• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm Pic request and ring suggestion

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
So I went to my local gun store this evening and had them price me out a Leupy Mark 4, model number 56130, and they priced my about $770 which I thought was a decent price so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have them order it for me.

But before I do I want to verify the turrets. For some reason I can find any info on Leupolds site or anywhere that shows what they come with. Does anyone have this particular optic and can you post pics of the scope, specifically the turrets from the shooters view? The only stock photos of the scope I can find show it from the front view.

And does anyone have any suggestions on rings? Its going on a Remmy 700 SPS Tactical with EGW 20moa 1 piece base. I currently have a Busnell 3200 5-15x40 on there with Burris extreme low rings but need to get 30mm rings for the Leupy. I've been told to stay away from the Burris rings cause they are aluminum and go with steel. I looked at the Mark 4 rings but dang they are spendy. Are there good steel rings out there that will perform well and be a little more econimcal?

This is what the rifle looks like as it sits now.

sps03.jpg

Re: Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm Pic request and ring suggestion

56130 has target knobs with .25 moa clicks on the elevation & windage.
They have knob covers that must be screwed off in order to make adjustments.

There were a few for sale on this site not to long ago.

I picked up a 56140 and sent it to Leupold for a TMR & M1 knobs.
Total bill was $308.00

FWIW,
Stu

Are there hash marks on the turrets at all? I guess that is my biggest question. From the shooters view are there some hash marks there? Seems odd that there wouldn't be but I want to make sure before I spend that kind of money.

Or will I have to send it to Leupy to get M1's installed. Is there a model variation that already has them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedMan*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, hash marks similar to the M1 knobs and actually the clicks are more audible with the targer knobs then the M1

Here is a link to a fellow board member that has one for sale: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1010813#Post1010813

Stu </div></div>

Gotcha. I'm still hunting for pictures of the turrets so I can understand more what they are like. Honestly, in the stock photos they look hideous.

And I have seen that one for sale. Its a great price but the local gun store has been very friendly with everything and always treat me real well so for just a few more bucks I'm giving the local guys some more of my business.

I'm still confused about the target turrets.... Are they just a slip on cap that pulls off to reveal something similar to the M1 turrets or are the completly different?

IMG_07391.JPG

IMG_07403.JPG

This is my other 56130 (56140 went to Leupold) that I purchased used from this board. I have not sent this one in to Leupold for the TMR/M1 knob conversion because it works well.

Hope this helps ya,
Stu

Stu, thank you very much!!!

So is it a bad idea to leave the covers off?

Hard to tell from the pics but is every MOA marked or is it like every third MOA that is labeled?

Do you know about how much it costs to send it to the custom shop for just the M1 knobs?

Correct on the every 3rd MOA being number marked.
Your environment will dictate to cover up or leave uncovered.

About $130.00 for M1 knob conversion if I remeber correctly.

Stu

Excellent. It is all making more and more sense.

So one more question then. On the Mark 4 6.5-20x50 is it standard with M1 knobs? So the jump in cost might not be as great as I thought considering I would probably like M1 knobs to be put on the 4.5-14?

Mark 4 usually come standard w/M1's
They can be custom ordered with M3 - 1 moa click elevation & .5 moa windage, or M2 which is .5 moa for elevation & windage.

Gebhardt02 is the only person I know with the 6.5-20 with M2 knobs.

Stu

Alright, so here is what I'm lookin at now.

I was misunderstanding the part numbers so I was getting confused.

I priced a 4.5-14x40 at $770, if I send it in for the M1's I'm gonna be into it about $900.

I priced the 6.5-20x50 with M1's and it was $1093 so about $200 more.

It doesn't appear that Leupy makes the 4.5-14x40 with the option of M1's without sending it to the custom shop.

Now I have the real tough decision of which one to go with. Even with all your help and clarifying you have just made my decision that much harder.
smile.gif

But really, thank you so much for explaining all this.

With the 6.5 -20 x 50 Mark 4 M1 you can order it with the TMR
I think the part # 60050

Then your done and won't have to do anything but trigger time.

Stu

Man, as it is I was having a hard time spending almost $800 on a scope. Now that you have schooled me about the turrets I'm pushing the 4 digit mark. I don't think I can handle TMR's.

Honestly, I don't think I would ever use them. I have had mil dots for years and have never once used them. Not sure that I want to spend the extra coin on them.

I am torn between the 4.5-14x40 and the 6.5-20x50. I understand what the extra magnification will do for me. It would be nice but I think I could make do with the lower setup. I however do not know what the 50mm vs. the 40mm will do for me. Does it make that big of a difference in performance? Tack driver posted his 4.5-14 w/ M1's and TMR's for sale and it is looking appealing. Just don't know if I'll kick myself for not spending more on the more powerful magnification and 50mm.