• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marines: How do you still act b/c of your DI?

ANGLICOMarine

Retired Marine
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
What do you still do as a result of your Drill Instructor?
Ex: I still never carry anything in my right hand and have a hard time walking on grass...

Re: Marines: How do you still act b/c of your DI?

I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to weapons maintenance and cleanliness in general.

So much so it's tough to tell where the one crosses over into the rest. What was imparted went all the way down to the core. One person went across the causeway inboard, another crossed over going outboard.

BTW, I am a Draftee Marine, and was never a 'Cruit. At least I never had myself to blame...

Actually, the whole deal turns out to be easier that way. Ya just do what they tell ya until they're done tellin'...

FWIW, I took my Amphib and Vertical Envelopment training at Pendleton in Summer 1966. Embarked for WestPac from SD, PA-220 Okanoggan, in October that year.

Greg

My friend was at the Induction center with his draft notice during V.Nam when they needed Marines
They lined them up and said count off by threes
All the threes step forward

All Y'all are Marines.
smile.gif

I cant wear a ball cap comfortably anymore. People who wear hats inside piss me off. IPs on any clothing make me pull out a knife and trim them. I find myself walking well out of my way to stay off the grass. I cant point with one finger, only knife hands. I say "good to go" and "kill" way too much.

Not to be insensitive but could someone explain the grass thing. I'm guessing it is a discipline thing like keeping the bed in order.

All whites get washed with detergent and bleach, every time. And I've been told several times that I walk heavily. Thanks, Sergeants.

I'd imagine the 'No walking on the grass' is a PI thing, since the DI at SD encouraged forming up on the grass in front of the recruit chowhall after eating.

McLaren, I also can't wear a ballcap comfortably. But I found a couple years ago that a full cloth (as in no mesh) children's size cap fits 'just right.'
smile.gif

After finishing a meal in the chow hall, I took one last sip of juice while waiting in line to turn in my tray... my ass got chewed so bad, I thought I had died.

After standing up in a cafeteria or chow hall, I won't so much as have a bite of food in my mouth, much less take a drink.

When I ran, sooner or later I would hear,'kill, kill, kill, kill..." when my left foot hit the deck. My DI used to run right next to me and with that DI 'whisper' "Kill! Kill!..." each time my left foot hit the ground. He was a cajun grunt, six foot plus, typical MArine DI I suppose. The walking on the grass is Old Corps(Plt 3070,'Last of The Old Corps'). In MCRD SD one did not ever form up on the grass, walk on the grass, or even think to look at the grass. Headgear indoors is a huge no-go, and I cannot look at anyone wearing a hat inside without offering a comment on their manners. Can't NOT let it go. Boot and Shoe laces get crossed on the right boot, Left over right, and on the left boot, Right over left. Irish Pennants are not there on any clothing once they are identified. Walking away from anything, I always step off left foot first.
I find it amazing that so many years after, the effects are so permanant. When I had a closed head injury that almost knocked me out, left me with amnesia for three days, gave me long term memory loss, and short term issues in 2001, it was the inner Marine that got me through the next six years trying to find Myself, rebuild Me, so that each time I looked in the mirror the three of us could be one again. It was waking up on day after No1, seeing me in a USMC photo(My grad photo was at the end of boot, so I had the tan, etc) I knew that was Me, a Marine. Open the closet and see uniforms...ARmy uniforms and something wasn't quite right, but Marine I was, and Marine I would be. For something to be seared so deep, so deeply ingrained it makes for self recognition at a level only a Few know is something else indeed. I often wonder how much of myself would have recovered from the Post Concussive Syndrome without that anchor deep in my soul, that seared in, tattooed, branded Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, that is dead center of my heart and soul.
Some are fortunate to be Born Again Hard as Marines. It was the dedication, the self kick in the ass of that Inner Marine that has given me the tenacity to succeed and to never, ever, never, give up on anything. Quit? Perish the thought. A Marine does not quit!
Semper Fi Gunny LeRoy, and Thank You

Hair cut every 2 weeks high tight.pt 3 times a week.
rifle range once a week if I can make it.work uniforms
look like a wall locker.clean my weapons with q-tip clean
then oil and grease them.

