• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March Scopes

Ian A. Kelbly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
OH-IO
New in the tactical market is the March scopes. Coming out of the Benchrest discipline comes custom made tactical scopes. They feature a ladder type reticle much like the Nightforce NPR-2. They cut the weight of most scopes by around 10 oz. They have Tactical knobs with zero stop sets and can be illuminated. The scopes are made out of one piece of aluminum and feature hand lapped turrets and ED lenses in the key lenses of the scope. The scopes do not have any plastic parts and all lenses and fixed pieces are epoxied in. March is currently working on new Tactical reticles. The powers available now are 10x-60x and 5x-32x. Late summer they will release the 1x-10x and 2.5x-25x. After using mine for the first time on sunday I am in love with them!

Check em out! www.deon.co.jp/march/

Ian Kelbly

Re: March Scopes

What's with the Five Year Warranty. As to cost, if the BR scopes are indicative of the Tactical sort, they'll be $2k +.

Ian, is Kelbly's going to be selling these?

My issue with these scopes is the amount of internal travel. I don't buy optics with less then 70 minutes of elevation anymore.

Wow...6x or 10x erectors? Hasn't Bushnell had a tough time making the 6x erector for the Elite6500 series? What effects does having such a wide magnification range cause?

The reason for the smaller amount of travel in the scope is because of the high amount of magnification. A scope that is close to the amount of magnification is the nightforce 5.5x-22x and it only has 65 MOA of travel. The way this can be overcome is by adding a 20 MOA rail to the receiver. The reason for only a 5 ear warranty is because of Japanese law. Deon is a custom manufacturer and can only produce 1200 units a year, and cannot have over a 5 year warranty. All costs on the Deon website is on the order sheets. The order sheet also shows all of the options available. The scopes are only sold in America by Kelbly's Inc and we would be more than happy to answer any questions you guys have. When we were at the shot show the Military asked us to work on a first focal plane scope for them in Mil-Mil. As of that date Deon was to begin design on these scopes, we are also waiting on response from the government branch that is interested.

The wide magnification is crystal clear, the only real problems is the mirage factor at high power in a hot day but the scope shade and modifier disk helped me overcome this problem on Sunday at the Thunder Valley shoot. I felt very comfortable using the scope at a lower power though, because of the clarity allowing you to see the target much easier than my other scopes owned previously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian A. Kelbly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason for the smaller amount of travel in the scope is because of the high amount of magnification. A scope that is close to the amount of magnification is the nightforce 5.5x-22x and it only has 65 MOA of travel. The way this can be overcome is by adding a 20 MOA rail to the receiver.</div></div>

I think you need to take another look at Nighforces specs. The scope you mention has 100 moa of adjustment. However I do understand what you are saying about limited elevation due to high magnification. Many high magnification models suffer from this. But it is not impossible to overcome, examples are nightforce and Sightron. All in all I think that March will do well as they seem to offer an OK product. If they were to change a few things on their tactical line I think they would do much better though. Some of the things I read when going through the specs that I didn't care for are:

-1/8 moa click values, I prefer 1/4
-Limited internal adjustment, my preferences are stated above.

But like I say I think these will do alright and do really well with some refinement.

I am sorry for the misquote of the Nigthforce scope. One of the advantages of the 1/8 MOA click is the fine adjustment at long range. The March scope is the best scope n the market for precision shooting. Since its introduction in the Benchrest market it has not been beat by any other manufacturer in any major competitions. The whole problem though is that everybody and there brother wants something different, and not all can be pleased but we will work as hard as we can to please as many people as we can.

Seems that if they're wanting into the "tactical" market, they need to ditch the 1/8 clicks. It's been my experience that 1/8 moa adjustments are a BR desired feature.

March (Deon) would be well served if it dealt directly with the Tactical shooting community when doing the research necessary to introduce a new product intended for the Tactical shooter. Target competitors obviously are a bit out of touch with the Tactical shooters needs.

Some misguided choices on March's first entries in the Tactical arena include:

1/8 clicks instead of the much more practical 1/4 version. We need the ability to dial up and down QUICKLY, with the fewer elevation turns the better.

SFP as opposed to the much easier to use FFP reticle placement. Again, speed is a very important factor and the ability to range a target at any magnification is a big advantage.

I would require:

The availability of mil/mil adjustments along with MOA/MOA gives the Tactical shooter the ability to choose which system suits him best. A reticle configured in mils combined with a MOA adjustment turret is just plain old fashioned. They should have known better!

A wide choice of reticle options would allow the shooter to "customize" his scope. Something that would be a value added feature at March's price point. Imagine ordering up a USO or a NF for example and not having a varied choice of reticles?

