• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March riflescopes FOV compared

Denys

Turbulent Optics Student
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2012
    Texas
    Here is a little diagram I have put together showing the field of view (FOV) from a March-X 10-60X56 HM with a standard eyepiece (about 20 degrees on the left, at the FOV from the March-FX 4.5-28X52 HM with the 25 degree wide angle eyepiece. The target for both scopes is 21 yards away and I set the March-X to its base magnification (10x) and then adjusted the March-FX to match the size of the number 20 on both scopes. That also showed as 10 on the March-FX (you would expect it to do that, but it's nice to confirm.)

I then used my Smartphone to take pictures through the two riflescopes. It was epic, but I finally managed to get a decent one from each riflescope. You can immediately see that the eyepiece on the March-FX is substantially larger than the one for the March-X. That's how those eyepieces work. If you want to have the same apparent magnification on you also want a wider FOV, you need a larger piece of glass. Actually, as a photographer, I find the use of "wide angle" to be incorrect here as in photography , using a wide angle lens reduces the magnification. I consider these WA eyepieces to be the equivalent of an IMAX movie compared to a regular format movie. So maybe they should be called IMAX eyepieces but that would lead to trademark issues, I'm sure.

Anyway, here is the picture and please excuse the bad pictures, handheld is tough. The white dotted circle is something I added to show the equivalent view of the March-X on the March-FX view; it is not part of the reticle.

FOVCompared.jpg

That is a very good way to show why one rifle scope can be more usable at lower magnification over another as well. Well done.