• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mark II replacement barrel???

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
Does anyone know of a company that is making match quality replacement barrels for the Savage Mark II? I am left handed and the only option for me was the regular sporter barrel. I would like something a little thicker and more accurate would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Jake

Re: Mark II replacement barrel???

Is the Savage pinned or threaded?
Have a smith thread the rec and put the profile of your choice on.
The hot bbls in rimfire right now are Broughton,Benchmark,Lilja and Shilen.
Not to snub others but those have winning alot.

A thread and bbl job is in the 450-600 range(bbl included)

Joe,
I was looking to do the same thing for my wife's MKII left handed version. The price in the previous post is very close to what I was told it would cost to swap the barrel. I would have bought the model in your link for her if it had been available.
We have since build a new stock for her and left the original barrel on it.. The groups shrank markedly with a bedding job in the new stock.

Long and short, if you want a heavier barrel, I would sell your current version, or put it in the safe...and buy the heavy version...

Good Luck

There's a thread in another forum on this exact topic.

Savage MKII barrel is pressed and pinned. The diameter of the barrel tenon is very close to the Ruger 10/22, 77/22 but the tenon length is different. It is definitely NOT a drop in, but if you have a lathe, it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241110

So they make a left handed thumbhole stock with a target barrel???

i went ahead and bought the left handed btvs. It is NICE. Thanks for the heads up on these. I had heard they were thinking about making this but did not know when. Thanks guys.

how much for just a bull barrel you can put on it then?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCB6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Savage parts and order the heavy barrel. Be prepared to open up the barrel channel. </div></div>Savage won't sell barrels or barreled actions for that matter... very frustrating