• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Map options for my Garmin 550t?

Cproflow

King of the Shank
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2011
Lyons, Colorado
I just picked up a 550t, as a MUCH needed upgrade over my 10 year old etrex. I'm looking to see if there are any recommended topo map options (24k preferably)? The topo that comes with the unit is 100k, and really is not as robust as what I'm looking for? I'm using this for hunting.
Garmin of course sells the 24k topo for my area of interest (Colorado)...but it is $100! Ouch.

Has anyone come across any free or less expensive options?

All the Garmin maps seem way expensive! If you want the GPS to work to its fullest you will need to figure the cost of the maps. If you find a computer nerd they could probably pirate a copy for you!

Just bite the bullet, as it is well worth it. Although I don't live in CO anymore, but will hunt elk still, the private and BLM differentiation is invaluable. The 100k is $100 so I don't see how the 24k is also the same, but either you'll love it. I have a 650t, and I'd say that and the maps are one of my best investments in a long time.

I was pretty upset when I bought my 530 that I had to spend another $100 on the maps. After I used it a couple times it was well worth it. The way I look at it now is if I get really turned around and have to rely on my GPS a $100 is a cheap lifesaver.

Kc

Yeah, I was kind of hoping that wasn't the case, but I knew to a degree that it probably was. Geez...buy once, cry once applies to maps too!! :rolleyes:
I did find this, which looks pretty damn cool...for basically the same price as the Garmin maps. It is hunting specific to regions.
Colorado Public-Private Land Ownership Topo GPS Maps

Does anyone have experience with these maps? They look pretty helpful.

I have the landowner chip in my Garmin, (Wyoming, not Colo but same ideal). Yes its about $100..............so what, it's worth it, I'd have paid 10 times that if it was necessary. A trespass ticket is gonna cost you a lot more.

Mine also had the name of the landowners on it. That's pretty handy if you want to contact him for some reason.

It also had Hunt Areas marked out for the different critters, that also can save you a bit if you stray and the Game Warden catches you.

I did check out that GPSFileDepot...there are some pretty cool maps there. I did snag a topo that definitely is better than the stock Garmin one. I found it funny that for some of the GMU maps, they linked you out to the Hunting GPS Maps site!

I use Hunting GPS Maps as an overlay. It is an absolute godsend for bird hunting...I can't even tell you how many tiny little public pockets I've found that are surrounded by ag, loaded with birds and appear private to the uninformed. On top of that, it has land owner's names so I can quickly contact land owners as I'm driving around and ask for permission. Serious game changer to my hunting.