• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March Scopes: Looking for comments from those who have used them

cvbond

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2007
Warner Robins, Georgia
I am very interested in anyone's experiences with March Scopes especially the 1x10 tactical and 2.5x25. All I know about them is enough to ask the question.

I just received my march 2.5-25 about a month ago. I am waiting for things to warm up and to get my rifle back from the smith to really put it to the test. I went this route due to wanting ability to have covered turrets in a high end light scope. My set up is mainly geared toward hunting and thus a lot of the other commonly chosen scopes on here were out due to being just about 1 pound more in weight. If you have specific questions let me know. Glass is clear as you would expect. The clicks are very positive. Overall, it's basically about what I expected and maybe a little more thus far

Thanks. i looked at them at SHOT but is is hard to tell anything there especially in view of the fact their booth was in the basement. My hunting rifle is light weight and I have a huge SWARO mounted on it but want something lighter and more compact. My memory is that the illumination is not necessarily day time visible but I can live with that. Which reticle did you choose?

I would welcome your impressions after you are able to put it through its paces at the range.

All I can say is mine have great optics, solid feel and track well. No one else comes close competing with their size and weight. Mine are the tactical 3-24 42mm and 5-40 56mm and are not illuminated, so can't speak to that, but I can guarantee you won't be disappointed, if you decide to try one.

I also have a 3-24X42 FFP, non illuminated. Their weight and size is what sold me on it. I drove up to Kelbly's and spent the afternoon there. The clicks are very positive, repeatable tracking, the zero stop is simple and the glass is GREAT. They do have their limitations on light transmission due to their size but it's not bad when you consider the mag range. Colors and clarity is top notch and I usually don't find the need to run over 18x since the glass is so nice. Some people will also say that the eyebox is touchy at high mag. I don't find that to be the case but, I have a consistent cheek weld.

I am using my PH 5-25X56 as the comparison.

Fireguyty's review is what sold me on them and they are truly unique size and weight wise and I have not been disappointed. Also, very well priced for what you get!!!

I have a 5-40 and a 3-24 on the way. Absolutely love em. Optics are awesome, turrets are great, low profile, and the zero stop is about the easiest there is. Illumination is great at any power. No bleeding, crisp. They are all I shoot now.

I am very interested in anyone's experiences with March Scopes especially the 1x10 tactical and 2.5x25. All I know about them is enough to ask the question.
Hi.
I have some March tac..
March tac.. 1-10x:
Glass is clear - +100% better than the S&B,NF,LeupoldM8
The clicks- +100% better S&B,NF,LeupoldM8
ZERO Stop-easier to use, more reliable.

March tac. 3-24FFP- is the best choice than March tac. 2.5-25SFP
Glass is clear - +100% better than the S&B,NF,LeupoldM8,M6
The clicks- +100% better S&B,NF,LeupoldM8,M6

RETICLE-conservative approach, while FML-1 and NEW FMA is a super RETICLE.
I'ma fan HORUS.

If you have specific questions let me know.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all of the comments here. It is nice to have the voice of the experienced before dropping so many dimes on a scope.

Well I hope they are good, I ordered a 2.5-25x42 from Kelblys just a couple days ago. It was an easy decision based off size and weight, I don't get why all these other "tactical" scopes weigh so damn much.

I wish the price for the illumination wasn't so much more. I have a non-illumated 3-24 FFP with the FML-1 reticle (similar to the MP-8 dot reticule that IOR uses). I haven't had the opportunity to shoot much since last November, been busy, so I am not able to give an honest review. I will say I like the size of this scope and that was one of the main reason I went with it.

Well I hope they are good, I ordered a 2.5-25x42 from Kelblys just a couple days ago. It was an easy decision based off size and weight, I don't get why all these other "tactical" scopes weigh so damn much.
This is my opinion... ONLY!
March tac. 3-24FFP- is the best choice than March tac. 2.5-25SFP
Glass is clear - +100% better than the S&B,NF,LeupoldM8,M6

I just got my March tac. 3-24FFP yesterday have not mounted it yet. In hand the glass looks great, as others have posted the turrets are crisp and well defined. I have the high illumination module (std) and it is daylight visible and crisp. I'll probably order the low module down the road it's about ~$60. The mag range, weight, and size are what sold me. I was on the fence for a while vs a S&B but I think I made the right decision for my application.

