• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mark 4 Tracking

71firebird400

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hi,

I have reviewed old threads and google'd the topic but I can't find a definite answer regarding whether a Leupold Mark 4 tracks consistently? This will be on a 338LM, and I am considering the 6.5-20x50 model.

It's between the Mark 4 and a NF 5.5-22 and the truth is, if the Leupold can track consistently I will probably go for it. I'm looking at $1059 for the Leupold, and $1435 for the NF so there's a $400 difference.

Also, I'm well aware of the advantages/disadvantages of each scope. I'm fine with a mismatched reticle and knobs, and have no need for an illuminated reticle.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Mark 4 Tracking

I have used Leupolds for years under harse conditions and they have always tracked perfectly and been very durable. I have never had the 20x variable but the 10x and 14x variables have served me well.

Derek

I have a mark 4 on my savage and I can say it has been good to go since I installed it and it tracks well.

I have several Leupold's Mk 4's and they track well and take a decent beating. I have used mine for hunting and they have been banged on tree stands, falling on the ground and they keep on moving. I do tracking test every now and again to make sure it is still working correctly. Leupold does have great customer service if something does happen to go wrong with the scope.

The Leupold I owned was a decent scope but it had issues. I had to send it back with less then 100 rounds under it and the internals had to be replaced. The customer service was great but all in all I really don't think Leupolds are worth the price. Given the choice between Leupold and Nightforce I'd pick the Nightforce every time. They have better internals.

Ran Leupold for years and years.It's a good scope. But I also have 3 NF and if the $400.00 isn't going to hurt you bad, down the road you will be glad you spent it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might want to ask any of the thousands of LE and .mil marksman who sort of need them to be pretty close. </div></div>

Well that's what I kind of assumed, but I have never found a thorough review on a Mark 4, or someone who explicitly states they work well.

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... have never found a thorough review on a Mark 4...</div></div>

You're not likely to, on that or any other scope. To actually test the durability and tracking accuracy of a scope over time would take a test setup that would run the scope through thousands of adjustment cycles, and measure the accuracy of either each cycle, or a sample of them at some intervals.

And then it would have to be done on more than one scope of a particular type.

There is no equivalent of Consumer Reports for rifle scopes, so it isn't likely to happen.

What you get is anecdotal evidence from a bunch of people who owned one, or hearsay about things they have heard from others.

I'll tell you what I know about the 6.5-20X50M1 Leupolds.

For one, the knobs are closer to IPHY than to MOA. That is, each four clicks will move the point of aim closer to 1 inch at 100 yards than 1.047 inches. That doesn't matter, really, as long as you know that.

How would you know that? Test it:

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes

I have three of those, and have tested them, and many other Leupold scopes with M1 knobs, and every one I've tested is like that. Now, the M3 knobs I've tested are very close to MOA.

A friend of mine who shoots Leupold scopes at lot - hearsay evidence - has had problems with the internal springs losing tension over time, and he sends them back to Leupold, who replaces the springs at no charge.

Here's my advice: If you like the Leupold, get one. It may at some point stop tracking. Learn to test for that, and when it occurs, get it fixed.

That advice applies uniformly <span style="font-style: italic">to every other manufacturer of telescopic rifle sights.</span>

They all may malfunction, as may every single piece of equipment not produced by the hand of God. If you require perfection, you <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">WILL</span></span> be disappointed.

Learn to deal with imperfection, through testing and redundancy (have a spare scope) if you require a high level of usability.

That advices applies to more than rifle scopes, though I don't normally recommend redundancy in the case of wives and/or girlfriends.
laugh.gif

Lindsy has words that ring very true. But I think Hydro kinda adds to the point I should have made in my 1st post. Not only have I used a Leupold hard for years when lives depended on it I have worked next to guys who ran the same scope and their scope as well as mine had thousands of rounds and even more travel miles under it.

I think that NF makes a fine scope and I have seen alot of them used by top shooters at Tactical Matches, by guys who could shoot any scope they wanted. However there are not many scopes that have been to war in large numbers over a long period of time. I know alot of swat guys who shoot Leupolds because their department felt they where the best scope that they could get at a bargain and with a lifetime warranty........well those scopes or their replacements will be used for a long long time. Alot of swat agencies use a Leupold with covered knobs and a duplex reticle.......because its cheaper and at LE engagement ranges you won't need to range targets or use click adjustments often. A hundred yard zero and a solid scope that will hold that zero normally serve well. However in cross training and so forth in just my experience the majority of swat officers who have to or choose to buy their own optics go with Leupold...again only casual observation on my part.

However we all know the military is test crazy at times and equipment price is not an issue...........look at what the Marines shoot. And the Army shoots Leupold. More Leupolds are used to hunt humans than all other optic brands combined.

But again an optic is a personal choice.

Derek

The Army shoots many Leupolds simply because they've been doing that for a long time, and the big green Army is slow to change.

Special ops units in the Army, who have both the funds and the permission to use whatever they choose, are often making other choices.

I shoot a Mk 4 and have run it through tracking drills as well as checking that the TMR reticle and magnification settings are correct. Mine is good to go and it's an excellent scope (8.5 - 25).

However, at the same class, several of the Leup scopes did not pass the same drills. If I recall the math right, about 20 percent of the scopes, mostly Mk VI's, didn't pass.

There are some tests (look for some of Doc's posts) you can run on a scope, but that will require that you own it already.

IMHO, if you are already in the 1,000 - 1,500 range, throw a USO into your list of possibles. It may be a little more, but you won't ever regret it and won't have a worry about tracking, etc.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks everyone for your input. I will go with the NF, it's track record of excellent tracking and overall dependability have won me over.

R.O. probably sees more scopes and models of,used in shooting conditions in a year than any 10 of us will in a lifetime,combined.
With a little searching on Franks post you can see definate patterns in fail rates.

OF 10 brand new M110's, two of the Mk 4 M2's had severe tracking issues when doing the box test.

Never seen or had a good chance to work with any other new/unproven leupolds

i had a vx3 turret lock up once but no issues with mk4. as always leupold fixed my vx3 at no charge.