• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Marlin 45-70 suppressor

I just decided this morning I'll be getting an Obsidian 45 purely for the fact that it can handle 45/70. I emailed rugged and was assured that full power hunting loads were not a problem. Have you shot it yet? I'm planning on picking up the same rifle.

This one

I would agree, if the can is going to live on this and other rifles, the SiCo Hybrid 46 is the way to go. I'll be using my can on a .45 ACP pistol also so the lighter weight and option for a shorter "K" configuration can be advantageous. Depends on the intended use.

The only other mainstream option I'm aware of is the Bowers VERS 458, but that thing is pretty big and heavy. Im sure theres a few smaller companies out there that have something.

I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but the Rugged Obsidian is now raged for 45-70 @ 16”. Wouldn’t be my first choice for a dedicated rifle can though...

Primarily pistol with occasional rifle use = Obsidian 45
Primarily rifle with occasional pistol use = Hybrid 46

Hearing that the Obsidian can be used on my 45-70 makes my day. Some 500 grain subsonic loads sound fun.
I’m like 6 months in sounds like I should expect another 5-6

Got a Hybrid in jail now. Bought it for a .45 Raptor build that needs some kinks worked out. That 1895 Dark is interesting. Not sure where Remlin quality is these days but I'd want to tear it down and go through all the parts.

• Wow
Reactions: jcsparky
Got a Hybrid in jail now. Bought it for a .45 Raptor build that needs some kinks worked out. That 1895 Dark is interesting. Not sure where Remlin quality is these days but I'd want to tear it down and go through all the parts.
Not a bad idea... No any gunsmiths which can tweak it?

I picked up an 1895 in .450 Marlin several years back - even though it was a JM I did a little research over on Marlin Owners forum and tore it down to check it out but mainly for grins and to get familiar with it. I installed a WWG trigger, ejector spring and aluminum mag follower. IIRC it wasn't too complicated to take apart and put back together, but I wasn't doing any gunsmith type work like slicking up the action. Hella fun to shoot.

I also would like to hear a range report on the Dark Series, especially with a can. Would shooting subs be a viable option for hog-killin' and such? I've got a .45 Obsidian I've only used with pistols, never crossed my mind that it would handle 45-70 stuff too.

I do know if there's much of anything subsonic available in loaded ammo, but maker bullets has a 500gr low velocity expanding projectile that looks like it'd put a hurtin' on some pigs.

I picked up an 1895 in .450 Marlin several years back - even though it was a JM I did a little research over on Marlin Owners forum and tore it down to check it out but mainly for grins and to get familiar with it. I installed a WWG trigger, ejector spring and aluminum mag follower. IIRC it wasn't too complicated to take apart and put back together, but I wasn't doing any gunsmith type work like slicking up the action. Hella fun to shoot.

I also would like to hear a range report on the Dark Series, especially with a can. Would shooting subs be a viable option for hog-killin' and such? I've got a .45 Obsidian I've only used with pistols, never crossed my mind that it would handle 45-70 stuff too.

I'm good at following directions.. I'll jump on google and find that forum...

I do know if there's much of anything subsonic available in loaded ammo, but maker bullets has a 500gr low velocity expanding projectile that looks like it'd put a hurtin' on some pigs.
I'll get my brother to cast me some 500gr.. BUT i don't want to shoot those through a can...

I'll get my brother to cast me some 500gr.. BUT i don't want to shoot those through a can...
That is one of the reasons I'd personally lean toward the Obsidian 45 or some other can that can be disassembled. What good is a 45/70 if you can't lob giant chunks of hardcast? lol

The Liberty Goliath might be worth a look also. It's 10"x2" so it's got some volume and it's serviceable. They list it for .458 Socom, but if it can handle a .458 Socom SBR I'd imagine it'd handle a 16" 45/70 just fine.

That is one of the reasons I'd personally lean toward the Obsidian 45 or some other can that can be disassembled. What good is a 45/70 if you can't lob giant chunks of hardcast? lol

The Liberty Goliath might be worth a look also. It's 10"x2" so it's got some volume and it's serviceable. They list it for .458 Socom, but if it can handle a .458 Socom SBR I'd imagine it'd handle a 16" 45/70 just fine.

That's part of why I got the Obsidian, I want to chop and thread a 77/44 and use cheap 300gr hard cast. If lead out of a pistol caliber through a can is anything like lead out of a .22 through a can, easy disassembly and cleaning is high on my list of requirements.