A service center for repairs and modifications located here in the US. NF, USO, Premier, and Leupold are done here and a shooter will always appreciate the fast turnaround as opposed to a two-way trip across the Pacific.

Surely a high-end Japanese optics company could find a way to offer a lifetime warranty on a product at March's price point. I really don't buy the "Japanese Law" excuse. Give us a "no excuses" transferable lifetime warranty if you expect our business.

I have no clue as to just how much input Kelblys had in the design of the March Tactical scope, but I'd think that more study should have been done before bringing a finished product to the Tactical market. Don't expect BR (or F-Class) competitors to be aware of what makes a top-notch Tactical scope. Seek out the leading Tactical rifle builders and competitors for input, along wth slotted LE and military snipers. It's not that hard to do. Some of these folks can be found right here.

To March - you build 'em like we want 'em and I'm sure that we'll buy 'em. Other than that, all you'll have is another high-priced target scope that's been re-badged "Tactical" but without the features that are deserving of the name.

Please don't take this in the wrong way. I welcome the addition of a new high-end scope manufacturer to our game and want to stress that competition surely does improve the breed. Get on board and manufacture the kind of scope that this community wants and needs. Do that and I might be one of your first customers.

My gunsmith and his boss are crazy about this scope. They are F-class guys and say it's the best thing ever.
A lot of people make some pretty good scopes. Sometimes when they want to sale more of them they go tactical. They add an uncovered target turret and a milling reticle that usually don't match in unit of measurement. They fail to beef up the scope but they paint it matt. Sometimes they even add an illuminated reticle.
I built my big boy gun to be able to play F-class with my gunsmith buddies and I like a high power scope, but want it to still go to pretty low magnification. I am forced to use MOA turrets in order to have tighter correction over mills at range, but 1/8 is too much for a dual purpose scope.(semi tactical) I know of one company who is able to deliver all of this and still are able to deal with every ones wants and whims for their scope, they make them right here in America. (well sort of=CA)
I am excited to see weather this is the best thing ever or another matt black benchrest scope.

I am glad to hear all of your responses. We are very open to these suggestions and love to hear all of them. I am new in the tactical game also I shot my first match and was hooked and i did notice a few things that you guys mention. A FFP scope allows a shooter to range with the same data and not have to know two different points where they can range. As of now March is increasing their reticle line and refining the scope line too. As a newer high end manufacturer they are building the company, and their line. All scopes as of right now are MOA adjustments and MOA reticles. Being new in this game I am excited to learn the new discipline and hopefully get to meet alot of the tactical community!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They looked nice at the shot show, They need to work on a First focal plane, Mil adjustments model.

2.5x25 will be nice </div></div>

Big +1 for GA George.

An FFP reticle in a 2.5-25 is going to have to be one special design. I can't imagine one in scope with 6x power factor, let alone a 10x power factor. For those who have not thought about this.....the reticle will appear 10x thicker at full power as compared to low power, as well as the inverse.

I look forward to seeing this!

$ 3,100 is a little out of my price range
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">March (Deon) would be well served if it dealt directly with the Tactical shooting community when doing the research necessary to introduce a new product intended for the Tactical shooter. Target competitors obviously are a bit out of touch with the Tactical shooters needs.

Some misguided choices on March's first entries in the Tactical arena include:

1/8 clicks instead of the much more practical 1/4 version. We need the ability to dial up and down QUICKLY, with the fewer elevation turns the better.

SFP as opposed to the much easier to use FFP reticle placement. Again, speed is a very important factor and the ability to range a target at any magnification is a big advantage.

I would require:

The availability of mil/mil adjustments along with MOA/MOA gives the Tactical shooter the ability to choose which system suits him best. A reticle configured in mils combined with a MOA adjustment turret is just plain old fashioned. They should have known better!
</div></div>

The Deon Spec Sheet says 1/4 MOA for turret adjustments on the 2.5-25 model....the 5-32 & 10-60 models are 1/8 MOA. I agree that 1/8MOA is out of place for a tactical rifle. I suspect they are just porting over their BR models and haven't had time to fix this. But the 2.5-25 is brand new and does have 1/4 MOA adjustments.

They chose MOA turrets and a nice MOA reticle. While I prefer mil/mil turret/reticle, this is an acceptable start.. That said, I'm waiting for the mil/mil model to come out later in the year. :)

Personally, I like SFP reticle...doesn't cover the target at high magnification. My laser rangefinder works great thank you.
smile.gif

The 5 year warranty is a major issue for me, given the price point on these. How does Nikon get around Japanese law??? Whatever they are doing, Deon needs to do...if they want to sell a lot of these scopes. How many people are going to spend 3K for a scope when the warranty is much shorter than its competitors? This is a major issue I think.

