• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70

KYAggie

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 2, 2014
    Kentucky
    Casually looking for a 1895CB to go with a 336CB I have and have really enjoyed. I found one made by Remington for a decent price, but not being local to it I can’t put my hands on it to see how the fit and finish is compared to my JM Marlins. Anyone here own one or have you ever handled one?

I also found a Marlin LTD IV, but it looks like it’s not been a safe queen from the blurry pictures, which still might be ok if I can get better pictures as long as the bore is good. I doubt anyone has put enough rounds down one to wear out the barrel even if they were competition shooting with it.

I have found several 1895 38-55 CB’s that look nice, but I already have 45-70 loading stuff as I have a 1895G and don’t really need another round to load for unless I can come up with a compelling reason to select a 38-55 over a 45-70, which I haven’t so far. Anyone have experience with the 38-55?

Get the 45-70 just due to brass availability.

They are just fine. Make sure you can get your hands on it before you buy and slug the bore. Marlins are often oversized.

Reactions: KYAggie
    My Win 1886 is a better rifle. Just food for thought

Hmmmm, I’ll have to look into that. About 20 years ago I came close to buying a 1886 “Lightweight”, it might have been a takedown. I remember it being a nice rifle, I should have bought it.

How did you 1895CB shoot compared to your 1886?

My Win 1886 is a better rifle

Thanks wvfarrier for sending me down the 1886 rabbit hole. Dang. They do look nice. I like the standard 26” octagon barreled versions as well as the 24” Short Rifle versions with the round barrel. I also looked at the Brownings, which tend to be much more expensive for some reason and the Chiappa’s and Cimarron’s which are more cost effective, but don‘t have ”Winchester” stamped on them, although, they also don’t have “Japan” stamped on them either.

1). Why are the Brownings so expensive?

2). Has anyone handled or shot a Chiappa? They have a nice looking case hardend model that’s interesting. Is the fit, finish, accuracy, and action as good as a Japanese Winchester?

The Brownings are made in Japan by Miroku which produces far better quality consistently than the Italian guns.

I’ve been doing some reading about the Chiappa’s. Seems it’s kind of hit or miss that you might have to do some work on it right out of the box although they seem to be good shooters once they get them smoothed up and they don’t have the tang safety. From what I’m reading, the Miroku’s have a different trigger/hammer set up called “rebounding” while the Chiappa’s have a more original trigger/hammer. I’m not sure if one is better than the other, but I’m certain the Miroku’s are better finished rifles. I wish I could handle them side by side.

I have an Miroku 1892 Trapper Takedown in .357 that is just spectacular. I also have a ruger marlin 1895 guide gun that I have setup as a shorter range hunter. It's also really nice but I have more fun shooting the pistol caliber.

The rebounding trigger means you can carry the rifle with one in the chamber and it will be drop safe. You can't tell the difference when shooting. It's basically an automatic version of the "half cocked" position you can manually put the marlin into.

IMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_5231.jpeg

I worked in the industry and handled them side by side and for the money, I would go Winchester/Browning.

The Winchester legacy or heritage or something like that, series are superlative rifles.

Get the 1886 Winchester or browning and be done with it.

Buffalo Arms where I used to work has a Browning or Winchester 1886 45-70 on consignment and I would call and make an offer on it if I were you.

On funny/useful thing about the ruger/marlin is that the barrel is threaded. It's actually surprisingly pleasant to shoot with a can and the subsonic 45-70 is a hoot (although dubious if it's much more powerful than .45 acp).

IMG_5635 2.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ
    I have an Miroku 1892 Trapper Takedown in .357

What a nice looking rifle! You all have convinced me, it’s time to get a Winchester. Now the decision is between a 26” Octagon barreled one and the 24” round barreled Short Rifle. I can find the Short Rifles new or barely used. I found a very nice case hardened new 45-90, but I’m sure the auction will go far north of $2000. I’ve also seen some with a mate finish, but I’m a sucker for the blue. I’ll have to give Buffalo Arms a call.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the cowboy was available, just commenting on the various incarnations of marlin 1895.

What a nice looking rifle! You all have convinced me, it’s time to get a Winchester. Now the decision is between a 26” Octagon barreled one and the 24” round barreled Short Rifle. I can find the Short Rifles new or barely used. I found a very nice case hardened new 45-90, but I’m sure the auction will go far north of $2000. I’ve also seen some with a mate finish, but I’m a sucker for the blue. I’ll have to give Buffalo Arms a call.
    The 1886 Deluxe Case Hardened would be the one I would get if its mostly a collector. The case hardened finish is so nice it's hard to treat it like a real ranch rifle, though.

For me, the octagon is the way to go. But the legacy round barrel carbine I held was nice. The rifle at BA is an octagon 1886.

Another question. Are the takedown versions worth the extra expense and hassle of finding one?

