• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marlin problems

Wesek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
AR
I picked up a new Marlin xt-22vr recently and have been having problems getting a decent group out of it. I've only tried Federal bulk and Remington target through it so far but they both seem to group about the same...3.5" at 45 yards.
shocked.gif
I'll try to pick up some different ammo today to try out. Suggestions anyone?

I own an older Marlin model 783 in .22mag that has always shot great no matter what ammo I fed it. Was hoping this one would be about the same.

What could some of the other culprits be? Are the xt's sensitive to action screw torque?

Any direction with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Kewes

Re: Marlin problems

I've had the same issue with my VR. I use Blazer, and I start to get a good group then it goes to pot. Got frustrated and got a Savage 17 HMR, started shooting 100+yds with better results.

Sorry to hear it. My Xt-22 (standard weight barrel) was about .5-.6" with several types of ammo at 50 yards. I chopped the barrel to 16", reinforced the forend and recut the crown and it is leaning more towards the .4-.5" mark for 5 shot groups.

Looking at the setup of the barrel lug and the action screw in front of the trigger, I would guess they could be extremely sensitive to screw tightness. I read something on rimfire central that someone saw huge results with the same ammo going from 3-4" groups to under 1" groups at 50 yards based strictly on torque settings.

I think Norcal Phoenix might be on to something. I took my Marlin XT (the skinny barreled version) out of the action to adjust the trigger, and it shot worse after I put it back together.

It will at times chew a ragged hole for 5-7 rounds, then throw two or three a good inch+ off into the wilderness... frustrating as heck.

I have never messed with action screw torque on a 22 before, but I think I'm gonna have to mess around with it on this rifle.

Mine has been very ammo sensitive as well.

Norcal P, what ammunition(s) has/have given you the most success?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I read something on rimfire central that someone saw huge results with the same ammo going from 3-4" groups to under 1" groups at 50 yards based strictly on torque settings. </div></div>

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that info, would you?

I picked up a few more varieties of ammo today to try. None of them performed any better though. There were moments of hope, immediately followed by a swift kick to the nuts.

I actually posted the results on Rimfire Central in a thread I started about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never messed with action screw torque on a 22 before, but I think I'm gonna have to mess around with it on this rifle.</div></div>

If you do please post your results.

I dont have a clear favorite on ammo and I have to get whatever I can here in Hawaii. The winchester subsonic HP and the CCI sub HP have both been very consistent.

On the next range trip I will play with settings using the same ammo and see if I can duplicate anything. Right now Im running 25lb on the front screw and only 15 on the middle. With that middle screw floating in mid air Im sure extra torque will start bending the action and that is rarely a good thing.

My little skinney barelled XT-22 with a plastic stock shoots very consistantly and I have never touched the mounting screws. I shoot CCI SS and Eley in it. CCI's are very close to being as accurate as the Eleys.
If I ever take the stock off the accuracy will probably go to H*ll!