• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Mark 4 Er/lr m1

Re: Mark 4 Er/lr m1

They are not so much inferior as they are overpriced and lack a zero stop, unless you get the M3 which has a built in zero stop and 1 moa adjustments, which is less than ideal. Leupold used to make great scopes for the price, but for the price of a new Leupold you can get a Nightforce nxs, the glass is not alot better, but it has zero stop, highspeed turrets and is all but indestructable. Leupold as of late is trying to get back in touch with the buyers from what I hear, so we will see how that turns out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zero Stops, are available on the new models we saw. The big M5, it has the push button locks which also feature a zero stop. Zero stops are part of the Army requirements in their scope solicitations. As well the M3 & M2 has a zero stop, so they have them, just not for the M1 turret. </div></div>

M2, and M5 knobs now have zero stop only the M1 doesn't. ^

I also believe leupold is getting back in the game. lwryfisher said something about leupold replacing they're glass on all the current mark 4s and it's much better than the older generations. If you shop around the prices really aren't that bad. I've found some FFP versions for 1350$, thats 500$ less than the NF F1. The SFPs can be bought right at a grand..you just have to shop around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zero Stops, are available on the new models we saw. The big M5, it has the push button locks which also feature a zero stop. Zero stops are part of the Army requirements in their scope solicitations. As well the M3 & M2 has a zero stop, so they have them, just not for the M1 turret. </div></div>

M2, and M5 knobs now have zero stop only the M1 doesn't. ^

I also believe leupold is getting back in the game. lwryfisher said something about leupold replacing they're glass on all the current mark 4s and it's much better than the older generations. If you shop around the prices really aren't that bad. I've found some FFP versions for 1350$, thats 500$ less than the NF F1. The SFPs can be bought right at a grand..you just have to shop around. </div></div>

This is great to hear, I like Leupold scopes alot and now that they are listening to their customers again I'm looking for some good things in the future. I hope they keep up the good work. Also I forgot to mention the information about the FFP, that is something they do offer, for a good price that is pretty nice and affordable, now that they are introducing zero stops they should be back in the game somewhat.

I have always shot a fixed 10 mark and really did not care for veritable power optics.
But with my new build I am thinking out of my comfort zone and looking at a mark 4 Er/lr m1 6.5-20x50 ffp...with bdc dials.
Since I am somewhat out of my box anyway I would be grateful for pros and cons.
I would love to have a s&b but like on another post that one is not worth the extra money to me.
I do want to catch up to technology and see what new features I would benefit from and could possible put a nightforce on the new solution rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcpdshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always shot a fixed 10 mark and really did not care for veritable power optics.
But with my new build I am thinking out of my comfort zone and looking at a mark 4 Er/lr m1 6.5-20x50 ffp...with bdc dials.
Since I am somewhat out of my box anyway I would be grateful for pros and cons.
I would love to have a s&b but like on another post that one is not worth the extra money to me.
I do want to catch up to technology and see what new features I would benefit from and could possible put a nightforce on the new solution rifle... </div></div>

Check out some of the other FFP variable scopes also, IOR makes some very nice stuff and has their customer support and quality controll working well. Vortex Razors are very nice, big, but nice. Also S&B scopes can be had for ALOT less than what they sell for new, there are a few in the for sale section right now for about 2/3 retail. IMO you would be way ahead to skip BDC, as there are too many variables for them to work well, also you will have to commit that scope to the caliber, which can be a pain. Just make a dope card with all of your corrections and you will be good to go. Keep an eye out for deals in the for sale section, and you will find what you are looking for.

Cool I have been so indecisive on the optics because there are few great choices available but with different options.
Guess I will just go back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with.
And a dope card is what I am familiar with just got caught up with all the bells and whistles...
I have not ruled any of them out but the hardest thing for me is building a trust in something new to me..
I till have about a month or so of parttime job money to save before before I'm ready to jump feet first into an optic so I have time for more research.

Thanks a ton!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M5 knobs now have zero stop
</div></div>

I think he meant the new-new large, ponderous, 3k dollar variable. It has zero stops. The m5 turrets on the regular scopes don't seem to have them, at least the 4-14 I saw at the range a month back did not.

Leupold garners little enthusiasm among people on these forums because of the lack of matching turrets to reticles i.e. mil turret to mil reticle instead of moa turret to mil reticle. There probably isn't a good reason why Leupold has lagged on this so people have become frustrated with the company.

The new M5 turrets are mil turrets. I thought i read somewhere about M4 mil turrets as well, though I never saw any model listed with any turrets designated as such.

IMHO if Leupold offered a decent mil turret with zero stop on the entire Mark 4 line-up people would soften on them again. I also think that alot of people are waiting to find out if they can custom shop retrofit their existing Mark 4 scopes with M5 turrets. There have been conflicting reports. Again, if everyone with a Mark 4 was suddenly able to have the mil turrets of their dreams, I think people would soften on Leupold a bit.

Just my 2 cents. I own a Mark 4. So do a huge number of people who post on these forums.

I called Leupold yesterday morning asking if my mark 4 with last letter U on serial number would be able to convert from M1's to M5's. My response was that only serial numbers ending in V or newer were able for the conversion. Their engineers were, however, close to being able to convert the earlier models, but it is still a work in progress.

Yeah parts have been refreshed from time to time from what i've read, so only some scopes with the M1 knobs aren't interchangeable. Yeah i reread the lowlight quote and realized he meant the big M5s. As for not buying something due to price. The way i view it is if you really want it save up. You only get to live once, hehe enjoy it. I just save up as long as i can when i want something that's expensive. I'm also young so right now work and taxes and such doesn't apply to me(still in college). So i understand. But if you really want a S&B man get it
wink.gif

Leupold is playing catch up but the bad rep they get isn't deserved IMO. Every scope company produces a bad product here and there. I.E. Bad reviews about USO. I own a SN-3 it's flawless. Sure the leupy system has some outdated kinks mil/moa reticle turret combo. But they get the job done just like any other scope. The military has proven that. Are they're better options to make things easier sure.. Does it make the shooter a better marksman, not at alL. That comes down to training, trigger time, experience, and knowledgeable ballistics information IMO.