Huang

I know Kelby's is the only US importer but I have yet to see a US price list. What is price point on the March? And yes I know features change price, just looking for a low end/high end. I have been saving for a USO but have had my eye on the March for quite a while.

Sully

I know Kelby's is the only US importer but I have yet to see a US price list. What is price point on the March? And yes I know features change price, just looking for a low end/high end. I have been saving for a USO but have had my eye on the March for quite a while.

Sully

I have used USO and they are good scopes but to my eyes and based on limited exposure, the March Scopes have much clearer glass than anything USO offers. I also believe the USO scopes are much heavier. Based simply on what I have read here and my limited experience, the March is either better or way better than than the USO.

I just got my March tac. 3-24FFP yesterday have not mounted it yet. In hand the glass looks great, as others have posted the turrets are crisp and well defined. I have the high illumination module (std) and it is daylight visible and crisp. I'll probably order the low module down the road it's about ~$60. The mag range, weight, and size are what sold me. I was on the fence for a while vs a S&B but I think I made the right decision for my application.

Huang

Are you saying that the illumination modes, high and low, can be swapped out by the user?

Sully

USA price list on this link:

http://marchscopes.com/files/marchscopes/Price-List-Kelbly-2013-Retail-BRT-website.pdf

I've had a March 3-24x FFP for three or four weeks now. Very, very pleased. Like others, size and weight in this quality class steered me in the direction of March.

I own or have owned one or more FFP scopes by USO, NF, IOR, Premier (LT), and Leupold. While all have been quite good, the March is easily my favorite, and I'm considering selling other scopes to get another March. (After the beefy IOR, never really aspired to own S&B, Hensoldt, etc due to size and weight.)

Of the three FFP scopes from March, the 3-24x appears to be the best option regarding size, weight, reticle (FML-1), 0.1-mil clicks, and 10 mils per turn. It barely weighs more than the 1-8x, which is only 5 mils per turn and not available with FML-1 reticle. The larger 5-40x, besides the obvious size and weight difference, has 0.05-mil clicks if I remember correctly, which I don't perfer.

While nearly all optics seem overpriced in my opinion, the price of the March without illumination seems relatively reasonable. The added cost of illumination seems way out of line, but I paid for it anyway.

Last edited:
Drifter, thank you. The prices seem very reasonable to me. The illumination does seem a bit pricy and I'll have to consider that option. As a LEO precision marksman all my scopes have illumination; however, on 90% of the call outs I have yet to use it, but on the rare occasion I need it...

Sully

March scopes will exceed your expectations. Great reticles and zero stop, not to mention size and weight. Well worth the price. Deon has done it right. 5 year warranty due to Japanese law, but Kelby has stated he will take care of you after that. Go on-just get one and you'll never go back to those "boat anchors".

PS-Very sturdy scopes and take a beating without issues.

Last edited:
And that is what sealed the deal for me. Ordering the D24V42FML. I just really like that FML retical and FFP, zero stop... with 10% off you just can't pass it up.

Sully

A long time ago I wrote a reveiw of the 1-10x. It is not even close to my current standards but here it is (1/5th of the way down):

The variable, low power multipurpose scope review thread - Page 6 - AR15.COM

The basic rub on March scopes is that they have very small eye boxes and are therefore tough to stay behind. I think that the Benchrest guys actually like this because it lessens the chance of any parallax. I find them quite difficult to use. I have not heard any problems with durability or tracking with them. The construction seems to be first rate. They just feel to me like they are designed by the optical equations without actually testing them to see how they feel. I will be reviewing the 1-8xffp this summer. At Shot it seemed more usable than the older 1-10x. I'm hoping that it will be a better experience.

I agree with the sentiment. Weight seems to be an ignored aspect of design for many of the people that make tactical scopes. It doesn't have to be this way. Good, tough, and clear optical platforms that are light do exist. The Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 weighs in at only 18.4oz, has a 5x erector ratio, and 70MOA of adjustment range. The problem is that Zeiss does not make the HD5's with compelling features.

Not trying to hijack a thread, as i belive it pertains to the original question. I would just like a little clarification. Goin'Hot, or anyone else that has/had a March and Premier, how would you compare and rank them? Thank you.

