• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marine Corps Recruiting

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
I honestly have no idea if this is where i should post this or for that matter if it is even allowed.

I am considering joining the marines and given the subject of this website I assume there are some retired and currently enlisted Men. I was just wondering what you think about your career choice, and if you would recommend it to others so on and so on.

Re: Marine Corps Recruiting

How old are you? And what are you wanting to do in the Marines? Be aware of what recruiters do, they are salesman with a quota to meet, not to offend anyone, that's just the way it is.

Well Jake, the Marine Corps is a fantastic organization but you seem to have a problem with "attention to detail" a significant trait looked for in Marines.

I have taken a few minutes to look up a few of your posts and see that you have asked a lot of questions without providing much if any background information. I think that I will chalk this up to immaturity/poor education.

Now that being said the Corps will beat (literally beat) this into you if you so desire but I wouldn't waste my time based on the information that you have presented so far.

Peace time is coming. I don't know what a peace time Corps looks like and I'm not gonna find out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peace time is coming. I don't know what a peace time Corps looks like and I'm not gonna find out. </div></div>

Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it. Iran is asking for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peace time is coming. I don't know what a peace time Corps looks like and I'm not gonna find out. </div></div>

Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it. Iran is asking for it. </div></div>

If it hits the fan I'll stick around, otherwise...

I definitely have a spot in this thread as I am currently processing with the Marines.

I am 21 years old. Nearly finished with college, and in great physical shape. I picked up shooting when I was 18, and and plan to incorporate that into Marine life. At 21 I know I do not know everything, nor do I claim to, but I do know what I want out of my life.

I have gone to MEPS, recieved a 95 AFQT and 129 GT on the ASVAB, but was sadly DQ'd based on minor unilateral hearing loss. I sought an audiologist, did further testing, received exemplary results, and worked to get letters of recommendation from him, as well as several Marine Corps officers ranking from Captain and up.

I am currently waiting on a waiver to be approved, but still continueing to train physically, along with school, and two jobs.

Presently I am up to 84 PU in 2 mins, 85ish situps in 2 mins, 3 mile run in 17:50ish, and 21 pullups non stop.

My recruiters have been very understanding and down to earth. Never have I received the "WE NEED YOU" aspect that so many recruiters have stereotypically been given. They have always been very up front with me, BS-free, and understand that I'm not a 17 year old kid in high school with no direction in life.

If the waiver is denied, and there is a possibility that it will be, I will not allow that to hinder my pursuit to serve.

Tikka'd, if you do decide to serve, do not go in so without giving your utmost dedication. There is no room for halfheartedness in any branch, especially the Marines.

I had three uncles who served during Vietnam, and thank God, all three came back. Upon making this decision I immediately spoke to them inquiring for advice, spoke to their friends who served as well. Talk to everyone you can. Of everyone I've talked to, all said they would do it again given the chance, but just be prepared mentally and physically for what may come.

Don't join unless you're willing to accept the consequences of your decision, whether you like them or not

Marines enlist for all kinds of reasons, but they only re-enlist because they know what they're doing and are willing to continue.

Don't do it because it looks like fun. Looks are deceptive, and that one most of all.

It's serious business, and maturity either arrives on the doorstep with you, or settles around your shoulders shortly afterward.

It's a lot easier to get off Parris Island than it is to get onto it, but if the former occurs, you won't be enjoying it.

The Corps can be a really bad place to be with two more years left on your enlistment and a real sour feeling in your soul.

If you want to serve your Nation, but the very real prospect of losing your life in the process doesn't sit well with your conscience, don't feel odd. If the idea of making the other guy die for <span style="font-style: italic">his</span> country isn't a comfortable part of your plan, stay away from the Corps.

In such instances, the Coast Guard will provide all the challenge and genuine pride of accomplishment that you can handle, and that will serve everyone's needs a lot better, yours included. There is no shortage of courage or honor in any of our Nation's services, but it's a simple fact, some of them are better for some folks than for others.

I've helped many of my former Boy Scouts find destinations in either direction and never had to feel guilty about it. The Corps and the Guard are much smaller organizations. I think that makes a positive difference.

Greg

I am not now, nor have I ever been a marine. I do know that Greg dishes solid advise that you can take to the bank.

Any military service is a choice with serious consequences, you need to know that going in. If you love the suck, and I mean love it, the Corps may be a great place for you. If you thrive on overcoming adversity, hardship, and misery to your benefit the you'll find a home. It's not the place for everyone, in the army I had plenty of joes that hit the half way point in thier enlistment and couldn't have hated thier life more. The truth is you'll never know until you try. One of my best friends was a marine infantryman for six years he loved every second of it, but it wasn't the future he and his wife wanted. The great thing about military service is that you don't have to make it a career when you are 18. If you and the service aren't compatable you can always part ways at the end of your contract. Hopefully to your mutual benefit.
Good luck.

+1 for what Greg said.

Be aware, peace time and huge budget and personnel draw downs are about to hit. The Marine Corps you're likely to experience won't be a war time Corps full of hard charges with a mission to accomplish, it'll likely be a toilet paper rationing, barracks rat experience. Some of the best experiences of my life have been while deployed. Some of the worst experiences of my life have been back home on base. In the Corps there are bush marines and there are barracks marines. Many such as myself who joined because we were in a state of war will be leaving soon. I plan on transferring to the Coast Guard as an officer. At least in the CG, operations are year round regardless of whether or not we are at war or peace. If you're almost finished with your bachelors, why not pursue a commission as an officer in one of the branches and lead?