I do like the deluxe case hardened rifles, but for some reason the “carbine” versions just don’t appeal to me which is sad because I see several for sale on GB.

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
    You have a marlin 336 cowboy and want the companion 45-70. The straight stock makes it an 1895 cowboy. if that's your preference I would just look for a decent 1895 CB

I have an 1886 take down in 45-90. love it
    But it's not a Marlin. No scope, hard to disassemble , not as slick cycling action

I like your inclination to go with a matching 336 and 1895 in cowboy
    I'd probably do the same

Be careful Marlinitis is tough to shake

Reactions: lariat and KYAggie
    Another question. Are the takedown versions worth the extra expense and hassle of finding one?
    For me, absolutely.

But, this is because I was a twice victim of “The Marlin Jam” and I want the ability to rapidly / toolessly disassemble the rifle for access to clear a malfunction and also cleaning.

-Stan

Thanks wvfarrier for sending me down the 1886 rabbit hole. Dang. They do look nice. I like the standard 26” octagon barreled versions as well as the 24” Short Rifle versions with the round barrel. I also looked at the Brownings, which tend to be much more expensive for some reason and the Chiappa’s and Cimarron’s which are more cost effective, but don‘t have ”Winchester” stamped on them, although, they also don’t have “Japan” stamped on them either.

1). Why are the Brownings so expensive?

2). Has anyone handled or shot a Chiappa? They have a nice looking case hardend model that’s interesting. Is the fit, finish, accuracy, and action as good as a Japanese Winchester?

I have one of the 16.5” Taylor & Company 1886 takedowns made by Chiappa and a newer 1873 from Winchester. Generally speaking the Winchester has a bit better fit and finish and is a bit smoother compared to the Chiappa. I had to run the action quite a bit to get it to smooth out though it isn’t bad.

Accuracy is up for debate as I only had a red dot on it and shot steel with subs while suppressed. Never put it on paper to see how it grouped but at best it will be a sub 100 yard hunting gun when I want to be quiet.

Buffalo Arms where I used to work has a Browning or Winchester 1886 45-70 on consignment and I would call and make an offer on it if I were you.

I called, they sent pictures, I bought it. You should go claim your commission! Thanks for the heads up, it wasn’t even on their website yet. I talked to Dave and told him someone told me it was there and he went and found it. It’s a Winchester 26” takedown which will be great for cleaning from the back. The wood is in great shape, but not best I’ve see on these guns, I might restock it with nicer wood, we shall see. Over all, I’m very pleased to be purchasing it, thanks for giving me the heads up.

Here’s some pictures they sent:
    GUN0160611P3XX.jpeg
    GUN0160611P3XX^ALT1.jpeg

It is truly in really nice shape. You won't be disappointed. Send your FFL over and call and ask Don to put 2 50 cal musket balls in the box with it when he ships it so you can slug your bore if you don't have the musket balls already. Slug the bore and load your own hardcast to .001 over groove diameter.

I called, they sent pictures, I bought it. You should go claim your commission! Thanks for the heads up, it wasn’t even on their website yet. I talked to Dave and told him someone told me it was there and he went and found it. It’s a Winchester 26” takedown which will be great for cleaning from the back. The wood is in great shape, but not best I’ve see on these guns, I might restock it with nicer wood, we shall see. Over all, I’m very pleased to be purchasing it, thanks for giving me the heads up.

Here’s some pictures they sent:View attachment 8182109View attachment 8182110
    Congratulations @KYAggie!

-Stan

Now the quest for a rear peep sight begins. Hopefully this one has been drilled and tapped for a peep, I know the new ones are. I’m not a fan of the tang sights and would likely have to modify the safety to use one anyway. Probably limited to Williams or Lyman. I wonder if either would get me on paper at 600 yards? Any other suggestions?

Edit. I’m not sure this one has been drilled and tapped from this picture:

GUN0160611P3XX^ALT2.jpeg

Maybe Skinner? Have them on several of my Marlins, not sure if it’s an option for your 1886. Congrats btw, she’s a beauty.

ETA: found a link

Maybe Skinner?

Skinner makes solid stuff for sure, but that sight doesn’t have the elevation adjustments I’m wanting. They make a ladder sight though that could work, but it’s not a peep.

I would have to have the receiver drilled and tapped, but a Lyman Pattern #21 could be interesting.

BTW……For you Marlin fans, of which I am also, Skinner use to make a ladder peep that attached to the receiver on Marlins, but he machined them by hand. They have been so busy with new products that they have not written code for their CNC machines to mill them, so they are no longer in production. I know this because I talked to them about it earlier this week. The only way they will spend time to build them is if they know there is a market for them. The person I talked to at Skinner wants them made again because he wants one and so he can stop explaining to people that call why they don’t make them. I plan on putting the information out on a few lever gun forums like the Marlin forum and maybe 🤮 fakebook, if I can figure out how, to try to drum up some pressure to put them back into production. I would love to have several of these for my Marlins. It folds down to have a ghost ring peep and then elevates to have a ladder peep. Here’s a picture of the sight:

IMG_1307.png

Reactions: fanninland
    Now the quest for a rear peep sight begins. Hopefully this one has been drilled and tapped for a peep, I know the new ones are. I’m not a fan of the tang sights and would likely have to modify the safety to use one anyway. Probably limited to Williams or Lyman. I wonder if either would get me on paper at 600 yards? Any other suggestions?

