• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marlin 917 Trigger

Re: Marlin 917 Trigger

No, they're not adjustable.

I'd throw in a Rifle Basix in it.

I've installed 3, 2 on my rifles and one on a buddies rifle.

If you watch Midway, they sometime have them on sale.

rifle basixs. i put one in a 882, turned it into a completely different rifle. no special tools needed. i think i paid $67 through mid south shooters which is about the best price i found.

e. arthur brown (eabco) would be the second best $

if i thought about it a little more, i would have put the $ towards a savage with an accutrigger, but i have alot of time and sweat into tweaking the marlin out.

it shoots well, however they put the front mounting screw attached to the barrel in a dove tail, which kinda counter acts the whole freefloat concept. you can however play with the torque of that mounting screw to help "tune" the barrel, but i like the free float better for changing weather conditions.

the rifle basix is about a 15 minute to 30 min install depending on your mechanical ability, but it's not brain surgery.

one tip:
get some empty cases to use for dry firing so you can get the correct feel for the triggersetting, and test against slam fires.
once you got it in, also test rifle by firmly "tapping" the butt of the stock against a few layers of carpeting on your floor, if using for hunting, with the rifle cocked, empty casing in the chamber, safety off and on.

you'll see you groups shrink and consistantcy go up.

So I finally installed my Rifle Basix trigger, but now the safety won't engage at the pull weight and sear adjustment I want. The "pin" on the trigger doesn't seem to align with the safety mechanism. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I don't see how it is possible to install the trigger wrong. Any ideas?

seems that most of the rifle basix triggers don't engage the safety properly if you go past the lightest pull weights that the trigger is designed for. when you put more weight on the trigger, does the safety work? mine is presently at the gunsmith's getting something done so i could only loook at the directions. i'd try putting the old trigger back in to make sure everything is still the way it came from the factory, if all is well, get familiar of how it looks and operates with the old trigger in, then put the new one again making sure once more that all the parts are aligned properly. it's probably something simple that got moved out of place.

I have a 25N and a new 925. The 25N is the old model of the 9xx series rifles. Can I put a Rifle Basix in it? I was just going to lap and fiddle with the trigger on the 25 by myself but if there's a drop in I'd be ready to do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 25N and a new 925. The 25N is the old model of the 9xx series rifles. Can I put a Rifle Basix in it? I was just going to lap and fiddle with the trigger on the 25 by myself but if there's a drop in I'd be ready to do that. </div></div>

There are 2 different rifle basix triggers for Marlin. The pre 900 series is what you need for the 25N...they call it the Mar-1...the visual difference is the Mar-1 has a jam nut on the sear adjustment screw so you don't have to crimp the threads or locktite like you have to with the 917.

When installing be mindful of the "ears" the replacement will have to fit in on the receiver. They tend to pinch together making it hard to get the new one in.

They may cost clost to what the gun's worth, but in mine it made a huge difference.

Thanks.

The pre-2004 triggers cost about what I paid for the rifle (less tax) in 1994 when I got it. The new ones are about 50% of the cost. All in all, not a bad purchase though. I'll be getting 1 of them to try first.