My gunsmith is also a top benchrest shooter and uses March scopes...along with quite a few others apparently. Surprisingly, he said the glass was very good but not noticeably better than competing scopes. He said he is tired of scopes that don't track reliably and lose their zero.......ummm Leupold. I asked him "why not Nightforce?," if that was his issue. His response, "they are too heavy."

Regards,
Scott

I own one of these 10-60 March "tactical scopes". My first comment would be that the current models 5-32 and 10-60 are just benchrest models with MOA recticals. They do not have adjustable turrets that are exposed all the time like a Mark 4,NF,and S&B. This was a topic that I discussed with the salesman on the phone. He said they indeed were tactical turrets. I really don't think that he intentionally lied to me at all, I think that as a benchrest shooter he was just confused as to what I was really asking. Also, once you remove the cap and the turrets are exposed the numbers are small on the turrets I would prefer that they be bigger but then we are right back to the 1/4 moa issue as it's hard to put big numbers on 1/8 moa clicks. I do not mean to bash this scope at all. It's an excellent scope just not ready for the tactical arena in its current configuration. I will have to say that it does track like a train. I would like to disagree with Scott's gunsmith a little and say that the glass is far superior to NF & Leupold. I cannot comment on S&B as I do not own one. However, a guy at the range the other day does own a 5-25 S&B and he seems to think that the March glass was every bit as good as it is. I hate to have such a long post but I thought perspective from someone who actually owns a March as well as other tactical scopes would go well. I would be more than happy to talk to Mr. Kelbly if would pm me and I would give him a call.

I just looked at the March website and it does appear that they have added the tactical style turrets in the picture that I see. That is a large improvement. My scope is only 3 months old so I assumed that they were still just like it is. I would like to know if I could add the tactical turrets to the model that I have?

I forgot to mention earlier that on 20x it is a 2moa rectical and 1moa on 40x.

Also if the mirage is not bad 6mm bulletholes at 600 yards are easy to see.

SevenBat you can have the tactical knobs and a zero stop set added by the manufacturer, they will get new knobs(they are currently out) in July. It will cost about 100-150 bucks, but they are well worth it. They will even run a few tests to check and see how your product is working. If we misinformed you at all I do apologize about that. I myself had been under the impression that the "Tactical" version had tactical knobs from Deon but we have to order those extra on top of the reticle. I am glad to hear that your scopes tracks excellent that is why we began importing this scope. As far as the warranties are concerned, we cannot do a thing about Japanese CUSTOM SHOP laws, they are completely different from HIGH PRODUCTION shops like Nikon and NF. If you only buy a scope for a warranty then i'm sorry March isn't for you, buy the Nikon!

I don't claim to be any kind of authority on international warranty laws, but it seems to me that if a March scope is purchased by a US citizen in the US from their US distributor (Kelblys) there should be a way for Deon to offer a lifetime warranty for these scopes that applies to US customers only. Perhaps this would be a way to skirt the archaic Japanese "Custom Shop" laws. Or perhaps Deon just doesn't care?

I certainly can't speak for SevenBat, but if I was the customer who was "misinformed" (as Mr. Kelbly puts it) by one of Kelblys salesmen during my March Tactical scope purchase I would expect more than just a simple apology. Kelblys should offer to either refund the full purchase price of the scope including shipping, or pay for the Tactical turrets in full including the trip back to the factory for installation. Customers choice. That would be excellent customer service. Or is that kind of customer service not the standard in the BR community?

At this point I must agree with Mr. Kelbly! March just isn't for me. If this attitude changes in the near future they might get some of my business. Otherwise, I'll stick with USO and NF, thank you!

MIl, MIL, 34mm Tube to offer more internal travel, more reticles,
and Life Time Warranty on a scope this expensive or just build scopes that won't sell. Why would you spend that much on a Japanese scope with a 5 year warranty when you can have S&B, USO,
Premier, Hendsolt ect that are proven (I know the Premier is new)
with a lifetime warranty. Just like buying a Horus with a one year warrenty, why? And what reticle are you going to be able to see at 2.5 that doesn't look like a tree in your scope at 25x.
They really thought this one through for a tactical scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... And what reticle are you going to be able to see at 2.5 that doesn't look like a tree in your scope at 25x... </div></div>

a 10x magnification range is an industry first and may require some re-thinking on how things are done. With this range of magnification, there may not be any reticle that looks acceptable at all magnifcation ranges in FFP. That is exactly why I'm ok with a SFP optic, I"d rather have the 10x magnification...that scope will meet just about any need from close in to far out.

