• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March-F 1-8 x 24 mm Zoom Scope (First Focal Plane)

kristian55

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2010
In anticipation of the end of 2012 March has pleased the production of a series of new sight First Focal Plane:
March-F 1-8 x 24 mm Zoom Scope (First Focal Plane).
March proved once again that really is the <span style="font-weight: bold"># 1</span>.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Total length-258mm </span>(10.16inch)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Secifications</span>

Magnification <span style="font-weight: bold">1x 8x</span>
Effective Lens Diameter 24mm
Body Tube Diameter 30mm
Exit Pupil 2.4mm 3mm
Field of View, real 20°
35.27m/100M 2.5°
4.36m/100M
Eye Relief 86-98mm 86-98mm
1 Click Adjustment 0.1Mil
Elevation Travel 56Mil
Windage Travel 56Mil
Focus Side Focus / Parallax
Distance 10YD-infinity
Finish Matte Black
Reticle (First Focal Plane) Illuminated FMC-1
without Illuminated FMC-1
Total Length (-1D) 258mm (18.69inch)
Weight <span style="font-weight: bold">530g</span> (22.6oz) non illuminated
<span style="font-weight: bold">560g</span> (19.75oz) illuminated

Further description and review will be made upon receipt.

Re: March-F 1-8 x 24 mm Zoom Scope (First Focal Plane)

Got anymore info on the MARCH1-8x24? I did not see anything on the website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got anymore info on the MARCH1-8x24? I did not see anything on the website. </div></div>
I hope this will be presented on Shot Show 2013.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Reticle</span>
Reticle-2.jpg

Reticle-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got anymore info on the MARCH1-8x24? I did not see anything on the website.</div></div>

http://marchscopes.com/tactical-1-8-x-24-ffp.html

I'm digging the design of the reticle. Specifically how the posts taper down so they are usable in both high and low mag. I wish they did the same for their higher magnification scopes. Therefore it would be thin enough for higher mag, but still visible at low mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do we suspect the price will be on these? </div></div>
I could be wrong but is planned the price level March tac.1-10x
+
is developing new reticle for March-F 1-8 x 24 mm FFP.
P.S.
Leupold:
M6 1-6(L-10.3",W-0.482kg.)
M8 1.1-8(L-11.8",W-0.657kg.)

I REALLY like the tapered reticle lines that are useful on high and low mag. It looks like 1 mil hash marks, and that is ideal for ranging and hold overs.

However, daytime visible illum is mandatory on an optic in this mag range to me. Aimpoint bright day illum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unreconstructed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I REALLY like the tapered reticle lines that are useful on high and low mag. It looks like 1 mil hash marks, and that is ideal for ranging and hold overs.

However, daytime visible illum is mandatory on an optic in this mag range to me. Aimpoint bright day illum. </div></div>
Friend RedDot and Riflescope - are two different things and for different purposes.
P.S.
RedDot will never be Riflescope and Riflescope
functionally not will RedDot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do we suspect the price will be on these? </div></div>
+
P.S.
Leupold:
M8 1.1-8(L-11.8",W-0.657kg.) </div></div>

I don't understand....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do we suspect the price will be on these? </div></div>
+
P.S.
Leupold:

I don't understand.... </div></div>

What? I could be wrong but is <span style="font-weight: bold">planned the price level March tac.1-10x</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do we suspect the price will be on these? </div></div>
+
P.S.
Leupold:

I don't understand.... </div></div>

What? I could be wrong but is <span style="font-weight: bold">planned the price level March tac.1-10x</span> </div></div>

Do you mean that the planned price is to be the SAME as the March Tac. 1-10x?

"March-F 1-8 x 24 mm Zoom Scope (First Focal Plane)
This zoom scope has an 8x magnification ratio, which is the highest magnification ratio in a FFP (first focal plane) configuration rifle scope made to date."

^ quote from the website. Their 8x is the highest FFP magnification in the world? Umm, okay....

It has side focus!! I like what I see so far. About $2000 maybe or more?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got anymore info on the MARCH1-8x24? I did not see anything on the website.</div></div>

http://marchscopes.com/tactical-1-8-x-24-ffp.html </div></div>

Thanks, I was looking at the DEON japan site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"March-F 1-8 x 24 mm Zoom Scope (First Focal Plane)
This zoom scope has an <span style="font-weight: bold">8x magnification ratio</span>, which is the highest magnification ratio in a FFP (first focal plane) configuration rifle scope made to date."

