• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mark II TR Range Report

spiritzerothree

Flight Engineer
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
Fort Belvoir, VA
Well i finally got my Mark II TR, a couple different flavors of .22LR, and figured anyone out there considering the platform might like to see the results.

Test was shot at Cedar Rod and Gun Club in Cedar, Mi. Temp was about 75°F, Dewpoint 68°F, Pressure 30.02in Hg. Winds were 4.0-9.0mph from my 7:30 position.

Equipment used:
Savage Mk II TR
Harris 1A2-LM
Rimfire Technologies 25 MOA Rail
Burris XTR 1in Med Rings
Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50mm Mil-Dot Scope
SKD Tactical BALS Mk-2 rear bag

Ammunition was limited by the local sporting goods chain to Wolf Match Target, Wolf Match Extra, and Federal Auto Match. Ammo was tested at 50, 100, and 200 yards, with 5 rounds at 50 and 100, and 10 at 200 because i was a little iffy on some of the wind calls. Now onto the photos

Ammo Tested
4918765000_00723bc47f_z.jpg

The Range
4918764670_0995de667e_b.jpg

The 200 yard line
4918765398_a7fd3fd547_b.jpg

View through the scope at 200
4918764344_2ccc2075c2_b.jpg

50 yard results
4918169151_b37c019926_b.jpg

4918763252_880fe1cd29_b.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline">100 Yard Results</span>

Wolf Match Target
4918166287_682d84e00b_b.jpg

4918762938_df530d77f4_b.jpg

Wolf Match Extra
4918168723_653462e3cc_b.jpg

4918763190_dd46ce7fd1_b.jpg

Federal Auto Match
url]

url]

<span style="text-decoration: underline">200 Yard Results</span>

Wolf Match Target
url]

url]

Wolf Match Extra
url]

url]

Federal Auto Match
url]

url]

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Lessons Learned</span></span>
-There is no such thing as cheap match ammo (need to ditch the auto match and test some Eley next)
-Rimfire wind calls are a lot less forgiving
-.22LR is a whole lot of fun when the .308 is at the smith.

Re: Mark II TR Range Report

Great post SZ3.
I really like my TR R, but I can still out shoot it with my trusty old MKII FV. I'm thinking this is due to the TR R not being broke in yet. Everytime I get to shoot it it improves, so I'm sure it won't be long before the accuracy is there. actually there is only a very small difference between the two rifles & their groupes. I can't find any Wolf on the shelf in my area, but I am having good luck with CCI Mini Mag, & CCI and Remington Subsonic ammo.

nice shooting. Got a similar set up on the same rifle. +1 on the cheap match ammo lol.

Trying to sell my Savage BVTS to buy one of these.... Just don't know if I want the Cablea's exclusive or the regular TR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't know if I want the Cablea's exclusive or the regular TR. </div></div>
I checked Cabela's web page and I didn't see a TR being offered here. Where can I find info on the Cabela's Exclusive version?

I am new at the rimfire game and have a couple of questions. Is the barrel break in on my 17hmr the same as my custom built 308? My MarkII has a wood stock, is it necessary to bed it?

Thank you for any info.

Barrel break in,depending on whom you talk to,is either nonsense or a mysterious art.I follow the first thought, however accuracy oftentimes improves with shooting as the bullets "smooth out" the bore of the barrel.Bedding any stock can't hurt and quite often will help immensely

Where did you find a TR and do you mind sharing what you paid for it?

Thanks

Local shop ordered it for me, and you guys are probably going to hate me for this but i got it for 385+tax

-Nick

Great price! Thanks for the info. Trying to decide if the $206 for the TR stock was almost the price of the rifle. Probably still a good deal. I'm guessing the stock is of higher quality than the other $79 dollars ones that are out there.

Thanks for the write up! Its great seeing what other folks are experiencing. I'll be at the range tomorrow popping the cherry on a CZ 453 I just picked up. I'll try to force myself to take some pics so I can post something here.

Regarding barrel break in... has anyone tried Tubbs Final Finish on their .22 or is it considered a waste of time for small bore?