• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March Scope help

aggiegolfer09

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Looking to get this model to go on a light weight build thats purpose will be for elk hunting and some long range target shooting. March 2.5-25x52 2nd focal plane I will either go with this or also considering saving some money and going with a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20

I am a little confused on these images on their site about the reticles. It looks to me like the subtentions are right at 10x. Which I find strange. AM I reading this right? Also I am confused about this chart. Can anyone explain?

Anyone have this scope and what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• scope 1.png
    scope 1.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 50
  • scope 2.png
    scope 2.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 55
  • scope 3.png
    scope 3.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 46
I think I would prefer 2nd focal plane on this since I will do more hunting with it. I think the reticle would be to small to see on the lower power end.

The March 2.5-25X52 is quite the scope for hunting and also long range shooting. Since it is a second focal plane, the reticle substensions will vary according to the magnification. The MTR reticles listed for that scope, are the same reticle used in other March SFP designs For instance, the MTR-5 that you see listed for the 2.5-25X52 is the same as the one in my March-X 5-50X56 or March-X 10-60X56 HM. Let's look at the MTR-1 and MTR-3. The little table listed with the reticle design show the subtensions at various magnifications, and they are all based on the view at 10X mag.

Therefore at 10X, each division represents 4 Minutes Of Arc (or Angle.) So at 100 yards, that's a tad over 4 inches. Now at 10X, the subtensions will remain 2MOA regardless of the distance to target.

Now as the magnification increased, the subtension of the reticles decreases. At 20X, it's now 2MOA, again, at any distance. In my 5-40X56 or my 10-60X56 HM, the subtensions are the same. Now, when I go to 40X (double the 20X), the subtension value will be half of the value at 20X. Of course, the March-X 8-80X56 will again halve the value of the suspension when set to 80X (double the 40X, as rge subtension value goes down ti 0.50 MOA, again at all distance.

In the 2.5-25X52 the value of the divisions at 25X will be 1/2.5 of the 10X magnification or 1.6MOA. It all looks a little confusing but look at it this way:

2.5X is double the value at 5X, and 4 times the vaue at 10X: 16MOA.
5X is double the value at 10X; 8MOA
10X is 4MOA
20X is 2MOA
25X is a quarter smaller than 20X.

I've used one on a borrowed rifle, excellent scope. The version I used was an MOA MTR3 version,
good eyebox, excellent glass and perfect turrets. Looking at the chart you posted, @ 25x its one to one
IE; 0.2 MIL = 2 CM @ 100 meters. Easy math to shoot on 12.5, and double the reticle subtension value.