Mr. Kelby, these forums are here to provide honest feedback. Sometimes, it gets brutal, but its good feedback nonetheless. I hope you relay it back to Japan. These scopes are very promising....but there are a few "topics" that need to be addressed. :) "The customer is always right" is a quote the Japanese invented!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... And what reticle are you going to be able to see at 2.5 that doesn't look like a tree in your scope at 25x... </div></div>

a 10x magnification range is an industry first and may require some re-thinking on how things are done. With this range of magnification, there may not be any reticle that looks acceptable at all magnifcation ranges in FFP. That is exactly why I'm ok with a SFP optic, I"d rather have the 10x magnification...that scope will meet just about any need from close in to far out. </div></div>
It's time to recognize the usefulness of today's compact laser rangefinders for determining the distance-to-target. When combined with a SFP reticle in a variable scope with a high zoom ratio, you will have a very versatile and accurate setup. The future isn't an innovative FFP reticle, it's an electronic optic that will tell you the range-to-target very accurately without mental calculation, gather enviromental information, and self-adjust for elevation and possibly windage. Many of these features are available today, but in a relatively large size and with inferior image quality and processing latency. Our fave USOs and S&Bs will eventually become "old school."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian A. Kelbly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as the warranties are concerned, we cannot do a thing about Japanese CUSTOM SHOP laws, they are completely different from HIGH PRODUCTION shops like Nikon and NF. If you only buy a scope for a warranty then i'm sorry March isn't for you, buy the Nikon! </div></div>

I'd be interested to see the law that says you cannot stand behind your product... Not saying it doesn't exist, stranger laws have been passed, but I would just like to read that for myself, to see where there coming from with with such poppycock.

Plus, I think you have it all wrong, nobody buys a scope for the warranty, me personally, I just feel a warm fuzzy knowing that my $2k plus investment is GUARANTEED safe from becoming a $2k plus paper weight...

If they're wanting to be a major player, and being held back by Japanese law, then move production out of the country...

I agree with Slug though, we have a lot of nice options out there with the S&B, USO, NF, Premier, etc... All of which are wiling to (or at least claim to) stand behind their product for the long run...

Rafael said:
An FFP reticle in a 2.5-25 is going to have to be one special design. I can't imagine one in scope with 6x power factor, let alone a 10x power factor. For those who have not thought about this.....the reticle will appear 10x thicker at full power as compared to low power, as well as the inverse.

I look forward to seeing this!

I designed a horseshoe reticle for a ffp 1-6 that may work very well in the 1-10. It was used in combat in both 1-4x and 1.5-6x scopes. The feed back was very positive. These two scopes used a solid 4 moa thick horseshoe for fast target engagement at CQB distances to 200 yds. At 1x the long range BDC is barely visible and not useable. As the scope magnafication is increased the long range aiming points and rangeing system become usable. I have a version of this reticle with a mesh horseshoe that may work better in the 1-10x scope. I don't think this reticle would work well in scopes with magafication above 10x.

Ed

+1 on FFP and 0.1 mrad adjustments.

I happened to get behind one of March's benchrest scopes last week and can attest to a phenomenal view through the scope. These have potential given a few "ruggedizing" efforts as well.

Ian,

Sorry if I missed it, but is the 1-10x24 a true 1X? It says it is on march's website, I just wanted to make sure it is actually 1.0.

Thanks,

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ian,

Sorry if I missed it, but is the 1-10x24 a true 1X? It says it is on march's website, I just wanted to make sure it is actually 1.0.</div></div>
Since there aren't any to examine, why not e-mail Deon in Japan and ask them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ian,

Sorry if I missed it, but is the 1-10x24 a true 1X? It says it is on march's website, I just wanted to make sure it is actually 1.0.</div></div>
Since there aren't any to examine, why not e-mail Deon in Japan and ask them? </div></div>

Just figured that Kelby would know, as they are a US sales rep for March products.

OK, if I could design a scope reticle I would have the ladder cross hairs stop leaving a 1/8 MOA gap at the center.
this will prevent ever covering your point of aim but I have never seen this anywhere!

I want a 10 60 x 52 with ffp and 1/4 click mid sized turret knobs I can set to zero and with clear markings for each turn up left and right.
solid clicks and a good non slip grip.

if you ever make this feel free to ship it to me for testing and review to be posted here. it might be hard to return.....

