• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Marlin X7HB Project

rugerdiggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Southeast Oklahoma
Many have helped with this project already and thanks to all that has done so.

For starters this was a bone stock factory gun, had a 26" bull barrel on it, pillars in the stock there version of the accutrigger, plain jane gun that with factory loads was shooting a bit bigger than 1" at 100.

In step 1 i hacked the barrel off at 21inches, got a Manson 11degree target crown tool and slowly got a great looking crown. The finished length is at 20.5inches so if it didnt turn out i could have it recrowned by a pro. After recrowning it and swabbing barrel i shot 5 shots through it then printed it on paper and group went to less than 1/2"(didnt have caliber with me but will measure it). I also threaded a tactical bolt knob on it as well. Here it after above mods.

2012-10-21_10-58-59_92.jpg

I got some 175gr smk's loaded with 46.5-48grs of CFE223, in federal gold match brass with CCI 200 primers. I got to set up my chrony and do some shooting with it today at 200yds. 47.5 and 48 both showed promising groups with 47.5 in the .9's and the 48 pretty close maybe and inch. I was shooting off the bench with bipod and rear bag, the second round i used a front rest and placed the rest 3inches closer to the action than the bipod was, my groups went near triple. I think bedding is the step 2, what do you guys think?

Re: Marlin X7HB Project

probably bedding would be a good idea.

not much in the aftermarket stocks for the X7, which stinks.

keep us posted on the progress, there's not much out there on the X7 as far as range reports and being used for a build.

My second build was a .35 Whelen on one of these. They make for an interesting econo-build. Boyds has a laminate stock for them, but I think that's it for anything besides the injected molded Marlin offering.

P1150827.JPG

I have another one coming in to rob some parts off for a customer, when I can get the replacement parts out of Marlin I plan to make a cheap .300 Blackout out of it.

that laminated stock sure pretties up that marlin.

i've been itching to build something econowise, i just got looking for a replacement stock, BM, etc for these things. not much is out there on the tacticool side, which is too bad.

the thing that catches my attention about it is the seemingly little bits and pieces of stuff from other rifles that are integrated into one.

it's like a "remsavugerberg". what i have found is that alot of guys find them pretty darn accurate.

i hope this thread goes far, at least to get more info on them.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Prairie-Hunter-Stocks-for-Marlin-XL7-XS7-Rifles-s/169.htm

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Marlin-XL7-XS7-Rifles-s/125.htm

i'd love to see a side by side comparison between the X&, savage axis, ruger american, mossberg atr to see what is actually the best of the econos.

Well i have been busy and work has been getting in the way of my fun but i did get to take out after bedding it in the factory stock. I wouldnt bed it again in the factory stock as it was probably a waste in the factory synthetic but was a good learning experience. My father-in-law and i got out with some 175gr smk at 550yds and after measuring the wind and dialing scope kept hitting elevation perfect but wind was off, finally moved 2 mil dots in the scope and hit the plate. Very frustrated checked the gun over again to find the rings loose on the base. Torqued all back down and went 3 for 3 on a 8" gong at 550yds, not bad for such a cheap rifle. I have a 20moa base on order cause this is the second time this factory base has let me down. Will try to post a pic of the metal if i can find it, hope to take it further with new base soon.

From what I read, the Win 70 stocks arent hard to fit to the Marlin. Have not tried it myself.