SEMPER FI

Haircut every Sunday, shoelaces...but I was tought left over right on both feet, weapons maintenance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Future SNA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...shoelaces...but I was tought left over right on both feet...</div></div>

This was so the right boot and left boot could be felt in the dark, blindfolded so the boots went on teh correct foot the first time, fast. You feel a lace moveing upward to the right, you know it's the right boot, feel a lace moving up from the right, left boot. We are also taught this in Pearl Harbor for the Reac Team as well as having our rifles within arms reach in the weapons rack by the rack.
I never realized how much this affected me, the training, training some more, training more, more training, until some ten years later, Panty 6 was working in Honolulu, and I worked nights, we were asleep, and her alarm went off for her 0300 wake up. She woke either at 0300, or 0500, bu tthat 0300 alarm was EXACTLY like the Reac Team alarm for rolling out wake up get your rifle get out front to the vehicles. That sucker went off, I jumped out of bed reaching for the rifle, and looking for the boots witht the uniform trousers down around them...boots on, pull up trousers, belt, tie boots...you know the drill. I looked around AFU then realized it was that damn alarm. It sounded exactly like the reac alarm...ten years later. She has a new alrm clock, has been through a few since then over the last 12 years. Her new one...same exact sound. After a few weeks of it, I can sleep through it fine, but that one night, wow, who would have thought?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you still do as a result of your Drill Instructor?
Ex: I still never carry anything in my right hand and have a hard time walking on grass...
</div></div>

Some times it still hard to take a shit....

And I still know the difference between a rifle and a gun.
Never say clip over magazine..

The post about the grass ,some one ask why ...?

It had to be part of the overall mind fuck,to stand there pointing and the dirty,sandy,ground,barren,with no grass in sight,Hollering ,Get off my M.C.grass.
Young and in shock recruits wondering if they (themselves) had lost thier minds...

Not me ,my dead 1st cousin used to tell me stories of his P.I.adventure and his SDI boasting to other pltn DIs about how long his had gone with out a shit...Days and Days..

I think of the longest time ,and it amazes me,his adventure,and mine later on...
That whole boot camp experiance,made me realize other things still remembered.

I always figured the grass thing was to keep it from wearing with 80 marines cutting across it several imes a day.

I still want to slap a person when says clip, "Are you back on the block recruit, Its a fucking magazine" as my heavy would put it.
I still sing cadance to myself when I run, even with an ipod blasting my ear.
I never touch the grass if I can get there by hard ball.
Everything gets laced left over right.
When I wearing cargo pants, nothing goes in the cargo pocket unless Im in the field.
And the one my wife drives me crazy with is puting the toilet paper on the roll so it pulls off the back side. I think she does it on purpose at this point.

I do miss the food! (sarcasim)

Haircut, laces left over right right over left for the same reasons, cannot walk on grass, cannot stand to see a hat worn inside, cannot wear a ball cap comfortably.

And of course, weapons maintenance.

Wow, where to start really. I hardly remember anything in high school but I can remember every day in the Corps. I have been raising my children with Marine Corps courtesey.I hold field day every Saturday, the family hates it. I don't tolerate covers indoors, my 11 year old has even started asking people at resteraunts to remove their hats. They eat their food with one hand on their lap and feet out in front and facing forward. I'll even have an island hopping campaign when they act up on the road. I'll pull over at each rest stop and make them run the O course ( Run and climb over each and every picnic table on the first lap then run and belly crawl under the picnic tables on the second lap). When we go to the beach now I don't even have to say anything and the kids will grab a trash bag a piece and do a police call so that our area is clean to play around. After hurricane Ike my son got his whole baseball team to do a beach clean-up for a day. He looked like a Marines son out there dictating who did what and pointing out missed trash to the other kids, It made me laugh. Everything good in my life is a direct reflection of the self discipline and focus that I learned in the Marine Corps. Just think how truley great this country would be if every young man had that ingrained in their soul!

