• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marlin Model 60 vs Ruger 10/22?

JRockman

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2009
Colorado
I know there may be some strong opinions regarding these two choices, so that's why I'm asking!

Looking at the base models in either of these options...Under $200 for each.

Want to hit 40oz cans (perhaps bottles) at 50-100 yards (e.g. good accuracy but not sub-moa) for cheap.

Want to avoid jamming issues...drives me crazy.

What do you think?

Re: Marlin Model 60 vs Ruger 10/22?

I own both and would reccomend the Ruger for the simple fact that there are about a billion aftermarket parts for them whereas the Marlin is pretty limited . The other reason I would say this is that the magazine feed of the Ruger makes reloading a breeze even from the prone and the bullets don't get beat up like in a tube magazine (of course ramming a .22 LR into battery does some damage no matter how good of a design you have) .

Just incase, Welcome to the Forum!

I have both also. Both shoot well but I think out of the box the M60 is more accurate. As stated you can drop WAY more then the basic price of a 10/22 just into aftermarket parts alone. While I do make a few Marlin parts and plan on more I don't think they will ever reach the "custom" level of the 10/22. So I guess it ends up being what fits your budget and needs the most. Both can be problematic but there is always someone that has a fix if you ask.....

cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love my m60ss...

flat out shoots...

beer cans at 100, no sweat... </div></div>

diddo Marlin model 60 was my first ever gun, got it at 10. that gun still shoots. beer cans at 100 no prob, I like golf balls at 100 to harder to hit tho. 10/22 def has way more aftermarket support but I would take my marlin over one anyday.

I have both. The Marlin 60 is a good little shooter. However with that said the Ruger 10/22 with all the options available can be made to really drive nails at 75 and 100 yards. 9 times out of 10 when I go to the safe to pull out a .22 LR it will be the 10/22. It just feels better. That's just me.

I love my marlin. It will be perfect for what you want.

I have both a 10/22 and 60. The Ruger is a handy, quick pointing little carbine; whereas, the Marlin has the heft of a small rifle.

The 10/22 is a fun plinker, especially with a high cap magazine. One can make a 10/22 into an awesome bench/precision shooter for a reasonable sum. It will take a lot more effort to do the same for a Marlin.

My Marlin's trigger is crunchy and must be kept clean otherwise it will jam. But it is amazingly accurate. My biggest gripe is that the Marlin has such a good sight radius, but they put some Daisy BB gun rear sheetmetal sight on it.

I still kind of regret selling my model 60. It was the first 'real' rifle I owned (ie not a single shot, pull the plunger back deal...) I own three 10/22's but had to work on them to get them to shoot. The Model 60 hit what you aimed at but after bookoo rounds the mag spring in mine got tired. There's also no real aftermarket to speak of for the Marlin compared to the Ruger. The one thing that comes to mind is the rotary loading tool for the tube magazine and some cheesy stocks.

That said, neither one will hold a candle to a Marlin 39... except for the price...