• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

March 5-40x56 vs sightron 5-40x56

Rickyd1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2023
England
I’m looking for a big dialer, I have looked at the March and the sightron, on paper the only plus point i can see on the March is the turn indicator. This isn’t a major issue for me. What’s the glass quality like between the two? Is one noticeably better than the other?

I am not familiar with the Sightron 5-40X56, but I am well acquainted with the March-FX 5-40X56. So, I had to look at the specs of the Sightron SVIII 5-40X56 ID IR ZERO, which I think is the one to which you are referring.

Well, you said you wanted a big dialer, and that Sightron is certainly big. It's a 40mm tube to the March-FX 34mm tube. The March's tube is 4mm thick which is the reason for the increase from the regular 30mm tube. It's very strong. The 40mm tube in the Sightron seems to be used for the large increase in adjustment range compared to the March. I prefer using canted rails and Burris signature rings to stay as close to center as possible for the best IQ, but that's just me. Others like to dial to the extremes. The Sighton has 40mil of elevation to the March's 21mil.

The Sightron is 16.8 inches long, the March is 15.3 inches. The big difference is the weight. Sightron 49 ounces; March 32.6 ounces. That's over a pound difference!

The Sightron had ED in the name, because they have started using ED glass. The March doesn't have ED in the name because they have always used ED glass in the riflescopes with an objective larger than 24mm. In fact, March pioneered the use of ED glass in riflescopes. Now they have Super ED glass in some of their offerings and that's denoted by the use of HM (High Master) in the name. The March-FX 5-40X56 does not have HM glass, but it does have ED glass, always had.

The Gen II March-FX 5-40X56 also has lockable turrets and a fast focus eyepiece, along with the nice FML-PDKI reticle. It comes with lock-flat flip caps, a modifier disk, a fast lever for the magnification and other things. It also comes in 0.1mil turrets or 0.05mil turrets. The Sightron comes with 0.1mil turrets but I never understood why they specify that is at 100meters. Same with their adjustment range; 40mil @ 100 meters.

I wish you could compare the glass side by side. I have that Sightron scope and an ATCAR, and the glass between the two is even. Turrets might be better on the ATCAR. I've never looked through a MARCH scope.

I think it is going to be a hard comparison. Pick the reticle you like and whether you want the heavier scope with great travel, or the one that has easier to find quality rings. We are a dealer for both. I had to come to terms with just how good the Sightron is, given their very average heritage. From all accounts, the quality of the optics are both fantastic. The decision will come down to weight, tube diameter (good and bad) and reticles.

Keep in mind, both will be outside the normal realm of production (meaning small numbers), but March is a micro producer. You might spend a week deciding, just to find out that one or neither are available. I think we have one Sightron available, and looking at distributors, it is pretty bare shelves. For March, we have a few, but ordering from March is a six month ordeal, so if we sell out, we will be out for a while. This is not unique to us, I am just giving you an example. Nightforce is a long wait as well, but a good many dealers keep a good many 7-35's, and same with Vortex and Leupold.

March is known to be one of the best riflescope glass makers in the world. I do not know much about Sightron but someone asked ILya about that specific scope: https://darklordofoptics.locals.com...ts-on-this-new-sightron-with-the-40mm-tube-ht and here is what he replied:
Optomechanically, it is a rather nice scope. I do not like the reticles too much, but LRM reticle is reasonable. At $3k, I think it is a non-starter, but at around $2k as I have seen these a little while back, it is a lot of performance for the money.
If you are looking for larger elevation travel, there is a March 5-42x56 ( https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d42hv56wfiml/ ) that has 40 mils. I have that scope and really like it. It also has larger FOV.
Finally, there is March Genesis 6-60x56 ( https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d60v56gfiml/ ) with 114 mils elevation travel. IMHO Genesis has the best glass I've ever looked through.

Last edited:
if you don't need the 40x magnification both the Zeiss S3 and S5 have 40+ mil of travel and very nice reticles