^ quote from the website. Their 8x is the highest FFP magnification in the world? Umm, okay.... Magnification Ratio,

It has side focus!! I like what I see so far. About $2000 maybe or more?
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unreconstructed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I REALLY like the tapered reticle lines that are useful on high and low mag. It looks like 1 mil hash marks, and that is ideal for ranging and hold overs.

However, daytime visible illum is mandatory on an optic in this mag range to me. Aimpoint bright day illum. </div></div>
Friend RedDot and Riflescope - are two different things and for different purposes.
P.S.
RedDot will never be Riflescope and Riflescope
functionally not will RedDot.
</div></div>

Thanks so much for sharing with the class that a red dot will never be a rifle scope, etc.

I'm confident that the grown ups on this site see the merit of daytime bright illumination in a low power 1-(X) mag scope. There are options available now and daytime bright reticles are becoming more common.

These look like great optics. Good post here.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I'm confident that the grown ups on this site see the merit of daytime bright illumination in a low power 1-(X) mag scope. There are options available now and daytime bright reticles are becoming more common."</span>
Friend,
but it's still not a collimator.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Reticle.</span>
I received a reply from Stuart on the elaboration
new reticle:
"Kristian,
I dont claim to be expert on this type of shooting as we do not do it. But generally CMR stands for 'close and medium range'
I see that many of them have a circle of anywhere from 1MOA to 5 MOA.
The first reticle available from DEON is <span style="font-weight: bold">FMC-1</span> and its circle is <span style="font-weight: bold">6 mils</span>.
The second reticle is still being developed but Gary Costello from the UK and ourselves are having input to that. We want an extra circle added which may be about <span style="font-weight: bold">20 mil rad</span>. Therefor two circles. So when the FFP scope is zoom up towards <span style="font-weight: bold">8x</span> the larger circle is out of view. When operating at low power (mainly 1x) the larger outer circle will be easy to pick up and view for that very close range contact.

Stay tuned

Have a great Xmas and New Year,
Stuart".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These look like great optics. Good post here. </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">SHOT 2013</span>
Annie & Stuart Elliott
(BRT Shooters Supply,PO Box 1124, Springwood. 4127. Queensland, Australia)
also will represent March tac.1x-8x FFP

Are they offering more than a 5 year warranty yet? That would be news worthy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"March-F 1-8 x 24 mm Zoom Scope (First Focal Plane)
This zoom scope has an 8x magnification ratio, which is the highest magnification ratio in a FFP (first focal plane) configuration rifle scope made to date."

^ quote from the website. Their 8x is the highest FFP magnification in the world? Umm, okay....
</div></div>

The quote claims the highest RATIO in an FFP, as in max mag 8 times the lowest mag, which is true.

March has scopes with even higher ratios, 1:10, such as their 8-80x, which is a truly astounding range.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm digging the design of the reticle. Specifically how the posts taper down so they are usable in both high and low mag. I wish they did the same for their higher magnification scopes. Therefore it would be thin enough for higher mag, but still visible at low mag. </div></div>

The March F 3-24 has the tapered reticle as well. I've used it on 3X several times when shooting from moving platforms and it worked really well. Easy to pick up and great field of view for a 42mm objective.

Nice, but no Aimpoint bright reticle!

anyone check this out at SHOT?

Specifications

<span style="font-weight: bold">Magnification 1x 8x</span>
Body Tube Diameter 30mm
<span style="font-weight: bold">Exit Pupil 2.4mm 3mm</span>
Field of View, real 20°
35.27m/100M 2.5°
4.36m/100M

Has anybody used this scope yet? The field of view at 1X is good but the exit pupil is <span style="font-weight: bold">extremely</span> small! In comparison, at 1X the NXS 1-4 has 16 mm of exit pupil vs 2.4 for this scope. The eye box will be VERY unforgiving when you need it most. This seems to be the trade off of these large zoom erectors.

The stated EP @ 1x Is a typo. Should be 24mm. This is theoretical value for EP (Obj. diameter/working magnification). Should be verified though. Typically, theoretical EP is easier to obtain at high mag than low. Field stops and inside diameter of reticle frame can reduce EP at low power.
Regarding retail price point, the guys at the booth stated the following:
D8V24FML US$2100
D8V24FIML US$2700 (Illuminated)
Their booth was downstairs and unfortunately they lost their nice long-distance viewing when the Sands chose to shut and lock the double doors in front of them this year. Meanwhile, upstairs S&B had their nice expensive location and their nice new 1-8x24. Ran into the Deon factory people there, studying the PM-IIs rather closely. Expect good things from Deon.