Edit. I’m not sure this one has been drilled and tapped from this picture:

View attachment 8182448

It looks not tapped. You will also want to stay away from Williams if possible and try to get something from Lyman. They make better sights.

Just my opinion being a big marlin fan. DO NOT
    Buy a Marlin made by Remington. You could say some were good some were bad but honestly more on the bad side. Stocks improperly fitted,
    Rough finishing jobs.
    The 1895 has always been a great rifle, I like the SBL model. But any 1895 with a 1x5 scope will get the job done.
    I did not know they made a cowboy 1895, i thought it was the 1894s. But that would be cool to see.

First, does anyone know how to upload or attach a short video here? I can’t figure it out. Maybe it’s not possible.

Any way. I bought that 1886 pictured above, it’s sitting at my FFL’s waiting for me to get it.

As far as the Cowboy models go, I have a 336 Cowboy in 30/30 with a 24” Octagon barrel and it’s quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles. Here are photos and two videos (If I can figure out how to upload them) of me shooting it yesterday on a 600 yard range. I shot the videos through a spotting scope with my iPhone attached and they are slow mo; you can see the bullet in both of them. The first video, with the 12” round target was at 400 yards. The second, with the 12”x16” steel, was at 600 yards. The gun was zeroed at 200 yards and I was shooting a hand load with 160 Hornady FTX’s with Leverevolution powder at 2370 fps; the drop is 136.5” at 600 yards. I used the hold overs in the scope as suggested by a certain state department banned app, dang it, and it was spot on. To get the very bottom of the reticle to work at 600 yards, it suggested I back off the power to 4x, which I did, and as you can see by the first try, it was spot on. I need to figure out how to get this app on a new phone or find a new app with all the available reticles and data which is this accurate.

Yes, you can hit targets at 600 yards with a 4x powered scope and a 30/30.

A83E74EA-D574-451C-910A-0CC4BA17A77B.jpeg
    E42B1005-E723-46D9-9F1C-FF236DB6B4A3.jpeg

How about iron sights off hand 1169 yards

Not only that, but he’s using a ladder sight, not a peep! I wonder how large that target is? I wish I could get my videos up, but the 12”x16” target I was shooting at 600 yards was just a blurry speck of white through the open sights on my 30/40 Krag, and those sights are pretty nice. I probably need different eye glasses to really be successful with open sights at ranges longer than 200 yards. If you look at the second picture above, you can see the 600 yard target just to the right of the end of the gravel road. Below is what it looks like up close.

Thats the next thing I want to try though, long range with open sights on a lever gun. I wanted to see what the rifle is really capable of with a scope before my eyes become the limiting factor with open sights. Obviously, I won’t be able to blame this gun for misses with open sights; only myself (It would be obvious if I could load my video). I have not picked sights yet, I’m debating between a receiver peep like the Williams Fool Proof TK, and a ladder sight like the Skinner or Smith. I’m not a fan of tang sights, at least not on lever guns.

Anybody got an old Redfield receiver sight with target knobs lying around that would fit this Marlin??? 😭
    D9E85311-212B-4A55-AD1F-7EADEDBA69EC.jpeg

Reactions: Im2bent
    Well I picked it up today. It’s a really nice rifle. I’m very please and thanks again for the heads up MK20!!

E47358FE-6AF0-411E-AD29-9A84C23EF5A1.jpeg
    DC076BCB-9E93-4C41-80DB-7C8FCA65463B.jpeg
    034AE8CA-647B-4A87-AE9F-35DE47847A6D.jpeg

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Modoc
    Question for you all you have one of these. I’ve read that they really don’t have a throat and some WFN rounds will not chamber. It does look like the rifling starts at the edge of the chamber. Have any of you had an issue with certain cast bullets not wanting to chamber? I’ve read guys running a different reamer in them to keep this from happening. Right now I have bullets from 300 to 525 grains to try in it.

977FE83C-E71B-4CA5-B030-05143B0AE0E1.jpeg

Question for you all you have one of these. I’ve read that they really don’t have a throat and some WFN rounds will not chamber. It does look like the rifling starts at the edge of the chamber. Have any of you had an issue with certain cast bullets not wanting to chamber? I’ve read guys running a different reamer in them to keep this from happening. Right now I have bullets from 300 to 525 grains to try in it.

View attachment 8195237

I personally haven’t run into that issue but I don’t shoot super WFN bullets. You could always get a case gauge to check before loading.