• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

marlin 880sq potential

DAFAR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Bremerton Washington
Hey guys I have a Marlin 880 sq in a nice boyds thumbhole laminate stock with a free floated barrel and no bedding.
I have a question about accuracy potentials with my marlin in comparison with cz452 and the savage mkII rifles. My long term goal is to shoot in 22 silouette matches out to 200 yards. Currently I am shooting at 100 yards with cci mini mag and Wolf match ammo.
At 100 yards using cci mini mag I can consistantly shoot 2 moa groups
With wolf matchI can shoot 1.25-1.5 consistantly
However when I shoot out to 200 things fall apart and I start getting 6 - 8 inch groups.
My question is this HAve I reached the potential of a 22 rinfire rifle already? would ther be any benefit to shifting to the Savage or the cz 452

Re: marlin 880sq potential

IMO the CZ will give you better consistancy with different ammos, and also IMO more accurate overall than the marlin and savage.

6"-8" isn't really all that bad, and of course you may be able to bring it in under 6".

take a look at this guy's picture, shot 200yds with an anshutz:
febscore200.jpg
[/

the "9 ring" is eight inches, and the "10 ring" is four inches, that's a pretty good example (except for that one round at 5:00ish) that 24 rounds can be put inside 6" vertically, and the group looks t be around 5" or less horizontally - and that's with a sling.

maybe the marlin is at it's limits, maybe not. as you can see above, rimfires can do 6" or under at 200. i don't think your groups would be falling apart if it were 6"-8", especially if that 8" is mostly a vertical measurement.

Re: marlin 880sq potential

My savage MKII-TR seems to eat up anything I put into it and produce good sized groups (i'm sure the rifle out shoots me easily) so I would suggest these guns highly but that isn't to say that you're not allready getting great results. 22's become more unpredictable beyond 100 and I think you're doing very well for what you have. I would suspect that if you try a CZ, Savage or even an Anschutz (which would be paramount for the type of shooting you are working towards) at that range you will be more than impressed.

Hope this helps,
-Dylan