining centers with multiple stations.

The receiver is clamped to the Tri-Ordinate rotating table and automatically indexed under a series of machining heads. Six receivers undergo progressive operations at the same time. Every two minutes the table indexes, one receiver is off loaded and replaced by a fresh one. The off-loaded receiver is deburred and fed immediately to the second Tri-Ordinate on the next cycle. Each receiver goes through the same set of cutters, yet once both stations get going, in effect it takes only two minutes for twelve different operations.

After leaving the Tri-Ordinates, external shaping is complete and the receivers feed through a series of smaller machines to drill and tap the various holes. Boring and threading the receiver ring and cutting the cam inclines is next, followed finally by heat treatment, tumble-polishing, and blueing to complete the process."
</div></div>

from looking at my straight from the factory Remington 700 actions, they look like they weren't ever "faced". If they were "faced" it was along the lines of using a dull band saw blade.

Exhibit #1:

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_13-600x450.jpg

Exhibit #2:

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_16-600x450.jpg

And people wonder why I'd rather shoot a straight out of the box Made-in-Japan Weatherby? Even Homer Simpson can figure that one out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireball168</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From Otteson's "Bolt Action Rifles", 1976

The pre-cut chrome moly bars are first turned and faced, then drilled and broached to form the bolt-well and raceway channels. Next the tang and ejector port are roughed out on a bank of horizontal milles. Most subsequent machining is then accomplished on two huge Tri-Ordinate units. These are three-dimensional cam-controlled machining centers with multiple stations.

</div></div>

No disrespect, but anyone can say anything...show me. I saw FN making AR lowers on what I would call a "Tombstone", but never herd of a Tri-Ordinate rotating table (not that I've herd of everything). Like I said I'm willing to learn, show me.

I think a tri ordinate rotating table is a NC three axis table for a CNC mill.

There was a good article a while back in a US shooting mag of some sort on the new TC. ICON rifle. I was reading it at a magazine stand but what stood out was that it took about 40 minutes to completely machine a action on a CNC machining station.It was a brand new 4 axis station.

Think about that when you lay out $1000 for a custom action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a tri ordinate rotating table is a NC three axis table for a CNC mill.

There was a good article a while back in a US shooting mag of some sort on the new TC. ICON rifle. I was reading it at a magazine stand but what stood out was that it took about 40 minutes to completely machine a action on a CNC machining station.It was a brand new 4 axis station.

Think about that when you lay out $1000 for a custom action. </div></div>

Are you saying that $1000 is expensive for 40 minutes of work, or are you saying for all the work it is worth the price?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a tri ordinate rotating table is a NC three axis table for a CNC mill.

Think about that when you lay out $1000 for a custom action. </div></div>

Are you saying that $1000 is expensive for 40 minutes of work, or are you saying for all the work it is worth the price? </div></div>

Is that a trick question?

I meant if you can keep a $100,000 machine turning out $1000 dollar products at the rate of 1.5 an hour it dosn't take long to pay for the machine. Advertising, labour, taxes, R&D,etc. aside.

You are right. I am a manufacturing engineer, and one of my projects involved the puchase of a $200,000 CNC mill plus $35,000 in tooling, the parts that will be run on this machine was being farmed out. In the time study and cost analysis we figure that this machine will pay for itself in one year or less. Wish I had the money to invest in a machine like that, make the money for myself instead of the big wheels.

I see these new looking 3,4 and 5!! axis machining centres for sale on e-bay and some of the manufacturing auction forums, really cheap!!

The downsizing of manufacturing in California, in aerospace, the auto industry, etc. has put a huge amount of great equipment up for sale.

I know that some of that same equipment is going offshore and that is dissapointing for the US labor market(and economy). I think of smaller manufactures like Lawton Machine in Dillon Montana and assume that they have a machining centre like these. They are the ones giving the group buy's on actions all the time here. Good for them.

Like you say, there is oppourtunity if you know how to use it, put it to work and make a desirable product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are right. I am a manufacturing engineer, and one of my projects involved the puchase of a $200,000 CNC mill plus $35,000 in tooling, the parts that will be run on this machine was being farmed out. In the time study and cost analysis we figure that this machine will pay for itself in one year or less. Wish I had the money to invest in a machine like that, make the money for myself instead of the big wheels.</div></div>

Just because you have the ability to crank out the pieces doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have the orders for them. Many large companies have to do outside vendor work for other companies (even for their compretition) in order to pay for the huge costs of some of this machinery rather than letting it sit idle. S&W and Ruger immediately come to mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No disrespect, but anyone can say anything...show me. </div></div>

Buy the book and you can read it for yourself. It doesn't get any easier to "show me" than that.

Otteson is a respected source, you might even find it in your local library.