• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March FFP 5x-40x56mm !!!!!!

Ian A. Kelbly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
OH-IO
Guys,

I was just told a new prototype will be on it's way and we will be displaying it at the Shot Show this year!
The scope will be a FFP 5x-40x56mm with a 34mm tube. It will be on the same body as the March X 5x-50x56mm. I do not have specs on reticles, total turret travel, or FOV. As soon as I have this info I will get it up on here to show everyone!

Thanks,
Ian A. Kelbly

Re: March FFP 5x-40x56mm !!!!!!

Is this going to be a target version, or will there be a tactical version as well similar to the 3-24?

It's going to be a "tactical" version per se. I think that the power will be too high for a practical tactical scope. I don't know what the FOV is so I can't really make a guess at that. I do know that they will be with tactical turrets and reticles from March. There will not be any target knobs or reticles in them.

-Ian

Did they mention if they fixed the issue of having a small eyebox on this scope?I'm guessing with the 8x magnification ratio this will still be a problem, but you never know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian A. Kelbly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

I was just told a new prototype will be on it's way and we will be displaying it at the Shot Show this year!
The scope will be a FFP 5x-40x56mm with a 34mm tube. It will be on the same body as the March X 5x-50x56mm. I do not have specs on reticles, total turret travel, or FOV. As soon as I have this info I will get it up on here to show everyone!

Thanks,
Ian A. Kelbly </div></div>

Hi Ian.
There are plans on reticle H-37?

The tight eyebox on the high magnification is nothing that can be overcome
frown.gif
it would be an engineering marvel to be able to have and 8x zoomrange and a big eyebox. I will talk to them about this more at Shot and see what can be done. I'm doing my best to get the tactical market and awesome scope that will be very desireable. International markets want the high zoom range FFP scopes.
Kristian55 we will never have a Horus reticle in a March scope. They will not let us cut the reticle into glass, they have to do it.
Thanks,
Ian

Why don't they cut it to a 6-30x or similar, to reduce the mag ratio and chop out some of the eyebox issues? FFP scope users, regardless of location, generally don't want nor need a very high zoom range. At 40x, the FFP reticle will blot out the target, or have to be compromised so much not to, that at lower ranges, the reticle detail will small, tending towards unusable.

Ian,
I know they have put some money into the 8x zoom. But, I think the doctor is onto something with a 5x-6x zoom more forgiving eye box and the ability to get .03-.05 dimension to the center of the reticle. FFp, Ml1 5-30x50-56 with a thin reticle would be outstanding with the quality of your glass and turrets.

I would also be interested in one of the knocked the mag ratio down to 4x or 5x.

Yep, no sense in building a "tactical" BR scope..... Bring the mag ratio down to something reasonable, or give the 3-24 a 56mm objective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian A. Kelbly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tight eyebox on the high magnification is nothing that can be overcome
frown.gif
it would be an engineering marvel to be able to have and 8x zoomrange and a big eyebox. I will talk to them about this more at Shot and see what can be done. I'm doing my best to get the tactical market and awesome scope that will be very desireable. International markets want the high zoom range FFP scopes.
Kristian55 we will never have a Horus reticle in a March scope. They will not let us cut the reticle into glass, they have to do it.
Thanks,
Ian </div></div>
OK Ian.
Thank you for an answer.
Reticle- it can be that similar to to Premier Gen2XR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't they cut it to a 6-30x or similar, to reduce the mag ratio and chop out some of the eyebox issues? FFP scope users, regardless of location, generally don't want nor need a very high zoom range. <span style="color: #FF0000">At 40x, the FFP reticle will blot out the target</span>, or have to be compromised so much not to, that at lower ranges, the reticle detail will small, tending towards unusable.
</div></div>

In FFP the ratio of reticle size to target/picture is constant across the magnification range. It's SFP that the ratio changes with magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or give the 3-24 a 56mm objective. </div></div>

This. It would be nice as a 34mm tube, 56mm obj and the short pagkage.

If I understand correctly, I don't think the eyebox has much to do with the magnification range, but rather the magnification itself... I've never looked through a march scope but I'm guessing the eyebox on 5x is just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian A. Kelbly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

Thanks,

Thanks for the heads up Ian!

Please keep the 10 mil knobs and 10Y parallax.

If I were to guess I'd think that most folks here would like to see maximum turret travel and illume,ZS as well. Tell your scope designers not to get all hung up on 8x and above mag ratio's. We would be plenty happy with something like a 5-35x50 with a forgiving eyebox but staying with the March theme of lightweight and compactness as much as possible. There are already some heavy standby 5-25x56 34mm truck axles for people to buy on the market.

For a combination of stunning glass, compactness and reliability I think Hensoldt has it covered.

Where Hensoldt is leaving a gap is range of reticle choice or more modern reticle choice across its scopes and upper end magnification in FFP scopes. As someone said earlier, a standard thickness reticle with thinner cross hairs enables a very wide range of application with full capabilities across the magnification range in a FFP. If Hensoldt provided that with what it has right now then who would want anything else? (or if anyone provided that...).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't they cut it to a 6-30x or similar, to reduce the mag ratio and chop out some of the eyebox issues? FFP scope users, regardless of location, generally don't want nor need a very high zoom range. <span style="color: #FF0000">At 40x, the FFP reticle will blot out the target</span>, or have to be compromised so much not to, that at lower ranges, the reticle detail will small, tending towards unusable.
</div></div>

In FFP the ratio of reticle size to target/picture is constant across the magnification range. It's SFP that the ratio changes with magnification. </div></div>

Yes, you're right and I've probably explained myself all arse-backwards. I should have just talked about reticle dimensions and the trade off
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I understand correctly, I don't think the eyebox has much to do with the magnification range, but rather the magnification itself... I've never looked through a march scope but I'm guessing the eyebox on 5x is just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong though.</div></div>

This is absolutely correct. If they made a 6-30X56mm scope, it would have the same eyebox as using the 6-30X magnification on the 5-40X56mm scope. It's the objective to magnification ratio that effects the eyebox. That is [one of] the reasons Hensoldt only offers 56mm or larger objectives, even for a 12X max scope.

Thanks,

Now this sounds interesting...

Please keep me in the loop on this Ian if you do not mind (and I will definitely stop by during SHOT).

A couple of comments on eye relief flexibility:
-the biggest problem with eye relief flexibility at high magnification is how small the exit pupil becomes. For example, at 16x, a scope with a 56mm objective will most likely have much more flexible eye relief than a scope with 42mm objective lens simply because of the size of the exit pupil.
-Hensoldt in addition to having excellent eyepiece design also configures their scopes to have moderate magnification and large objective lenses.
-On magnification range: generally, it is more difficult to make a scope with flexible eye relief when the magnification range is large.

With all of the above having been said, I found the eye relief flexibility of the March to be perfectly reasonable to me at magnifications where exit pupil is large enough, hence my interest in the higher magnification (larger objective lens) version.

ILya