• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Maritime History

1J04

Lost Squirrel
Minuteman
  • Aug 7, 2011
    PNW WA
    I've spent my life in, on, and around the water, usually big water, since childhood. Recreationally, commercially, and professionally, and loved every minute of it and still do. Been lucky to be in and around some pretty cool discoveries of wrecks like the Atocha by Mel Fisher in 85? and the San Diego within eye sight of my Wife's province in Nasagbu Batangas. The stories are just amazing to me. Not being an avid reader (severe eye strain sets in since a kid) I only delve into a book every now and then. But when I do I'm enthralled.

So what get's this topic going? An article that was published in a local paper/rag. Pretty interesting story, so I'll share the link. The battle with the Dutch that sank the San Diego is also well worth reading. Epic as all hell and it's been sitting there within view in shallow water for a long long time. Kinda gets your mouth watering for gold n silver don't it?

This story is just one of many regarding the mighty Columbia Bar. The "Great Republic" never had a chance once she hit the dirt. I've crabbed and trolled over that spot for a long long time and never knew parts of her were still lurking below and the history behind it.

Enjoy.

I too am a fan of nautical history and shipwrecks. Fish and reefs are nice and all, but wreck diving is where it's at for me. Thanks for sharing this. Good read!

I have crossed the Columbia river bar at its worst and there is a damn good reason that it is called "The graveyard of the Pacific".

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
    I have crossed the Columbia river bar at its worst and there is a damn good reason that it is called "The graveyard of the Pacific".

Indeedy. It's "still" claiming victims. It's a helluva spot. And welcome back from the range. ;)

YouTube is full of neat videos on Maritime history and 'treasure hunting.'

I love stories about The Atocha treasure... and some of the Gold Ships.

If you've never seen it, the NBC series "Victory at Sea" the story of WW2 is magnificent. 16 hours or so. Written and produced in the earliest days of television and beautifully scored.

If your wanderlust ever gets going... the Maritime Museums in Halifax and Lunenberg, Nova Scotia... the Nautilus Museum in CT (and the nearby whaling museum)... the USS Constitution... all amazing places to visit. And for those following my motorcycling mishaps last year, the Royal Navy Museum at Greenwich is out of this world. Easily a two-day visit.

Cheers,

Sirhr

YouTube is full of neat videos on Maritime history and 'treasure hunting.'

I love stories about The Atocha treasure... and some of the Gold Ships.

If you've never seen it, the NBC series "Victory at Sea" the story of WW2 is magnificent. 16 hours or so. Written and produced in the earliest days of television and beautifully scored.

If your wanderlust ever gets going... the Maritime Museums in Halifax and Lunenberg, Nova Scotia... the Nautilus Museum in CT (and the nearby whaling museum)... the USS Constitution... all amazing places to visit. And for those following my motorcycling mishaps last year, the Royal Navy Museum at Greenwich is out of this world. Easily a two-day visit.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Neat stuff indeed. Probably seen VAS 3 or 4 times. Seriously. I'm certain I'll see it again at some point. Your suggestions sound like a great time, but I don't see my chances of that happening short of 5 magic numbers.
    On a side note, and I've mentioned it in the past, watching them bring a big cache of Atocha goodies in to Mallory Square was amazing. What a sight.

Another great 'maritime history' museum is on Galveston Island. It's not exactly Crossing the T and Battleships dukeing it out.... but the story of the Galveston Hurricane and the Gulf is amazing.

Loved Galveston Island when I lived in Houston. Tamales cards, driving Land Rover on the beach and some awesome street music. But be off the island before dark (at least that was the rule in the 1990's). Because you could hear the gunfire as the crack-heads started fighting it out after sunset. Galveston was one of the big entry points for Peruvian Marching Dust... and while it was fun and touristy during the day, it was a good place to get dead at night.

Wonder if it's better now?

Cheers,

Sirhr

This just belongs here...
    12373325_1046656258705762_7607490536086574025_n.jpg

Interesting bit of maritime history, the first German POW’s of WWII were taken by the USCGC Northland. A lousy puddle pirate icebreaker!

Here's a mystery that many even on the Great Lakes haven't heard of. The Marquette and Bessemer #2. Where she is alleged to have gone down in 1909 is around 60-80ft of water. An easy dive for even basically qualified divers, and yet, short of wreckage found on both sides of the border, the vessel itself hasn't been seen in over a century.

I didnt provide a link since there a numerous sites that can be found with pictures and further details of the story.