A long time ago I wrote a reveiw of the 1-10x. It is not even close to my current standards but here it is (1/5th of the way down):

The variable, low power multipurpose scope review thread - Page 6 - AR15.COM

The basic rub on March scopes is that they have very small eye boxes and are therefore tough to stay behind. I think that the Benchrest guys actually like this because it lessens the chance of any parallax. I find them quite difficult to use. I have not heard any problems with durability or tracking with them. The construction seems to be first rate. They just feel to me like they are designed by the optical equations without actually testing them to see how they feel. I will be reviewing the 1-8xffp this summer. At Shot it seemed more usable than the older 1-10x. I'm hoping that it will be a better experience.

I agree with the sentiment. Weight seems to be an ignored aspect of design for many of the people that make tactical scopes. It doesn't have to be this way. Good, tough, and clear optical platforms that are light do exist. The Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 weighs in at only 18.4oz, has a 5x erector ratio, and 70MOA of adjustment range. The problem is that Zeiss does not make the HD5's with compelling features.

1-10x SFP riflescope great but slower than 1-8x FFP.
The actual use of 1-10x,- fast shooting at 1x and 5 x, and thoughtful long-distance shooting at 10x - it's a great riflescope, but one should know of his task.

Hi.
March 1-8
The clicks- +100% better S&B,NF,LeupoldM8

March tac. 3-24FFP
Might be just me, but my BS alert just activated. Have tried March, very briefly though.

Would a March tactical 3-24x42 be overkill on a Scar 17s? Max range on the Scar without shooting at the sky is about 600yds.
Skip

Would a March tactical 3-24x42 be overkill on a Scar 17s? Max range on the Scar without shooting at the sky is about 600yds.
Skip
Hi.
3X-Really you can work on a distance from 2.0m.-2.5m.,-
is the minimum focal distance to the nearest target.
Reticle allows.

I have trouble believing its better than an S&B but I am very interested

I'm looking at getting the hunting 2.5-25 x 42 and wanted to see if anyone had experience with them. George at gap had one and it light and small. I'm used to NF scopes and Zeiss and wanted a comparison.

My only experience was at SHOT and as I posted earlier I only was able to see one in the building. I too have used NF scopes which I prefer to Zeiss. Based on what I saw the glass in the March was just as good as the NF but one reason I started this thread was I wanted to hear from members who had actually used them past the 50 yard view I was able to secure inside the convention center.

The basic rub on March scopes is that they have very small eye boxes and are therefore tough to stay behind.

I had read about the potential issue regarding the eye box, and experienced it firsthand upon initial mounting of the scope. At 24x through a 42mm lens, the exit pupil is indeed rather small. But after a day or two of actual use, I no longer notice it. If this scope will be one's primary optic, it seems to become a non-issue. If someone shoots numerous rifles and optics regularly, it might be noticed each time switching back to it. It's also less noticeable below 18x, and 24x is best reserved for more stable shooting positions.

Bottom line is that the eye box is something a potential buyer should be aware of, but it's also something that seemingly becomes less significant with actual use.

I've been through alot of scopes the past few years.

Started with a 3,5-10x40 Leupold Mark 4. Ditched it for a Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56. Ditched that one for a 5-25x56 Sub PMII. Owned that one while evaluating the Kahles K312.
Ditched the PMII for the 3-24x42 FFP March.

What I can say is this:

The March kicks the ass of the other scopes. It may not kick every scopes ass at every occasion (for instance Kahles has better depth perception), but in the end I think the March is the best scope of all the above.

It's light, has excellent optics (better than SuB? Yes.), FFP, a great zero stop, great turrets and the reticles are perfect.

Gents,

Own both the FFP models and a 2.5-25 SFP. Are they good scopes, yes. Are they better than S&B's, Hensolts, Premiers - down to your eyes and needs - your money your choice. The 3-24 replaced my S&B 5-25, I've not felt so far this was a bad move, but thats me.

Bit off topic, do not feel, having owned NF's that the NSX models come into the same grouping, sorry. The new ATACR is a 10 year catch up that should do this (but not handled one), have they got the Beast ('Beast' FFS!) working yet, the one at the Shot show was broke .

Brgds Terry

Is there a good working link to Kelby's? Tried the one linked earlier and it didn't work. Contact info anyone? Thanks fellas.