• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

March 4.5-28 vs ZCO 527 for Rimfire

thisisthecreature

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2021
Vancouver, BC
I know this is a tough ask but is there anybody on the forums here that has a bit of time behind both of these scopes?

Looking for input on which of these has an advantage on a dedicated Rimfire match rig - DOF and Eyebox are both super important to me (which would imply the ZCO is likely the better choice) but that being said I do prefer the FML-TR1 reticle on the March a bit more based on the diagrams I've pored over (comparing to MPCT3X).

I really do like the March reticle (and ridiculously large FOV) but reports of unforgiving eyebox on OTHER March models due to their short design have me sitting on the fence between that and the ZCO. And there really isn't much info on the March 4.5-28 on the web. So I thought I'd put the call out to the hide here and see what folks think.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Reticle MPCT3X ENG.pdf
    223.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 6.44.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 6.44.45 PM.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 69
I am a square range shooter and had both for a short while. I had the ZCO for a while but when I got the March I sent the ZCO down the road because I liked total package better. I could see putting the March on my precision 22lr if I was to compete in NRL22 (the 22 currently sports a Vortex 6-36 which is wonderful but weighs a ton).

Here are my thoughts:
  1. The ZCO handled color and textures slightly better
  2. Paralax is a little less forgiving on the March
  3. I like the March "clicks" on the turrets better but wish March turrets had a locking mechanism
  4. ZCO illumination was better and easier to use
  5. The TLR-1 reticle is easier to use at low magnification
  6. FOV on the March is all that and then some
  7. This is a purely personal thing but I liked the TLR-1 reticle better than the MPCT2. I like that the tree goes above the windage and that it starts earlier. I also like the .5 mil dots around the cross.
Hope this helps.

I actually can chime in here haha I have both. March 4.5-28 with the PDK reticle on my rimfire and ZCO527 with impct2 on my Centrefire. I could happily swap around. Reticles are similar and I’m very happy with both. I’m mid 40s so really doesn’t make a lot of difference to me, as eyes are getting real shitty, and my main PRS comps are on a square 500 metre range here in Australia. I’m sure in different environments there would be a difference but for what I’m using them for both are great. In saying all that ZCO is definitely my favourite, it’s big and bad and suits the AT-X and the compact March suits and looks cool on the Shorter, lighter Vudoo. March is a couple grand cheaper too (in Australia). Cheers.

I have a March 5 - 40 on my tactical rimfire so I will just talk about that.

Firstly, eyebox. Set your scope up correctly and you will have no issues. Set up any scope wrong, and you will get problems. For positional shooting this means taking shots during practice time in multiple positions to see what happens. Also it means adjusting your zoom setting to suit both the position and the CoF. It also means tweaking your stock to fit your body shape.

With my 5 - 42 WA eyepiece, I can get a parallax free field of view in the lay back position at a much higher magnification than with the 5 - 40. I think that is the most "unconventional" shooting position we do as it tests the shooter over their equipment.

As always, shop around for ideas, but the bottom line is that whatever you choose should work. The biggest variable, however, is alway the nut behind the bolt.