• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March Scopes

Re: March Scopes

I have had a chance to look through their 55x and the picture was clear edge to edge but the field of view was small. I'm not sure if those models are available yet but the large objective may improve this. You may have to call Kelb'y and place an order. I've read that the 80x has a tiny exit pupil range so it may be a pain to work with.

couldnt find anything in the google search about the 8-80 or the 5-50 X scopes. Thanks for the link though

Exit pupil = objective diameter / magnification
Exit pupil = 56mm / 80x
Exit pupil = <span style="font-weight: bold">0.7mm</span>

I bet that's an enjoyable scope to use!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exit pupil = objective diameter / magnification
Exit pupil = 56mm / 80x
Exit pupil = <span style="font-weight: bold">0.7mm</span>

I bet that's an enjoyable scope to use!
</div></div>

Oh yeah, it bet its a peach.

Sharp Shooter, What kind of shooting will you be doing with this optics? If your shooting F-Class you might want more magnification. I would go with a 8-32 Nightforce or even a 12-42. When shooting steel I would go with a lower magnification optic. I have been shooting 800 yards on 10x and having good success. My choice on magnification would me 3-15 or 5-25.

Hope this helped,

Rhett

80x

the only possible practical application i can think of is possibly for benchrest guys?

i dont do it... but is it possible that a benchrest guy might need that type of magnification?

I owned a couple of 10x60x50s. When you got past 40X. The scope darken up. Clear but couldn't gather enough light. We shot them mostly of 15 to 20X. I personelly don't really think you need more the 20X. I have shot my best groups at 12X. The more power in a scope will show to much detail (heartbeat,Oh not exactly in the middle,) You focus will switch from fundentals to focusing your reticle.
The specs on the inch pounds was 10 inch pounds. In a tactical scope, I would think the it could be a little be more. I always thought like NF, SBS, PR, was 15in pds. Leading me to think the scope tube was stronger.
Now on the scope Tracking Great, Clear up to 40X,desent turrets, I think this scope is more of a Benchrest scope.Decide what you use is going to be. tactical you don't need that much Mag.

Look at the availibility: Kelbys is the only supplier of March Scopes
Look at the warranty: 5 years to the origional owner
Warranty service: It MUST go back to Japan
Price: Kelby's is the only game in town

Nightforce 12-42 lifetime warranty, lots of dealers, serviced in Idaho

Schmidt & Bende 12.5-50X56 30 year warranty, lots of dealers, serviced in New Hampshire.

Something to think about.

Talked to Kelbys today they said the scopes are not available yet and are still in production. They expect to have them in by the end of May. I agree that there wont be very many times you can use the scopes at 80 powder due to weather conditions. I have 5 Nightforce scopes there great. Thanks guys for helping me realize that I rarely use my scopes over 22 power. I was going to buy a US optics scope in Olive drab SN3-2500 T-Pal but there was a 20 week wait. I started looking around and came across the March scopes.

The primary use of this scope would be to put on my 6x47 for steel and a little bit of varmit shooting. You guys are right thanks for helping me realize I dont need anything that large.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the availibility: Kelbys is the only supplier of March Scopes
Look at the warranty: 5 years to the origional owner
Warranty service: It MUST go back to Japan
Price: Kelby's is the only game in town

Nightforce 12-42 lifetime warranty, lots of dealers, serviced in Idaho

Schmidt & Bende 12.5-50X56 30 year warranty, lots of dealers, serviced in New Hampshire.

Something to think about. </div></div>
+100
I was very excited about the March technology: 10x mag range, super duper reliability. But the warranty sucks: face it. Also, I've concluded $3k is an outrageous price for a scope. I make multiple six-figures per year and can't fathom shelling out that kind of money for a single scope: just ridiculous. Get a NF.