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was hoping to hear something on that 5 year warr. on a 3K scope.
Guess nothing has changed.</div></div>

I don't think BR types quite understand how we use our equipment. When your scope is carried to the range on a silk pillow in its own jewel encrusted box where it will be operated from a rifle bolted to a felt lined table with a good roof over it's head, it's hard to imagine someone would need more than a 3 year warranty. Heck, you only need to move the erectors once, and that's only if by some fluke POA happens to match POI (you wouldn't want those pesky holes messing up your POA.) It's not like the thing is gonna wear out...

As someone who has literally seen his rifle with a $2000 USO lifted 3' into the air by the wind and dumped scope-first into a mud puddle (it was sitting on a piece of cardboard in 40-50mph wind/rain,) I like knowing that there's a no-bullshit lifetime guarantee on my high dollar glass. It's much more fun to nonchalantly wipe the mud off the erector turret markings and go on shooting than it would be to shit yourself right then and there.

Well my Marches have seen wind water and mud in the past year and feel completely comfortable throwing it around. I cannot do anything to change the warranties, it is how 100% Custom Japanese products all are. The warranty is what it is and will not change. If you do not feel confident with it don't buy it!
The 1-10x is a true 1x and we just got our prototype back today from U.S. Special Ops tests and I'm excited to find out what they thought about our product!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian A. Kelbly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we just got our prototype back today from U.S. Special Ops tests and I'm excited to find out what they thought about our product! </div></div>

I hope you're planning on posting this information, I'm very interested in what they had to say.

I will post it once I know we are waiting to make any major changes until we hear their feedback.

I will be interested in the results of the tests and recommendations, and I would like to know if the "U.S. Special Ops tests" is a serious/formal test by some unit, with a few scope samples, or an informal test by one/two operators...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be interested in the results of the tests and recommendations, and I would like to know if the "U.S. Special Ops tests" is a serious/formal test by some unit, with a few scope samples, or an informal test by one/two operators...</div></div>

Yep, there are tests, and then there are tests
wink.gif

The US Army tests of the Beretta service pistol immediately come to mind. Predetermined results?

Then again, those SOTIC guys at Bragg would know how to test a scope! Or the SOCOM guys?

Yes Mr Kelbly, please by all meams post the test results here and don't forget to outine the test proceedures used amd which "Spec Ops" unit performed them. It promises to be interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian A. Kelbly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I cannot do anything to change the warranties, it is how 100% Custom Japanese products all are.</div></div>

I guess I don't fully understand what makes this scope "100% custom" but is he allowed to repair scopes sent in for service? If so, why not just offer $1 flat-rate repairs or something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian A. Kelbly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I cannot do anything to change the warranties, it is how 100% Custom Japanese products all are.</div></div>

I guess I don't fully understand what makes this scope "100% custom" but is he allowed to repair scopes sent in for service? If so, why not just offer $1 flat-rate repairs or something? </div></div>

Creativity only gets used when you actually want to solve the problem...

There is no problem. All scopes are fixed for free within the warranty and can be fixed by them. Their turn around is about 2 weeks from Japan! My leupolds when they broke and they always did was a month if I was lucky. And not everywhere has a free society that can choose their laws my friends that is why America is so great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's time to recognize the usefulness of today's compact laser rangefinders for determining the distance-to-target. When combined with a SFP reticle in a variable scope with a high zoom ratio, you will have a very versatile and accurate setup. The future isn't an innovative FFP reticle, it's an electronic optic that will tell you the range-to-target very accurately without mental calculation, gather enviromental information, and self-adjust for elevation and possibly windage. Many of these features are available today, but in a relatively large size and with inferior image quality and processing latency. Our fave USOs and S&Bs will eventually become "old school." </div></div>

I agree that this is where it is going... a scope, rangefinder, and ballistic calculator all in one. Automatice adjustments... probably not. It seems like additional weight and the user might want to override what the calculator says.

Apart from ranging. FFP also offers hold-overs at all mags. Great for when you need to get a shot off quick and don't have time to dial it in, or for wind, which can change quickly. With a 10X different in magnifications, FFP will probably not work well. That is a real tradeoff. Reticle size has always been a deal-breaker for some who have chosen SFP. The 10X range is useful and might cause a few more to think twice about FFP, but it is difficult to deny its usefulness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Apart from ranging. FFP also offers hold-overs at all mags. </div></div>

Exactly. Having a range finder is great (assuming it works, ironically the farther out you go the less likely it is going to work and the more important having an accurate range is...) but all the range finders in the world aren't going to erase the need to do windage holdover and quickly adjust for shot corrections. How do you shoot a mover @ 20x? How do you shoot a mover @ 7x if your reticle is useless? FFP answers both those questions by making them moot.

I was just on Hawke scopes website, the tubes look identical in design to these.
Is there some link between the two companies?