• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marine Barracks Oct. 23 1983

Cornholeo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
Oklahoma city
[h=5]A moment of silence please:

Today, October 23rd, marks the 30th anniversary of the suicide bombing of the US barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. 241 American servicemen, including 220 Marines, 18 Sailors and three Soldiers died in the attack.[/h]Never Forget!

The Bradford pear trees that where planted in the median of the highway in front of Camp Lejeune where put there to remind us.... Drunks have been running them over for years and They are coming to the end of there lives and need replacing all at once, they have replaced them individually over the years from wrecks and disease but not many of the 241 trees are in good shape.

I don't even think people know why they are there.

Semper Fi Brothers! We won't forget!

This event also marks the coming up of the Grenada invasion, Operation Urgent Fury, as well. When we went on alert right after the barracks had been blown up we all thought it had to be for Beirut. We get to the briefing on the Sunday afternoon (the 23rd) and we get told we were going WHERE? Grenada? Some island off the coast of South America about 100 miles. Apparently, there seems to be a better reason for us to go there than Beirut. In the end, we did see the need to go there, with the political unrest and 260 American students being held hostage. But, many of us wished for the opportunity to go to Lebanon.

Only after I went into S-3, did I see how much logistics and intel it would eventually take to go there and actually do something productive. A quick strike in return, when you had nothing solid to hit, would do more damage than good.

RIP Brothers-in-Arms, Semper FI

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond their lands foam

Lest We Forget
We Will Remember Them

Its the Ode of Rememberance that we recite here in Australia on Anzac day, but in my book it applies to all those fallen in the line of duty.

I knew I shouldn't have opened this one. I lost ten of my friends that day. We had 13 of us went to boot together, a few to the same schools, then we all went to our separate duty stations. Rest in Peace my Brother's. We had a good time before that fatal day!

Semper Superbia, my Brothers, Always Proud!

Last edited:
I remember.

And the loss that same year of a certain man who was fond of carrying a Walter on his ankle.

And I remember the long hunt for those responsible: Not a day wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Beirut The Paris of the Middle East! Lebanon has some very beautiful Mountains, some far more lovely than anything in Europe. Every time I'm in the states and I go to a Lebanese place to eat, they recognize me right off. The Lebanese Christians always come and say thank you, for stepping in and saving us from the slaughter.....Israel took the fight to Lebanon for our American friends....We sent many of those that did this deed to the great beyond, and lost some of the best of us for our trouble.

Once again the western powers play, while the Israelis do the heavy lifting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I remember watching Ronald Reagans face when this happened. He was truly shocked.

We also lost 200 Army soldiers (was it 83?) in a plane crash. I forget the year but it seemed like it was around that time.

I remember watching Ronald Reagans face when this happened. He was truly shocked.

We also lost 200 Army soldiers (was it 83?) in a plane crash. I forget the year but it seemed like it was around that time.

101st Airborne coming home. Plane when down in Newfoundland, Gander?

I still cant believe we didnt get any payback for that one..................
remember that Colonel that was kidnapped and lynched....
how can you just write that stuff off?

Marine Barracks Oct. 23 1983

I still cant believe we didnt get any payback for that one..................
remember that Colonel that was kidnapped and lynched....
how can you just write that stuff off?
None of it was written off, politics simply got in the way.

Regardless, from 1983-1987 Bob Baer was working on finding out who gave the order.

It's detailed well in his book: See No Evil. A good, realistic read.

Last edited:
Pahker, just after New Year 67, I got sent up to run the Generator at Camp Carroll, then back for about a week, and then out to Hq/Hq 12th Marines Dong Ha. June 1, 67, I was PCS transferred to 1st AmTrac, Qua Viet. If I remember, right, Tall Paul was the Plt Leader, Capt Honse was the Co CO, and SGT Pulley was my Plt Sgt.

Yes, I know the website, and used to be a member of the 11th EngrBn Ass'n, including reunions when Charlie Luhan was doing things, but by the third reunion and only meeting guys from the second batch (post 11/67), I stopped participating.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg,

pm me
maybe you, me and Bollinger can get together, Bolloinger is in Flint Michigian I/m in Az///