• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marking Your 80% lowers

tag_heuer

Lead Farmer and Garbage Collector
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
NOR CAL
I just build my first 80% LR 308 lower. What I want to know is anyone putting a personal serial number on theirs or some other kind of marking or are you just leaving it completely blank? I know currently you're not required with the 80%ers, but I'm worried if it ever was to be stolen, being able to say that was my rifle if it was recovered and being able to prove it. Anyways...just wanted to know what everyone else was doing. 023.jpg

Some type of serial number, name , city & state always go on things I built.

I'm planning on marking an interior surface, and leaving the exterior blank, if the 80%s I ordered ever show up. :/

I did personal engraving, safety selector and personal S/N markings. Not just in case it got stolen but so anybody who knows me knows that is mine and could only ever be mine.

I did personal engraving, safety selector and personal S/N markings. Not just in case it got stolen but so anybody who knows me knows that is mine and could only ever be mine.

That's a perfect reason too, where did u take it to or send it off to do that?

I had to take it in person, took it to the Engravers Gallery in Oceanside. It came out beautifully especially after the Cerakote in Magpul O.D. Green to match the stock and grip.

I had to take it in person, took it to the Engravers Gallery in Oceanside. It came out beautifully especially after the Cerakote in Magpul O.D. Green to match the stock and grip.

You mind adding a pic? If like to have an idea to copy. If u don't mind

There is legislation going through CA right now about requiring law abiding citizens to have to apply to the state and pay a fee to get a "CA DOJ issued" serial number (if not already serialized) and having to serialize any home built firearms in Commiefornia. I was thinking of serializing mine "FUCK YOU", "FUCK YOU 2", "FUCK BOXER", "FUCK FEINSTEIN", "FUCK DE LEON" before this goes into effect... Not sure if there is a limit to the number of digits you can use in a serial number? Thought I could have it Laser etched inside the magwell on my lowers.

There is legislation going through CA right now about requiring law abiding citizens to have to apply to the state and pay a fee to get a "CA DOJ issued" serial number (if not already serialized) and having to serialize any home built firearms in Commiefornia. I was thinking of serializing mine "FUCK YOU", "FUCK YOU 2", "FUCK BOXER", "FUCK FEINSTEIN", "FUCK DE LEON" before this goes into effect... Not sure if there is a limit to the number of digits you can use in a serial number? Thought I could have it Laser etched inside the magwell on my lowers.

That's awesome!!! I think you'll need at least one number in your serial number somewhere. But other than that. I thnk I that's brilliant

I think back some time ago S&W used Laser etching for a few serial numbers on their guns until the ATF said no go. Seems the laser was not permanent enough as in it didn't change the structure of the base metal enough. I guess with stamping, even if it is ground off the, metal has a deep molecular "image" of the SN stamp. So I think mechanical or laser etching might not meet OEM standards for the ATF. For simple ID sounds like laser is the way to go.

Or I'm full of shit, maybe someone can confirm?
David E.

I guess with stamping, even if it is ground off the, metal has a deep molecular "image" of the SN stamp. So I think mechanical or laser etching might not meet OEM standards for the ATF.

Ever heard of a milling machine? I would think if you were not a law abiding citizen and were going to do something illegal like obliterating the serial number, removing .030" or .050" of material would clean the surface pretty well. Or you could give it that "skelletanized" effect.

Also this is not an ATF thing, but a commiefornia thing. Not even sure how it will play out in the courts or the basic legality of it since the Constitution specifically alows you to fabricate your own firearms. Just another stupid law that won't actually do anything to prevent crime in any way and creates more regulations, fees and bureaucracy. Typical Democraptic legislation.

Another option might be "0000000O" for the first lower, then "000000O0" for the second, "00000O00" for the third, etc. More subtle but still a PITA for reading/writing. Or use the long binary string that Bender had on his butt and used to go back in time (Futurama reference) using 1 and I and 0 and O.

"Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future."

Is anyone actually marking their lowers? If you are I want to see. If not then why no serial number ?