1. Every time I sit on the toilet I yell "KILL"
2. I call everyone in traffic "ass" or "Nasty"
3. When I get in line at a grocery store or fast food place I press myself against the person in front of me and yell at everyone else to get "A to B"
4. When my wife is undressing I often tell her "too slow get back"
5. When they call my number at the DMV I bark and run as fast as I can to the booth
6. When on hikes with friends I constantly say "Tighter now" and get made when my friends don't reply "Ie sir"
7. When I hear the word "zero" I often respond with "Freeze recruit freeze"
8. When I move threw the office with a beverage I yell at my employees "Gangway Live Grenade"
9. I often ask why people are "eyeballing" my area"
10. When someone farts I will start huffing as hard as I can and say "Hoover sir" until the smell is gone
11. Every morning when the alarm goes off I stand at the POA at the foot of my bed and yell "One" as loud as I can and turn my head 90 degrees and stare at my wife until she reluctantly sais "two"

The rest of the habits I've pretty much broken.

Sgt 0811,
You for got everytime someone screws up to tell them, "Keep it up, I have more games than Milton Bradley."

Oh no I broke that habit a year ago when I was lectured by the local PD for making sugar cookies with the retarded kid at the grocery store. They couldn't ticket me since it was technically a voluntary PT session non the less I can't go to King Soopers anymore.

Each night for health and comfort the DI would walk the line with 2 squirt bottles, one filled with listerine and one with "Cobra" aftershave....It never failed, the listerine would go on your face and the "Cobra" goes in the mouth...I still can taste that "Cobra" after shave.

I often refer to someones head as their "Grape"...My wife knows when I ask where the "Moon Beam" is, that i'm asking for a flashlight. "fuckin outstanding" is used as a complement on nearly anything that is fuckin outstanding, also "fuckin" Starts off many of my sentances.

The "Nasties" are still civilians and they for the most part are still nasty. Going camping, fishing, training, is all lumped under "going to the field".

"Get some" to me means you are really doing a good job at something, tearing it up. Each time I see an airplane take off from Lindbergh Field I think of it as a "freedom Bird" how my DI would tell us we could leave anytime we wanted just accross that tarmac was our freedom.

Still to this day on MCRD San Diego when I see a Marine Drill Instructor with his belt and Smokey, I shudder a bit and try to stay atleast 3 paces behind and to the left of them.

my DI and marine boot taught me the loving embrace of another man, ahh semper Fi(as in Filatio)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my DI and marine boot taught me the loving embrace of another man, ahh semper Fi(as in Filatio) </div></div>

HAHAHAHA!!

For me just off the top of my head:
*If I ever sit indian style...it's got to be right over left, left over right. Same with my shoelaces to this day.
*I don't mess around in the shower, I get and out rather quickly, and I get dressed pretty fast still.
*Just recently over the past couple of years started to enjoy camping again.
* I sound reveille to my kids and wife.
* I remember in the police academy we were learning some kind of take down technique and they asked us...Ok now what are you going to do with them once you have them in this position?...I said in a (lone) loud motivating voice were going to KILL EM! They told me, "No...No...No...No...You can't kill em Durbin!" pretty funny, but true. Also in my day we still used LINE training so, I had to show some of the other guys how to boot stomp someone's head...Good Stuff!

I must be old. I can't remember most of that stuff. I think I must be what they call 'Old Corps' after all...

Moonbeam? WTF is a 'Moonbeam', Private?

We never heard of any of that 'OOO-Raw' stuff. We just sorta all let out with a Devil Dog Growl. The sound of several hundred Marines facing you out there in the dark and growling can be quite memorable. First one, then some, then all. That was our method of psywar. Simple, effective.

F'n this and F'n that would never fly.

We were taught the first thing a Marine is, is a gentleman. With fangs, maybe; but still a gentleman. DI say, "Profanity is the last refuge of the illiterate, but sometimes I have trouble spelling 'illiterate'".