Not trying to discourage you just giving you one piece of the picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Jake, the Marine Corps is a fantastic organization but you seem to have a problem with "attention to detail" a significant trait looked for in Marines.

I have taken a few minutes to look up a few of your posts and see that you have asked a lot of questions without providing much if any background information. I think that I will chalk this up to immaturity/poor education.

Now that being said the Corps will beat (literally beat) this into you if you so desire but I wouldn't waste my time based on the information that you have presented so far.

</div></div>

Wow, take it easy on the kid. Remember back when you were 17, probably no tthe brightest bulb in the pack.. At least he's wanting to get involved. JMTC

Or he could always right a book.

Sorry for falling behind on this. I am 20 years old and currently in the second semester of my Sophomore year at Abilene Christian University. I appreciate all of the insight given so far. Although I will admit this might be a spurr of the moment decision, I do think the feelings are true. I think the best course of action for me now is to stay here finish my schooling and make sure that I choose the right thing for me.

Stay in school if you can,
I had to have the G.I. bill to go to school,born poor so you do what you can. I can say that what I learned in the military put me out past those out here as far as work wise,as most like to bitch and wine about how things are and such. I just ask what needs doin and get it done. You will have a hard time dealing with folks out here after as they get pissed when things dont go their way and you make shit happen.
Good luck however you go young man.

If you're in the service right now, or can get in, it's not a bad place to be in this economy. But lots of folks who joined the reserves so they could get tuition assistance got a rude awakening when we went after Saddam. You join the services today, you <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> see combat.

Anyone who seriously believes we are entering a period of peace and tranquility probably also believes in the tooth fairy. Things in the Middle East appear (to me) to be finishing up with the preliminaries and setting up for the main event.

Don't leave school until your studies are actually completed, or the rug comes out from underneath. A degree makes a valuable difference, in or out of the service.

A guy should take his time picking either a service, or a wife.

I didn't join the Corps, I was drafted. I <span style="font-style: italic">had</span> joined the Air Force, to be a Missile Electronics Tech, but the draft notice took precedence, and I ended up as an Engineer Electrician, i.e a Sparky Seabee in Marine Corps Green. The difference probably saved my life in 'Nam. I did my two and went back to my job with IBM. Never got to college.

Everyone's path is unique. BTW, coming up on 42 years married. I have teenage grandkiddos.

Greg

You make a lot of good friends get to see the world for what it is and learn to see the bull better. My suggestion is if you do decide think in timespans of 4 years. Give it all you got and demand more of yourself for those 4 years don't be a turd strive to make the military better for you and others. Once 4 years are up only you can decide if you should stay.

Personally I'm leaving to many politics and this peace time thing really is hampering my whole mission accomplishment troop welfare before looking good philosphy.

My opinion and I don't really care if you disagree is you never put "upholding the standard" and looking good before mission accomplishment and troop welfare.

Peace time military will suck in my opinion bunch of sissies looking for free college, prancing around calling themselves "warriors".

But on a sidenote the military does set you up for success if you apply yourself in it or outside it.

BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU:
get a lawyer or someone highly educated in military law to sit with you, read the contract , and advise you. Do not sign anything that alters that contract. Do NOT sign to "give up any sign on bonuses".
Best of luck.

tikka'd,

You could always join the SMCR. Get paid to go to school. Go to recruit training during the summer, come back get a semester out the way, go to SOI, come back and finish school and drill while you are getting your degree. By the time you finish school you can transfer over to the active component if the Marine Corps is where you want to be.

PM if you have any questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tikka'd,

You could always join the SMCR. Get paid to go to school. Go to recruit training during the summer, come back get a semester out the way, go to SOI, come back and finish school and drill while you are getting your degree. By the time you finish school you can transfer over to the active component if the Marine Corps is where you want to be.

PM if you have any questions. </div></div>

The 92 day reservist program outlined above has been discontinued. Thank goodness too, it did the Corps no good and didn't do any favors for the 92 day wonder either.

Also, the USMCR is the only branch of reserve/national guard/active that does have tuition assistance. You'll get about $300 a month towards school from the old GI bill but that's it. If you get deployed then you'll have access to a percentage of the post-9/11 GI bill.

Also keep in mind, the Marine Corps is notoriously known as underfunded. Imagine how much more so the reserves will be.

I've been in the reserves for 14 years. I joined when I was 27. It's a great sacrifice to serve in a time of war. I have lost friends killed in combat. It's a decision only you can make. I am proud of my service. I'll say that if you want to, then go ahead. You'll always wonder if you don't. One enlistment in the Corps, and being a Marine will be a part of who you are forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You make a lot of good friends get to see the world for what it is and learn to see the bull better. My suggestion is if you do decide think in timespans of 4 years. Give it all you got and demand more of yourself for those 4 years don't be a turd strive to make the military better for you and others. Once 4 years are up only you can decide if you should stay.

Personally I'm leaving to many politics and this peace time thing really is hampering my whole mission accomplishment troop welfare before looking good philosphy.

My opinion and I don't really care if you disagree is you never put "upholding the standard" and looking good before mission accomplishment and troop welfare.

Peace time military will suck in my opinion bunch of sissies looking for free college, prancing around calling themselves "warriors".

But on a sidenote the military does set you up for success if you apply yourself in it or outside it. </div></div>

Agreed.

Peacetime service can suck balls, true. In the end though, it will be what you make of it.

Make no mistake about it: it is a lifestyle choice. A way of living. To see it as anything less will assure your separation after your first term.