• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Marking the barrel of a Rifle.

Don-n-Texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2011
Houston now in Denton County
A few years ago I had some work done on the camber of my Remington .308. The work was top notch. The Smith told me he turn the ordinal marking down. He said he would need to remark it on the topside so they could be read. He didn’t remark the barrel.
Question is it a requirement the Barrel or receiver be remarked.
if I sell the rifle should I have it remarked.
The Smith closed up shop soon after I got my rifle.

Maybe I'm obtuse.....

If he turned the original logo or caliber off the barrel - no biggie. No real need to sweat that one.

If he turned the reciver and removed the serial number - that can be a biggie. And the original serial number needs to be re-applied.

Let us know which it is.

Andrew

If the caliber marking is legible on the barrel then don't worry about it.

This guy just did a laser caliber marking on a barreled action for me. He was VERY east to work with, did several test runs on a flat plate for size and depth for me to approve. Gave me the data when I need the next one done.
Did the work while I waited on it, about 30minutes. Cost me $30. If you need it done call ahead to check his schedule.
He is is Stafford.

Not something I’d lose sleep over, unless I was the one that knowingly told someone I’d do something and then didn’t.

Reactions: Don-n-Texas
Maybe I'm obtuse.....

If he turned the original logo or caliber off the barrel - no biggie. No real need to sweat that one.

If he turned the reciver and removed the serial number - that can be a biggie. And the original serial number needs to be re-applied.

Let us know which it is.

Andrew

"...And the original serial number needs to be re-applied."

That is exactly how you land yourself in prison. A serial number is a no-touch item. That means, NO TOUCHING. You don't alter it in any capacity. You can't relocate it, make it deeper, replace it, nothing.

IF in fact the SN of that receiver has been altered, that action should be cut up into tiny little pieces and scattered in a variety of land fills. Then the idiot that did it needs to get out a CC and replace it along with any/all peripheral costs.

I've had this conversation a variety of times with the folks at the BATFE Industry operations center in Minneapolis. This policy is ultimately governed by the Small Arms Division of the BATFE and they have not budged on the ruling one bit for at least as long as I have been alive. (48 years and counting)

Do as you will but know that if you go fucking with SN's you are playing with fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krawlven
Thank You
The serial Number is untouched. It is just like it was when brought it home.

Good, cause this is where that leads to:

gore-meme-4.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: black5.3