We were taught that the Marine is the weapon, the rest of the junk is just tools.

(Why do Marines need so many tools these days? A field transport pack weighed 60lb, tops. We went onto combat with less than half of that. Beans, bullets, band-aids, and an extra coupla pairs of socks. Oh, yeah, and an E-Tool. You ran outta stuff, you went down to Supply. 782 gear, period. Personal gear was a boosted black US Government Property ballpoint and some Marine Corps stationary.)

I think the general mind f**k stuff musta evolved after our war.

We were too busy learning how to do the basic 'go get me some dead, and get it <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">NOW</span></span></span>!' stuff. Never enough time for anything else in Boot.

Maybe peacetime puts too much time into an idle DI's mind.

Haircuts were Friday, after dismiss, and before liberty call inspection. Buzz, baby; buzz!

And BTW, fellatio is spelled with an '<span style="font-style: italic">E</span>', and two '<span style="font-style: italic">L</span>'s; and not with an '<span style="font-style: italic">I</span>'...; and they called <span style="font-style: italic">US</span> overpaid, overfed, undereducated seagoing bellhops...; and we had to <span style="font-style: italic">buy</span> our <span style="font-style: italic">own</span> blues, too.

Greg

Almost two years ago when I went to Boot and I like the way it changed me. I never put my hands in my pockets, wear hats inside or say "umm" while talking to someone.

Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RidgeAve. Rifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to be insensitive but could someone explain the grass thing. I'm guessing it is a discipline thing like keeping the bed in order. </div></div>

Standing or walking on the grass without permission was tantamount to being caught having sex with the DI, s youngest daughter .... Ie Death Sentence ....

I once caught a young recruit sauntering across the parade ground with his bootlaces dragging across the ground ... I made him take off his boots and bunny hop around the perimeter singing " I'm a bunny and I'm ok I sleep night and I work all day "

The CO upon exiting his office and called me over .

CO : sgt what Infeaction has that man committed
Me : Sir he disrespected the square :
CO : how did he do that Sgt .
Me : his bootlaces were dragging on the ground
CO : carry on Sgt .

You get the idea ...lol

Damn Greg how f_ing old are you?

Oo Ra made it's debut in WWII. The common misconception is that it is a Turkish war chant, not so. Oo ra is from the submarine or ship horns making the "AHH OO GA" sound. Which they haven't done for a long ass time.
No Marine then or now NEEDS so many tools we can still do the job with a pointy stick but the toys certainly help.

You sir are truly from the old school. You have my respect.

Jesus I just said "we" I meant they, they can still do the job with a pointy stick. I'm a bit on the salty side now too.

No props on my earlier smartassery huh. Very well, carry on.

I try to avoid any of that motard stuff. I hear guys who have been out of the Marine Corps saying "oorah" and talking about moonbeams and other dumb boot stuff and it just reminds me of all the PFCs running around town outside base with "Marines" on their clothing and camo backpacks. Stupid.

The Marine Corps taught me how to shoot, how to work hard, how to have personal discipline, and how to maintain a good attitude in the worst situations making do with the worst equipment. I try to draw that into my work ethic where ever I go. The boot camp stuff can stay in boot camp where it belongs.

The best marines I worked with weren't motards who said "oorah" and "semper fi." They stuck their nose to the grindstone, worked hard every day, and faced bad situations with courage and honor.

PI, 2/22/66; separated 2/22/68. Plt 246/1966. Will be 66 in May. My service number is not a Soc and is seven digits, beginning with 2254. One of my Junior DI's was Sgt. Al Kent, later National VFW Adjutant General Al 'Gunner' Kent.

From Wiki:

Oorah is a battle cry common in the United States Marine Corps since the mid-20th century. It is comparable to hooah in the US Army and hooyah in the US Navy and US Coast Guard. It is most commonly used to respond to a verbal greeting or as an expression of enthusiasm.

See also: United States Marine Corps Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion

There are several potential sources from which the word "oorah" originated.

