• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marks in a new Proof SS barrel?

seraphs

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2020
Saw these from my new Proof SS barrel (6 dasher Impact prefit). Is it acceptable? First Proof barrel and not sure what to expect. Never saw these from my Bartlein :(

WIN_20201225_00_22_16_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201225_00_39_38_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201225_00_42_32_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201225_00_40_51_Pro.jpg

Saw these from my new Proof SS barrel (6 dasher Impact prefit). Is it acceptable? First Proof barrel and not sure what to expect. Never saw these from my Bartlein :(

View attachment 7513309View attachment 7513310View attachment 7513311View attachment 7513312
I've seen worse but I don't think it's acceptable. There's a chance it will shoot just fine. I would contact Proof and see what they say. Regardless I've had to use Proofs CS and I believe they will take care of you.

How much is too much? Do you have to shoot it to see if it has a bad effect? Is this the type of problem that gets worse? Is this something that has always been there, but before cost effective electronic borescopes we just didn't know about it? thanks.

What did Proof Research have to say about it?

Thanks guys! I decided to give it a try since it's on my action anyway. Curious to see if copper may fill in and make the area smoother. Will post some pictures later!

Reactions: MLS2GO
I haven’t been too terribly impressed with proof steel barrels when looking with a borescope.

They have however, shot perfectly fine. So I don’t worry when I see something unless it proves to be a problem.

Send pics to proof, see what they say. Keep them as record in case it actually doesn’t perform well.

Reactions: Smittiac
Interested to hear how it shoots, just built a new rifle with a Proof stainless M24 barrel. Shoots like a laser right out of the box. Hope it shoots for you.

I have to agree with what others are saying. It is best to run some rounds down it and see just how it shoots. At the end of the day that is was really matters.

I found these exact same marks in my 6.5 creedmoor prefit when it was brand new. It turned to be the most accurate barrel I’ve ever owned by FAR.

Couldn't hurt to try some of Tubbs Final Finish down the bore, no? It could help smooth it out.

I'd say that you email them, like others have said. I don't find it to be acceptable quality since they are a top notch barrel maker.

Shoot the barrel first and see how it performs at both close and long distance. Some of the most accurate barrels look like hell through a borescope. And some of the best looking barrels do not always shoot great.
Then give the barrel maker a call if you are not happy with it.

Reactions: Superjet
I have a button barrel from another MFG that looked like that when new. The thing hammers and I don't have any issues related to the marks. I'd shoot it and see what you think.

Finally got a chance to shoot it today. Broke in/cleaned the barrel a few times then shot some groups with two different bullets. Here are my results...
6 Dasher DTAC 115gr Varget.jpg

I guess I am okay with the DTAC. But the barrel didn't like Lapua scenar that much :(

Attachments

• 6 Dasher Lapua 105gr Varget.jpg
    6 Dasher Lapua 105gr Varget.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Genin