• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Marking/labeling Barrels

tcaddell

Play Stupid Games....Win Stupid Prizes
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2007
Texas THANK GOD
Looking at some different options for marking my barrels after I finish them. Have looked at etching machines and laser engravers. Not wanting to sink a ton of money into it as it is just a hobby but don’t want it to look like shit either. Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

I've seen a lot of knife makers use electro-chemical etchers with what looks like good results to me. Not sure if you'd get the depth of a laser or mechanical engraver through.

Though this gentleman seemed to get impressive depth with an etcher.

Had my Grendel done by a local friend. Cheaper than buying one....
20200422_150937.jpg

Your best bet would probably be to find someone who can do a laser etch for you. Excellent quality, and very very flexible. I have a nice electro chemical setup, but I don’t use it in favor of a local laser guy. Too cheap and easy, and he does it while I wait.

He has a cool technique where a frequency change on the laser creates a shiny almost iridescent look. I used to have him just etch then coat, but this looks much classier.

Here’s an example. Shallow etch through Cerakote and blackened.
E395B269-72D5-4572-83C1-72AFC6BF716A.jpeg

Vs a standard etch through cerakote.
89935CA1-406B-4AEC-B237-0DDC59EA5E8B.jpeg

Deep etch through Cerakote and blackened. Note the gloss appearance in the “6mm”
4CE35C59-A293-4012-A179-ED831B52B968.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Carlos Danger