The 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Company, FMFPAC can be credited with the introduction of "Ooh-rah!" into the Marine Corps in 1953, shortly after the Korean War[citation needed]. Recon Marines served aboard the USS Perch (ASSP-313), a WWII-era diesel submarine retrofitted to carry Navy UDT and Recon Marines. Whenever the boat was to dive, the 1MC (PA system) would announce "DIVE! DIVE!", followed by the sound of the diving klaxon: "AHUGA!" In 1953 or 1954, while on a conditioning run, former Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps John R. Massaro, while serving as company Gunnery Sergeant of 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion, simulated the "Dive" horn sound "AHUGA!" as part of the cadence. Legend has it, he took it with him when he went to serve as an instructor at the Drill Instructor school at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. He there passed it on to the Drill Instructor students and they, in turn, passed it on to their recruits where it eventually and naturally became a part of the Recon cadence, and thereafter infiltrated Recon Marine lexicon.[1] Over time, "AHUGA!" morphed into the shorter, simpler "Oorah!" Today, the official Marine Corps Training Reference Manual on the history of Marine Recon is titled "AHUGA!"

The term may have been derived from the Turkish phrase "vur ha!" translated as "strike!" or "kill them all!", which was used as a battle cry at the Ottoman Empire army and adopted as a Russian battlecry "Urrah!"[2]

The term may have been derived from the acronym "HUA" meaning "Heard Understood Acknowledged".

Culture:

<span style="color: #CC0000">Owing to its relatively recent origins, it is less common for Marines who served in the Vietnam War or earlier to be familiar with "Oorah!", but most post-Vietnam Marines and Vietnam War Marines who continued to serve after the war will have learned it throughout their careers.[</span>

A couple of shortened versions of "Oorah!" can come out as a short, sharp, monosyllabic guttural "Er!" or "Rah!"

Another phrase similar to "Oorah" is the bark, also commonly used by Marines, due to the nickname "Devil Dogs" from the Battle of Belleau Wood in World War I.

I can vaguely recall hearing "A-HOO-gah" from Recon trainees who shared our base facilities at Camp Geiger in early 1966 while we were undergoing Infantry Training at ITR Camp Geiger. They were always at least a little odd...

Geiger is most memorable to me for its unforgettable employment of the Garand as our issue training weapon. I have been issued the M-14, and personally owned an M1A, AR-15, and Garand, Nowadays, I still own the Garand; best of the bunch, only one worth keeping when the merde hits the fan
Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Every time I sit on the toilet I yell "KILL"
2. I call everyone in traffic "ass" or "Nasty"
3. When I get in line at a grocery store or fast food place I press myself against the person in front of me and yell at everyone else to get "A to B"
4. When my wife is undressing I often tell her "too slow get back"
5. When they call my number at the DMV I bark and run as fast as I can to the booth
6. When on hikes with friends I constantly say "Tighter now" and get made when my friends don't reply "Ie sir"
7. When I hear the word "zero" I often respond with "Freeze recruit freeze"
8. When I move threw the office with a beverage I yell at my employees "Gangway Live Grenade"
9. I often ask why people are "eyeballing" my area"
10. When someone farts I will start huffing as hard as I can and say "Hoover sir" until the smell is gone
11. Every morning when the alarm goes off I stand at the POA at the foot of my bed and yell "One" as loud as I can and turn my head 90 degrees and stare at my wife until she reluctantly sais "two"

The rest of the habits I've pretty much broken. </div></div>

Yup I spit coffee every where after reading that. Thats some funny shit. Most of that stuff I have been trying to forget.

Greg, And others, when I was at the induction center one of my best friends was goofing off during the oath taking, He was drafted into the Marine Corps. Most people never believe me when I tell that story. Now I have proof. In any case I went regular army, crazy thing is we ended up in close proximity when we got to Nam. The two friends that lived between us on the same street sadly lost thier lives there.

I can't say offhand precisely how many draftees were in my Boot Platoon, but I'm guessing it was at least twenty. I went down to PI with a draft of around a dozen from the Newark NJ Draft Board. We were nicknamed "Those Gangsters from New Jersey". I had no idea what to expect when I arrived, but it seemed to suit me OK. I am thoroughly convinced that what I learned and the folks I served with are what made the difference in getting me back home alive.

