• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

March 5-42 HM vs Zeiss S3 6-36

Nagor

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Hey all, need some opinions on this debate. I’m looking at either a new Zeiss S3 6-36 or a used March 5-42 HM. Both come in at around 4k cdn. Optic would be going on a 6.5cm and used for everything except hunting. From what I’ve read the March checks a lot of box’s but a drawback is the resolution, CA, contrast, ect are sub par around the edges. Is that blown out of proportion? Unless you’re a optic snob could you really tell when you’re behind the optic or is it noticeable to the average eye?

Im leaning towards the March cause it has top tier turrets, superior elevation, wider FOV, and comes with scope caps and sunshade.

Just looking for some opinions from people that have gotten behind or owned either if not both and if there is a clear winner or if it’s a close comparison.

Thanks everyone

Reactions: PearShooter
You have to put things in perspective. The March-FX 5-42X56 HM has the widest FOV of any riflescope of which I am aware. My numbers show it has having a linear FOV about 20% wider than the Zeiss S3 6-36. I have looked through a March-FX 5-42X56 and I am always astounded by the huge FOV. Of course, there may be some drawbacks to such a huge FOV, and that may be the reduction in IQ at the edges of the FOV, but when you compare it to the Zeiss, you will notice that the Zeiss simply does not show that portion of the image because of its narrow FOV.

Now I usually use the center of the image to aim on target. I do like being able to observe conditions, and the hits and misses directly in the riflescope and for that a larger FOV is desirable.

A more direct comparison would be how the visible FOV portion of the Zeiss looks through the March.

The Zeiss actually has a fairly wide FOV for a 36x scope, but it's not a specialized/optimized optic like the March FX-HM that's designed to have an extra-wide FOV. The Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 is a great scope with excellent glass. I really like mine. It's a lot of scope for $2,500.

How are they both $4000 Canadian when the Zeiss is $2500 here and the March is $4100?

Reactions: FuhQ
Op mentioned new Zeiss vs used March, but it is a bit of apples to oranges. An optic that cost me 50% more should have some visible improvements.
Edited to add, apparently prices north of the border are very different than on the US side

The S3 6-36 retails for 3500+tax here and I have a deal on a used March for 4000. Razor G3s are 4400+tax here.

How used? I think March only has a 5 year warranty.