• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Marksmanship Training for Normal People...

BamaAl

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Harvest, AL
Running the risk of being flamed to hell and back...I've got a question on training academies. My wife, bless her little heart, has mentioned sending me off to shooting training as a gift. Kind of like summer camp for grown men. Anyway, I would really love to do somethng like that but I don't like the stuff I'm finding. Everything seems to be geared toward military/LEO, or if it's for civilians the descriptions are written like a prep school for future SEALs. What if I just want to go somewhere to learn about shooting rifles for long range precission? I'm not interested in tactics, or urban warfare, or trying to pretend I'm a real sniper who can hit a guy in the head, in a moving vehicle, at 800 yards, hanging out of a helicopter.
grin.gif
If the course supplies list reads like I'm heading off to the sand pit....it's probably not what I'm looking for.

Does such a place exist?

Re: Marksmanship Training for Normal People...

I watched all of the Magpul training disks, and they seem to have a high quality training program. They apparently conform the finish of the classes for CCW and other civilian students as well as the MIL/LEO students.

Frankly, 95% of the class is generic around either pistol, carbine or shotgun.

If you want long range training, I would look at the Accuracy 1st program. He teaches guns and shooting, without the Gilly Suit arts.

You are a lucky man to have a wife like that, who would send you off to camp.

Bama, talk to knight11b4. i think he's hosting a class down there in b'ham in july

Check out the CMP Website, they have GSM clinics all over the country. They are just what you are looking for.

Also check out your State Rifle and Pistol Assn. Many clubs put on High Power clinics.

The thing about the two above mentioned venues, they don't cost an arm and a leg. Some don't even charge at all.

I've never charged for mine except to cover the cost. CMP charges me $20 to put on a clinic. I split that between the shooters.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Very much appreciated!

There may still be time. The United States Army Marksmanship Unit's Small Arms Firing School is July 27, 28 and 29 this year at Camp Perry. This event is all about teaching the average guy/gal how to shoot. Last year, over 700 folks from around the country participated in this event. Each participant will get classroom and range instruction from highly qualified shooters/coaches, even instruction from champion shooters on the AMU's Service Rifle Team. It's all you need to get off to a good start. The AMU will furnish you with a rifle and ammunition. The cost is only 40 dollars as I recall and you get a certificate and USAMU T-shirt upon completion. At any rate, it's just plain fun. I was a line coach last year and had folks at my two firing points from 12 years to about 70 years old. I also coached a lady from MI, a 1st grade teacher. It was her first experience with a gun. She said she had heard about the program and wanted to put it on her schedule of summer activities she had never before experienced. She seemed to enjoy it all. I think you would too. Also, other than shooting a military style rifle while learning there's nothing "military" about the training. The members of the AMU and supporting personnel from our armed services will treat you like family-a family of shooters. Everybody will be glad you came.

Per above, check with your local NRA Shooting Programs.

NRA has a Basic Class for everything Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun. The "Basic Classes" are just that, but chances are talking to the instructors who provide those classes will lead to other options.

The NRA website is currently showing about 20 different classes in Alabama at 5 different locations:
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Looks like there are a number of clubs listed in AL for CMP:
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?clubMembership=OPEN&state=AL

Check with those agencies, and they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction on a local level.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

You need to look into www.kmprecisionrifletraining.com

Unprecedented instruction with world class facilities. There are many great instructors and locations out there however the fact that you're in Alabama lends itself to a short drive to a kick ass place.

Email or call and they will be more than happy to discuss your specific wants and needs and they'll be able to accommodate you to the fullest.

Good Luck.

i recently attended a cmp highpower clinic with my local rifle and pistol assoc. very much worth the small fee and they loaned NM rifles to anyone who attended. learning fundamentals about position, breathing, trigger control, etc along with little tips and hints from guys who have been at it for a while made for a great day.

Stay tuned for more info on a class in Birmingham in Aug.

We hosted one there in May and had great reviews. BGTC has asked us back for another one.

More info to follow soon in another thread. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

Hey Knight, I would love to take your class in the Bahamas. Sand, ocean and cool drinks...

But seriously, he obviously ment Birmingham. I went to the one in May and it was a great class! I'll be watching for the next one to see if I can make that one too.

And PM me if you want to get together and shoot.

Most instructors will do private one on one training and tailor it to your needs. Find a facility that interests you and contact them about private training.

However this is more costly

I offer a course in advanced military rifle marksmanship which is designed for one on one delivery. The course itself is relatively inexpensive but my travel expenses makes the course out of reach for most normal people. Google M4 Marksmen.