I always wear web belts, uncover indoors, and maintain my military alignment when I dress. I alweys shave off my beard when I wear the uniform and march in our Memorial Day Parade here in Dundee. I still fire Volleys with the Legion Color Guard using my personal Garand. I won't be marching or wearing the uniform any more, It can no longer be made to fit, and I no longer can muster the requisite piss an' vinegar. Somewhere along the line, I lost that 29" waist, don'cha know (37" inseam, i was a tall 'un) and had a pair of Blues trousers altered to give me a 34" waist, but that was 4 inches ago. I'll miss that. Now I ride with the other old disabled guys in the Legion Chemin de Fer.

You can take the man out of the Marines, but you can't take the Marines out of the man. Grrrrowerrr

Greg

Again, Greg, you have my complete respect, and Geritol... JUST KIDDING. seriously hats off sir.

I watched "ears open, eyeballs click" recently, that program made me remember EVERYTHING. Next day I told the dog to get in his crate followed by "go now move"

Sad. very very sad.

Throw my Marine Corps bearing out the friggin port hole. Im laughing my ass off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched "ears open, eyeballs click" recently, that program made me remember EVERYTHING. Next day I told the dog to get in his crate followed by "go now move"

Sad. very very sad. </div></div>

Did they ever release the rest of that documentary? I purchased the first DVD which was "receiving" but I couldn't find the rest of it.

Greg
PI, 2/11/66: Plt 237 Grad 4/9/66 ser# 22436** We must have been bunkys in the old wooden barracks
My sr DI was Gunny Hoffman, Sgt Burton and Barrod Jr's

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find myself knife handing people when i'm frustrated and trying to get my point across.

</div></div>

My room mates who are in ROTC at Clemson University and I will hand blade each other when talking and when we are pointing at stuff. Other people look at us funny, but we have gotten used to it.

Enjoying the stories guys. I'll get my own soon enough.

Slapchop, I know there are two parts. I downloaded them.

My DI's were Sgt L Purcell, Sgt A Kent, and SSgt Wasielewski. Wood barracks, 2nd deck, South(?) bay, 2nd Bn, Lima(?) Company. 'Bout midway between the chow hall and the museum, across the road from both, backing up against the grinder. Iwo monument across the Grinder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
11. Every morning when the alarm goes off I stand at the POA at the foot of my bed and yell "One" as loud as I can and turn my head 90 degrees and stare at my wife until she reluctantly says "two"
</div></div>

I did this just for shits, my wife looked at me said " shut the fuck up, I'm trying to sleep."

Greg
I dont know how the hell you can remember all that detail ! All I remember is we were on the monument side of the grinder. As your out front facing the bldg our squad bay was on the lower deck, port side. I think our offical name was B Co, 2nd RTB. Our series CO was Capt. Laurant??
Wasnt there several of the old wood barracks there?
BTW they are all long gone. Cant imagine running down the squad bay and not hearing feet on wood floors. Just aint the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My DI's were Sgt L Purcell, Sgt A Kent, and SSgt Wasielewski. Wood barracks, 2nd deck, South(?) bay, 2nd Bn, Lima(?) Company. 'Bout midway between the chow hall and the museum, across the road from both, backing up against the grinder. Iwo monument across the Grinder. </div></div>

My last visit to PI was in the mid 90's, as a Marine Corps League 3 day bus trip from Kearny NY. At that time, the wooden barracks were still standing, but they had been converted over to office space. All Recruit Training was being done out of the brick barracks we knew as 3rd Bn.

The detail is supplemented by the graduation 'yearbook' we all bought. I haven't opened it in at least 5 years, but I'm sure it helped.

Semper Fi the memory Of Jim Bates, PLT 246 1st Squad leader, Glens Fall NY, KIA RVN March 19, 1967. I was 2nd Squad leader, he marched at my right hand.

Greg