• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marlin Trigger Job

RemingtonSPS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA
Okay guys. After an unsuccessful search i am turning to the Guru's.

<span style="font-weight: bold">RIFLE:</span> Marlin 980V .22LR

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">PROBLEM:</span></span> This rifle has a crappy trigger. From the research i have done i can get a Rifle Basix trigger for $84, which would be great but i don't want to spend it if i don't have to. Searching the net I have found where guys have removed the factory trigger return spring and replaced it with a lighter spring from a Bic click pen to decrease the trigger pull weight but no one has said what pull weight they ended up with.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #009900">QUESTIONS:</span></span> Who has done this to their Marlin? What was the resulting trigger pull weight?

If i can't get it under 3 lbs im gonna spring for the Rifle Basix.

Thanks

Re: Marlin Trigger Job

You should keep safety in mind with any trigger job. That being said i would not personally put a 20 cent pen spring in my trigger.

I would call Jerry out at benchmark barrels. He could probablly get you dialed in.
wink.gif

I don't see how its any different than tuning an AR trigger with the set screw but i appreciate your opinion.

You can do the pen spring deal but, it will still feel like shit, only lighter shit. The RB trigger is the way to go to lighten <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> take out the pre and over travel.

I looked at that thread Top Pred posted. That must be an old rifle as neither my 925 or 917 look like that. Just a FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay guys. After an unsuccessful search i am turning to the Guru's.

<span style="font-weight: bold">RIFLE:</span> Marlin 980V .22LR

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">PROBLEM:</span></span> This rifle has a crappy trigger. From the research i have done i can get a Rifle Basix trigger for $84, which would be great but i don't want to spend it if i don't have to. Searching the net I have found where guys have removed the factory trigger return spring and replaced it with a lighter spring from a Bic click pen to decrease the trigger pull weight but no one has said what pull weight they ended up with.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #009900">QUESTIONS:</span></span> Who has done this to their Marlin? What was the resulting trigger pull weight?

If i can't get it under 3 lbs im gonna spring for the Rifle Basix.

Thanks </div></div>

i have done the trigger spring trick on a marlin 883ss, and it worked great considering. but like the previous post said the trigger when from feeling like 7 pounds of shit to feeling like 2.5 lbs of shit

HAHAHA..Word!

I just tried the spring job too and thats the best description. Time to spring for the Rifle Basix.

ya the spring is better than factory but thats about it. the riflebasix is what i put in after i did the spring aswell. the riflebasix will defintally serve you well

I put the pen spring in, shimmed the sear spring to increase pressure and used my dremel to polish all of the trigger components. I don't have a scale to verify the pull value now but based off my other guns I'd say it's no more than 2.5lbs with honestly zero creep. Made a big difference in my groups. If you do this, just be sure to rack the bolt quickly a few times and lightly bump the stock to ensure the gun won't accidentally fire.

Continuing with what J_ROD said I performed the very same steps on my marlin a while back and although initially it would not roll off or bump fire. After several (read 1000-2000 shots) the soft metal used by marlin wore and the rifle began to roll off when cycled rapidly sooooo.......