• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Marlin is closing their plant

ramiller

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
pennsylvania
Marlin firearms has announced it is closing its plant in Connecticut for economic reasons this was in the news last week

Re: Marlin is closing their plant

I think they got bought out by "Freedom Group". They now are owners of Remington, DPMS, Busmaster, Marlin/NEF, and I think Barnes Bullets too.

Too bad if it's true though, I love my 336's. I think they are a much better gun that the Wincheter '94s are.

JMC

If they are closing plants for economic reasons, I wonder why they are having trouble keeping certain rifles in stock.

I was interested in a Marlin 981T, and I called several local gun stores, a few distributors, and marlin firearms.

No gun stores could find a distributor, no distributors could get it in stock, and Marlin couldn't tell me where I could get it.

I got fed up of waiting and got a CZ452 Varmit. So I realize that was just one model, (maybe not even made in that plant), but I question how models are out of stock for an extended period of time if they are closing down factories.

Over at Marlin Owners they added a forum for this topic. I'm sure you could imagine the # or re-posts...

I think you have to be a member to access it but here's the Link.

edit to add: It looks like they are in fact just relocating according to THIS.

It's a sign of the times, and times are tough right now.

I'll have to do some more reading on this. I was under the impression they were moving their plant to some place like North Carolina, where taxes and State firearm laws were/are more agreeable? I need to do some reading on this...

I'd sure hate to think we're loosing another institution such as Marlin Firearms.

I'd like to see them come here .......... I've been looking at an 1895 SBL just haven't picked one up yet . Better hurry up by the sound of this..........
frown.gif

Does anyone think that this will make the guns stamp with the current location more valuable after they make the move?

Supposedly with the Rem buyout Marlin was supposed to keep all of their board of directors, engineers, and employee's. But obivously that was not the real intention as they are moving now. I'm not a fan of so many brands being brought under the Cerberus banner.

Hmmm. Maybe my rifle will be worth more too. That would be sweet. I even keep a box off Winchester V-Max if the .17's go down the tubes.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tel0004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they are closing plants for economic reasons, I wonder why they are having trouble keeping certain rifles in stock.

I was interested in a Marlin 981T, and I called several local gun stores, a few distributors, and marlin firearms.

No gun stores could find a distributor, no distributors could get it in stock, and Marlin couldn't tell me where I could get it.

I got fed up of waiting and got a CZ452 Varmit. So I realize that was just one model, (maybe not even made in that plant), but I question how models are out of stock for an extended period of time if they are closing down factories. </div></div>

Ha ha, a blessing in disquise. The CZ's are shooters. Hope Marlin never fades away though, thier lever guns are the cats ass, always have been. Been killin whitetail with a 336 since I was 11 and thats been a while.
smile.gif

okie