• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March 2.5-25x52 "Eyebox" Issues - resolved with larger objective?

grizzlestomp

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have to pick a rifle scope for my new build, and likely won't be able to look through whatever I select in person before I go ahead with it. Man, it is tough to wander through the internet without getting pumped by good reviews and scared by the bad ones. Very tough to make a comfortable decision for high-priced optics for someone like me without the experience or ability to try them out.

I'm strongly leaning towards the March 2.5-25x52 with illuminated MTR-5 Reticle. If the gunsmith purchases it for me, can get it at a steal for around $2300 with his discount from bullets.com.

If anybody has one of these in Southern California, and would like to let me look through it, I'd be obliged and happy to drop off a case of beer for your trouble.

I've read all the debate on this (and other) forums about the finnicky parallax adjustments and "eyebox" (which I assume refers to exit pupil and eye relief), and am wondering if the new model with the 52mm objective resolves either of these issues. Or if they are really that big of a deal to begin with.

On their website, March lists the following relief values:

Low (2.5) High (25)
85-100mm
(3.35-3.94inch)
89-96mm
(3.5-3.78inch)

These ranges seem about on par with (or better than) other scopes, such as the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50 (3.35"-3.54"). As far as exit pupil, there is a direct correlation between magnification and objective. I don't see why the March Scope would be any different. (i.e. all scopes that go up to 20x+ with 52mm objectives have exit pupils below 3mm at that mag).

Anyone have experience with this model specifically? Is the parallax really that tough to dial?

Generally, I really like the idea of a scope with 2x or 3x on the low end for target acquisition. Not a big fan of the limited FOV on scopes starting at 5x. While I don't think I'll spend much time in the field above 20x, sometimes it is nice to have at the range when you can deal with the narrow exit pupil and get a consistent cheekweld.

The larger objective scope is a little more forgiving than the 42mm for lateral movement. It is about the same for the "fore and aft movement". Eye relief flexibility is a function of more than just exit pupil size, although exit pupil obviously plays a huge role. The way March eyepiece is designed keeps the eye relief flexibility relatively tight.

That having been said, I have a fair amount of mileage with both versions of the scope and I was not unduly bothered by it in actual use, since for tricky shootign positions, I would not be sitting at top magnification.

Parallax turret is very sensitive and I was more bothered by that than the eyerelief.

ILya

Grizzlestomp, Not so long ago I was so set on getting a March hunting scope. Light, plenty of magnification and glass quality that folks will go on & on about.. Hell Frank even gave a thumbs up review on it. In some circles that would be the green light. Well I procrastinated and came up with all kinds of reasons not to pull the trigger on this purchase. Keep looking and take your time.

I can't comment on the 52mm objective. I'd like to look through one myself to see how it compares to my March 42mm objective.

Before mounting my march I was worried about the eye box as the scope it was replacing was much easier to get behind while in hand. However, once I got the March mounted the eye box has not been an issue for me.

As stated in previous post, the parallax will be more of a noticeable difference in comparison to other scopes. I don't see it as a deal breaker, just something to get use to.

IMO, if the scope matches the specs and desires you're after go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with what it offers.

What Ilya said.

Mount any scope wrong and you will struggle.

The focus ring attachments on the parallax ring makes focus faster and easier.