[h=3]The Story Behind the Sinking of the Galleon San Diego Off Nasugbu’s Fortune Island[/h] MAY 13, 2016 REX RAYMOND TORRECAMPO

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"366","width":"560","src":"https:\/\/1.bp.blogspot.com\/-RIItgh6Z07w\/VzWpkiJywgI\/AAAAAAAAiJg\/uYYuA6MGta05-sVlBZsS2kIdpzBriMEqACCo\/s320\/Sea_Battle_San_Diego_Eendracht_1600.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    By Unknown - Illustration from Peregrinationes" from Théodore de Bry, 1603 (copy in Boston Public Library). Wikimedia Commons.

“That, whereas, because of the coming to these islands of two hostile English [sic] ships, the preparation of a fleet to attack them was immediately discussed with the resolution and advice of the Royal Audiencia, and for this effect it was resolved that Antonio de Morga should go to the port of Cabit (Cavite) to attend to the fitting and despatch of the said war-vessels and the defence of that port… he has attended until now, to the defence of the said port, and the fitting and equipping of the said fleet, consisting of the vessel “San Diego,” of Sebu (Cebu), the galleon “San Bartolome,” which he caused to be finished in the shipyard launched, an English patache[SUP]1[/SUP] from the city of Malaca, a galliot[SUP]1[/SUP] which was fitted up, and other smaller craft…[SUP]2[/SUP]”

Above is an excerpt from the edict issued by Francisco de Tello de Guzmán, Governor of the Philippines in 1600, authorising Oidor (Judge) Antonio de Morga to attend to the fitting and equipping of Spanish vessels to counter the presence of “hostile” ships. The supposed hostile ships were not even English.

They were Dutch. The two ships, the Mauritius and the Eendracht (Concord, formerly the Hoop or Hope but renamed) were part of a group of four ships that left Holland under the command of the adventurer and entrepreneur Olivier van Noort to look for the Moluccas. The original Eendracht became unseaworthy and had to be abandoned after the Atlantic crossing. The fourth ship, the Hendrik Frederik under the command of Pieter de Lint, got separated but successfully reached the Moluccas.[SUP]3[/SUP]

The two ships with van Noort first arrived in the Philippines in October of 1600; and after crossing the Pacific Ocean were badly in need of provisions.[SUP]4[/SUP]

The Dutch had won independence from Spain by way of a revolution just two decades earlier and established the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands.[SUP]5[/SUP] By the time the Mauritius and the Eendracht arrived in the Philippines, the Dutch were still at war with Spain. Therefore, they were not welcome at all as far as the Spanish colonial government was concerned.

In dire need of provisions, the Dutch ships “captured and sunk several boats, Spanish and Chinese, bound for Manila with rice, poultry, palm-wine and other stores of food.[SUP]4[/SUP]”

The Spaniards in Manila, but naturally, were agitated; enough, at any rate, to order three ships equipped in haste for battle to engage the intruders. The Dutch, although they did not know it then, had arrived at a most fortuitous time. The Spaniards had no warships at their disposal at the time.[SUP]6[/SUP]

In fact, the San Diego, which would be designated as the command ship under de Morga for the encounter against the Dutch, was a trading galleon. It was built in Cebu originally to be used as a trading ship and given the name San Antonio. It was renamed the San Diego after its hasty conversion into a warship.[SUP]7[/SUP]

Because the shipyards at the port in Cavite were unable to provide the San Diego with the required artillery, bronze cannons were stripped from forts in Manila and loaded onto it. In all, fourteen cannons were loaded onto the San Diego.[SUP]8[/SUP]

This was crucial to the eventual fate of the San Diego, along with de Morga’s lack of maritime savvy. When it set sail to engage the Dutch, its original cargo had not even been unloaded. Thus, the cannons which were added along with the 450 fighting men who boarded it made the ship very heavy.[SUP]6[/SUP]

The two Dutch ships were spotted at sunrise on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] of December anchored off Fortune Island just off Nasugbu. The San Diego fired at the Mauritius, came alongside it and for six hours the Spaniards and the Dutch engaged in fierce hand-to-hand combat.

In the afternoon, the San Diego was found to be leaking, likely from one of the cannonballs it took from the Mauritius. A true warship could probably have taken these shots and fared better; but then again, the San Diego was in reality a merchant ship not designed for sea battles or to take cannon shots.

There was also the other matter of the ship still being heavily laden with cargo, the cannons stripped from the forts in Manila and the fighting men who had gone on board. When a fire broke out on the Mauritius, de Morga ordered the moorings which connected the San Diego to the Mauritius to be released.

