• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Many Saint of Newark

Animal357

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Aug 18, 2020
    Anyone watch it yet?

Half way through now. Major disappointment so far.

A slow burner like Dostoyevsky or Sopranos. Ahem..... I wish it was better

Sopranos was very good if your from the area and had family and friends who lived that life.

I remember when Newark was safe & plenty of good places to eat.

Maxwell
    Newark was high end at one time but after the Irish and Italians got push out it turned into a shit hole.

Sopranos was very good if your from the area and had family and friends who lived that life.
    Just watched this a couple nights ago, pretty good imho.

They claimed to be the inspiration for the Sopranos.

Untold: Crimes and Penalties (2021) - IMDb

https://www.imdb.com › title › tt15101956
    Untold: Crimes and Penalties: Directed by Chapman Way, Maclain Way. With Richard Brosal, James Galante, A.J. Galante, Ed Adams. They were the bad boys of hockey - a team bought by a man with mob ties, run by his 17 year old son, and with a rep for being as violent as they were good. The story of the Danbury Trashers.

eta:

I would highly recommend this one too, if you're looking for a fictionalized rather than a documentary film.

Kill the Irishman (2011) - IMDb

https://www.imdb.com › title › tt1416801
    Kill the Irishman: Directed by Jonathan Hensleigh. With Ray Stevenson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Val Kilmer, Christopher Walken. The true story of Danny Greene, a tough Irish thug working for mobsters in Cleveland during the 1970's.

Last edited:
    When it ended, I had no fucking idea what I just watched. it was basically a longer episode of The Sopranos (sans Meadow's hot ass) that would be in the middle of a season somewhere. No idea why this was a movie at all. Yes, they're going to spin it off into some 'movie series' or whatever, but holy shit, generally you make the 'pilot' super interesting and go from there. This had me sitting there literally making me want to scream DO SOMETHING!!!!11! at the screen after about an hour of it.

It was flat and all over the place. It would have benefited from being longer as it really felt they just skipped from plot to plot and tried to cram as much nostalgia/origin shit in there as possible along the way. Yet it was way too short to effectively tell a good laid out story and instead felt like it was setting up 3 or 4 super flat plot arcs that were maybe a little interesting, but overall there wasn't enough development to actually know.

If this wasn't linked to The Sopranos, no one would talk about this a week from now. It kind of sucked actually. And who literally gives a single fuck about Harold, yet there's like an hour spent on him. No one fucking cares.

There were some good things to it however. Scenery and the feel of the time frame was solid. Wasn't a budget film. Music was good, The roles of Corado and Livia...holy shit - everything from the way these two looked, to the mannerisms to the acting itself...wow. The guy playing Sil gets an honorable mention but seemed slightly forced at times.

But as far as the actual writing and plot. Meh. Quite a disappointment.

Last edited: