• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mark 4 vs Vari-X III Long Range?

microsuck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2007
Richardson, TX
Ok, I picked up a Leupold scope that I thought was a Mark 4, but it dosent say mark 4 anywhere. It has a black ring that says Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 Long Range. It has a side focus knob with the Leupold logo. Was this the Mark 4 before the Mark 4 name existed, or is it a lesser quality model? It has a M3 elevation knob and a M2 windage. I shoot USO and dont really know too much about Leupold.

Re: Mark 4 vs Vari-X III Long Range?

microsuck
Now i could be wrong so dont quote me.I think your vx3 is a older version of the mk4. I think they just hadnt started calling them mk4 yet.I also think all of the internals are the same.

Same exact scopes..................
Lens coating SAID to be better on MK4's.............
I can't tell the difference.
Internals, same/same.

Have had two of each kind, never could tell a difference other than the writing on the box's. I think they mention matched lenses and the lens coating now, not sure if its "better" or just not mentioned previous.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The image quality was the same as a current Mark4 I tried out. Good to know.