He wanted to take the ship quickly to Fortune Island and beach the ship there. However, after sailing just a few hundred metres, the San Diego, heavily weighed down as it was, sank into the deep of the sea and took with it many lives. De Morga himself survived after swimming for four hours to Fortune Island and would later write about the incident.[SUP]8[/SUP]

Van Noort and his crew, meanwhile, were able to put out the fire on the Mauritius; and because the Spaniards made no attempts to pursue them, were able to sail back to Holland. While van Noort’s cargo upon his return home was paltry compared to all the trouble he took, History nonetheless recognises him as the first Dutchman to circumnavigate the globe.

In 1992, four centuries after its sinking, the French underwater archaeologist Franck Goddio found the site off Fortune Island where the San Diego came to rest. Among the thousands of artefacts that were recovered were Mexican coins, Japanese swords, Chinese porcelain and Portuguese cannons.

The excavation drew worldwide attention and the artefacts recovered were taken on exhibition tours around the world. In the present day, these relics from the San Diego are permanently kept at the Museum of the Filipino People in Manila.[SUP]7[/SUP]

It's just interesting ain't it? Tough fricking life in the day eh?

Here's a book worth reading. If you ever wondered how things became such a mess of political cliques within the Navy, this is a great read, with a lot of historical reference to events, personalities and politics when the US Navy was being founded.

Here's a book worth reading. If you ever wondered how things became such a mess of political cliques within the Navy, this is a great read, with a lot of historical reference to events, personalities and politics when the US Navy was being founded.

You know what? I'd read that, and I believe I will. Appreciate that and good to see ya got some time as of late to screw around on here Brother. Always good to hear from ya.

Well, in my neck of the woods, there was a confederate blockade runner(Arcadia) that ran aground just a few feet off the beach( Galveston) on her maiden voyage. The ship was located by Union warships, and eventually sunk(1865).
    The smoke stacks were still visible on a low tide a hundred years later but,
    after a few hurricanes and exposure to the elements, eventually the stacks had eroded.
    The final resting spot remains a secret fishing hole for a lot of fisherman due to it being a sort of artificial reef, and it was because these fisherman that the wreck was eventually rediscovered.

Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
    Well, in my neck of the woods, there was a confederate blockade runner(Arcadia) that ran aground just a few feet off the beach( Galveston) on her maiden voyage. The ship was located by Union warships, and eventually sunk(1865).
    The smoke stacks were still visible on a low tide a hundred years later but,
    after a few hurricanes and exposure to the elements, eventually the stacks had eroded.
    The final resting spot remains a secret fishing hole for a lot of fisherman due to it being a sort of artificial reef, and it was because these fisherman that the wreck was eventually rediscovered.

That's a pretty cool bit o history right there as well. What gets me is the number of shallow water wrecks that are out there, accessible, but still not discovered. I suppose that's what keeps some of those big kids treasure hunting.

Reactions: Barneybdb
    You never know what you are going to learn on this site, in our Air Force we had air sea rescue boats, seems your Air Force actually had ships.........

. USAFS General Hoyt S. Vandenberg - 9,950 tons

1516706733626.png

Project Azorian has always facinated me.

I recall growing up,as a kid and watching something called “In The News” on Saturday morning between cartoons. It was narrated by Walter Cronkite and was basically “news snippets for kids”. I remember the one where he described Howard Hughes using the Glomar Explorer to mine manganese nodules off the ocean bottom. Even at that age, I put down my Hot Wheels, scratched my head, and called bullshit.

Why I recall that so well still befuddles me.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    I've got a camper on Lake Erie where I sit and watch 500+ foot "Lakers" get loaded with limestone off the quarry dock. My uncle runs the conveyor and is the guy pulling the levers responsible of properly loading these big bulk carriers. I've been mystiqued by these LAKE boats since I was a child. Unfortunately after 9/11 the opportunity to hang out in the loading box isn't allowed anymore. I'm pretty sure the great lakes boats are bigger than any of the salty boats on the oceans....which surprised me alot. Anyhow carry on

The limiting factor of Lake freighters is contained by the size of the locks in the St Lawrence, which if I recall correctly, is somewhere around 700ft in length and 75ft in beam.

The limiting factor of Lake freighters is contained by the size of the locks in the St Lawrence, which if I recall correctly, is somewhere around 700ft in length and 75ft in beam.
    Yes that is what I was told by my Uncle. I just didn't recall the specifics. . . . most don't realize the true size of these lakers until your sitting beside one in a 20ft bass boat. Pretty eerie even being close to some of them "offshore". They always anchored overnight just north of Marblehead lighthouse waiting for the weather to be right to dock or for the dock to clear out of the Marblehead Lafarge Conveyors. I'm not sure how much Ore or Coal gets floated across the lakes but most of the boats I see were laden with Limestone

Where I had a 33ft sailboat was just down from a cheerios facility and passing by those bulk haulers was always impressive no matter how many times I've sailed by.