• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Marine tex cure time

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
The manufacture states 24hrs for a cure time on marine tex gray. I was wondering if I should give it more time than that before shooting. Anyone know the time frame on curing?

Please advise.

Thank you,
Merritt

Re: Marine tex cure time

all the stocks that I have bedded, I shot the next day.

Marine tex cure time will be greatly reduced if heat is added, i.e., a 100 watt light bulb or something like that. I cure my bedded stocks on the wood stove in the winter time.

If too much heat is applied though, it will cure too quickly, and crack or split, so dont stick it in the oven on 350 or anything like that.

I was planning on doing the bedding Wed. and have a competition on Sat. If I don't apply heat will I still be safe? Thanks for the input guys.

Thanks,
Merritt

This time of the year, you are likely fine with 24-36 hours of cure time. If we were in the dead of winter and the stock was sitting in an unheated pole barn, then it'd be a different story.

Ok last question. How long should I leave the action in the stock before I pull it out? Does it need to stay in the entire cure time or pull it after say 6-7hrs and let it cure the rest of the time with the action removed?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thank you,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok last question. How long should I leave the action in the stock before I pull it out? Does it need to stay in the entire cure time or pull it after say 6-7hrs and let it cure the rest of the time with the action removed?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thank you,
Merritt </div></div>

You'll probably get a dozen answers to that question, so here's mine.

I spread some left over bedding on a piece of cardboard, and when it won't bend and I can snap it (three or four hours), then I pop the stock out. Then, I put it right back in to finish curing out for a couple days. Before I shoot it, I take it back apart again and clean all the release agent and putty, etc.

Good to go then.....

Thanks gentlemen. First try bedding looks like a success. Its by no means perfect but I hope she shoots as good as it feels when its locked into place.

Thanks for all the help.

Thank you,
Merritt