IIRC the warranty on the march is so small because under japanese law any company under a certain size cannot give out a bigger one. Im trying to find out where I read that, and ive been told this by 2 people over here in nz who own march optics about this as well

I have a 5-32x52 and it is awesome. I have had a 10-60x and it was awesome, up to 35x. Beyond that I was asking myself what I spent the money on as light and picture quality drop to zilch.

I believe the 5x50 and 8-80x will suffer the same fate. Too much magnification. They are over the top and go beyond anything usable. Now if they could make a 3-30x or 3.5-35x they would have a winner for tactical and f-class, have good light and a usable range.

Sold the 10-60x and am waiting on two more S&B 12-50's (awesome up to 50x).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flying Dutchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 5-32x52 and it is awesome. I have had a 10-60x and it was awesome, up to 35x. Beyond that I was asking myself what I spent the money on as light and picture quality drop to zilch.

I believe the 5x50 and 8-80x will suffer the same fate. Too much magnification. They are over the top and go beyond anything usable. Now if they could make a 3-30x or 3.5-35x they would have a winner for tactical and f-class, have good light and a usable range.

Sold the 10-60x and am waiting on two more S&B 12-50's (awesome up to 50x). </div></div>

They do sell a 2.5-25x42 in the tactical section.

I have the NXS 8-32x56, Great scopes. I used to shoot at 32x when I first had it but then I realized I dont even need that much power. I shoot at 22x for long distance because that is my "Ranging Power" on the scope, it just means the reticle is true to its scale.

But yeah no need for anything over 32x, unless its a spotting scope.

Oh yeah I almost forgot another big problem with high magnification is follow up shots. I found my self searching for the target once I sent a round down range.

GG

After my PH went down for the 2nd I started looking into the 2.5 x 25. I have concluded I would rather have a scope with a 5 year warrantee and not need it than a lifetime warrantee I use every two months.

The benchrest boys say it is the best tracking scope on the market period. Question is well they hold up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Usdmgtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After my PH went down for the 2nd I started looking into the 2.5 x 25. I have concluded I would rather have a scope with a 5 year warrantee and not need it than a lifetime warrantee I use every two months.

The benchrest boys say it is the best tracking scope on the market period. Question is well they hold up? </div></div>
They have to hold up to track so well. Those two traits go together.

I looked at March awhile back, the warranty killed that consideration. I hear great things about the optics, but 5 years, I've got skivvies older than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Usdmgtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After my PH went down for the 2nd I started looking into the 2.5 x 25. I have concluded I would rather have a scope with a 5 year warrantee and not need it than a lifetime warrantee I use every two months.

The benchrest boys say it is the best tracking scope on the market period. Question is well they hold up? </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">They have to hold up to track so well. Those two traits go together. </span></div></div>

I don't think benchresters abuse their scopes like some tactical users do...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at March awhile back, the warranty killed that consideration. I hear great things about the optics, but 5 years, I've got skivvies older than that. </div></div>

I just want to scope that works well, I don't care about the warranty if it works well.

I bought 2 of 2.5x25 versions, one is the tactical and the other is the hunting version. As far as I see the glass is very good and I am no expert at all, and I have not looked through the top 3 optics for very long so i cant make a fair comparison. But the 2 scopes I ahve compared them too are Meopta Meostar R1 4x16 and Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 both tactical and the March easily blew them away on the detail I could see at the same power and distances, in that department there was no comparison to my eyes against those 2 scopes.
This weekend I will be shooting longrange and one of my buddies has a 4x16 Schmidt and Bender the Classic variable version and I will be comparing it against my March hunting version as I am curious to see if the glass is as good, and I will post my observations.
The reason I bought the march scopes is because it has so many good options for my uses, espicially hunting its very versatile.
Also the scope looks very well built and I think these guys will honour the warranty even if something happens after 5 years, but hope fully if something will happen it will happen sooner as I hunt in very cold weather and the coditions are pretty bad in Saskatchewan at the end of November.
So time will tell but from everything I've read I dont think I will be disappointed.
Elmer