• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March Vs Premier LT -- Real World Opines

strick9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2008
Mt Horrible, SC
I am looking for real world experience with these two Scopes specifically March 2.5x25x42 Moa MTR3 versus Premier 3x15x50 Mrad Gen XR LT.

Areas of focus and importancy to me are:

Light Gathering
Light Transmission
Minimum and Maximum power usefulness
Durability ( should be quite even here)
Repeatability ( should be even here as well)
weight
price

If you have one or the other please chime in with your likes and dislikes.

If premier offered Moa/moa and 3x20 it would be done deal for me, your thoughts?

Re: March Vs Premier LT -- Real World Opines

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nah man don't think that is the way to go, spending another grand to get these issues doesn't sit well with me

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...000#Post3544000

Anyone run both the March and the Premier LT, or have pros cons on one of the two? </div></div>

for what it's worth those are early issues, I havn't had any of the ones i've sold come back.

Point taken, however there is still the weight and price issue. Best I can make it out, I would be looking at near the same weight of the NXS and 1000 more for the SNB than either the March or Premier.

I'm interested in the Premier LT as well as i dont want the bulk of the full size heritage, very interested in hearing thoughts as well, especially those with the Gen2 XR reticle, i'm worried it's a little fine for a dual purpose rifle.

At the risk of being redundant, I'll be kinda brief.

Light gathering and transmission is excellent in the Premier Lite Tac. I hunt at night with a mini torch and can ID predators very well with precious little beam power. Eye relief is not critical and overall sight picture is fantastically user friendly.

Brightness: @ 15X magnification, the Lite Tac has a calculated 3.3mm exit pupil. The March has a 3.3mm exit pupil @~ 12.5X magnification. Low light condition performance should go the the Lite Tac, and factoring in the smaller 42mm objective, I can't see the March as being any more bright or forgiving throughout the entire range of the Lite Tac. The advantage of having 15-20x on top is up to you to decide.

Premier's Gen II Mildot is usable from 3-15X. Can't say the same for the XR, inner stadia are too fine for me until 7X or so. Illuminated center "+" of the Gen II MD acts like a 'red dot' at low power, and the outer posts are nicely proportioned to field of view. At increasing magnification, those heavy outers 'zoom away' from the sight picture, for lack of better terminology. I have the Gen II XR in my 5-25x, but the Gen II MD is preferable in the 3-15X.
I have no 1st hand experience with any of March's reticles.

Durability: haven't had any issues with my Lite Tac. Mine was on my GAP .243, now on a .22-243 getting bumped around a bit, but not beaten to death or bombed with Tannerite. No worse for the wear, though...

Repeatability: tracks true and returns to zero, no problemo with mine.

Weight: 26 oz. for the illuminated model

Price: Low $2K, on par with an NXS F1

I cannot speak for the Marsh…

Me and my hunting partners have a total of 6 of the LTs and a couple of the hunter models, all with the Gen II, and we have used them from pre-dawn to dark. Narry an issue with target aquisition. We have had these for 9 months or so.

I would not recommend the XR reticle in the LT. Too fine IMO for an all-round Big Game hunting scope. That reticle is better suited for higher magnifications.

The LT has the perfect combination of features (Great glass, illumination, useable Gen II FFP reticle, ZS, lo-pro turrets, relatively light weight, power range, etc.) that never leave me wanting.

Though I was tempted to try a Marsh just to try something different, I went with a 3-12 FFP Henny to put on a short barrel suppresed 308 and that too is an excellent optic and possibly my new favorite. Just wish it had CCW turrets.

I am getting away from the 20x+ high powered optics for big game hunting. I find it just is not needed even out past 600 yards. Most of the time my optic ends up being set at 8x to 12x when taking a shot.
For me, great glass trumps magnification for that application.

I have the March 3-24x42 FFP scope which is based on the 2.5-25x42.

I haven't used or seen the 2.5-25x42, but the 3-24x42 FFP is a really fantastic scope. The eyebox is very, very tight above 18x or 20x, but that's a compromise you have to make having such a small, light scope.

Cheers for the reports on the Gen2 XR, appreciate it.