March website says length 258mm (10.16 inches)-NOT 18+ inches. I love my March F 3-24.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kelbly's</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">New March Scope</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">New Rifles</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">New GRS Wood Stocks</span>

http://youtu.be/8Dk9QzMEykk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Specifications

<span style="font-weight: bold">Magnification 1x 8x</span>
Body Tube Diameter 30mm
<span style="font-weight: bold">Exit Pupil 2.4mm 3mm</span>
Field of View, real 20°
35.27m/100M 2.5°
4.36m/100M

Has anybody used this scope yet? The field of view at 1X is good but the exit pupil is <span style="font-weight: bold">extremely</span> small! In comparison, at 1X the NXS 1-4 has 16 mm of exit pupil vs 2.4 for this scope. The eye box will be VERY unforgiving when you need it most. This seems to be the trade off of these large zoom erectors.</div></div>

I have been behind nearly every model of March scope, and you just hit the nail on the head. Even if the exit pupil is misstated on this scope, all of the others have been way too small. It may be fine for benchrest or just shooting prone, but the first time you have to get in an awkward position the tiny exit pupil becomes a huge downfall.

The March 1-8x24mm FFP is a pretty sweet scope. It is the smallest and the lightest of all of the 1-8s, and also had the best 1x IMO.

March1_zpse247a59e.jpg

Reticle at 8x:

March2_zps84505e6c.jpg

Reticle at 1x:

March3_zps1a22481a.jpg

I wasn't wild about the reticle, and unfortunately the illumination is not daytime visible. They are planning on releasing it in May. However, not all of the reticles will be released at that time.

YES,construction reticles...a little,conservative approach.
P.S.
Kristain,
We are back home now...............

OK, March 1x-8x info is on my website.
I can tell you we have designed another reticle for it. In that reticle there will be a larger second circle there. So it will work better at 1x. Then at 8x the larger circle nearly disappears.
I know that you will want Horris Vision reticles possibly but we cannot do that
http://marchscopes.com/tactical-1-8-x-24-ffp.html

Regards,
Stuart

I have contacted March regrding the exit pupil, their answer:

"Sorry, the exit pupil (2.4mm) on the catalogue is not correct.
Please correct it as the below.

1x-8x24FFP

at 1x Exit pupil 8.6 mm
at 8x Exit pupil 3.0 mm"

All the 1-8X scopes have relatively small exit pupils at 1X compared to 1-4X scopes, due to the more complex erector. The S&B 1-8X has only 6.8 mm at 1X.

Since at 1X one really wants a FAST, forgiving, easy to obtain sight picture, I wonder how do these 1-8X scopes perform at very short range. Perhaps a 3-18X or similar scope with a piggyback MRDS is better, and the "all around" practical scope is still in the 1-4X range.

Any opinions from users of 1-8X scopes? How do they perform at close range compared to a red dot sight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that you will want Horris Vision reticles possibly but we cannot do that</div></div>

Not Horus, christmas tree style similar to what they have in the USO 1-8x and IOR 1-10x and 1.5-8x scopes. Horus is too cluttered IMO. Many companies have created reticle that achieve the same thing without the clutter (Gen2 XR, EBR-2B, G2DMR, etc...)

It was mentioned to me that March is working on this kind of reticle for this scope.

IOR 1.5-8x FFP @ 8x:

Ior2_zpsf2dd0e52.jpg

USO 1-8x @ 8x:

USO2_zpsd9aa2a9a.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR 1.5-8x FFP @ 8x:

Ior2_zpsf2dd0e52.jpg

USO 1-8x @ 8x:
USO2_zpsd9aa2a9a.jpg

</div></div>

kombayotch:

Any pics of the IOR and U.S.O. illuminated reticles at 1x?

Yep!

IOR 1.5-8x FFP @ 1.5x:

Ior3_zps8ad2553b.jpg

USO 1-8x @ 1x:

USO3_zps6e21f39e.jpg

Thanks!

Did the IOR illumination appear to be daylight visible?

I don't recall for sure, but I don't believe it was.

Anymore about this scope now that SHOT is over?