• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MARLIN XL7C 30-06, 270, 25-06 CAL. Tactical??

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming
$300 on the net! Savage type barrel mount, Savage type floating bolt head, pillar bedded, uses standard WRA M70 bases, savage type trigger, trigger adj to 1.5 lb, shoot 1 to 1.5 MOA with factory ammo. Could this be the poor boy's tactical platform?
Looks a lot like a 700 with a Weatherby bolt shroud.

pop_wm_1143956.jpg

Re: MARLIN XL7C 30-06, 270, 25-06 CAL. Tactical??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$300 on the net! Savage type barrel mount, Savage type floating bolt head, pillar bedded, uses standard WRA M70 bases, savage type trigger, trigger adj to 1.5 lb, shoot 1 to 1.5 MOA with factory ammo. Could this be the poor boy's tactical platform?
Looks a lot like a 700 with a Weatherby bolt shroud.

pop_wm_1143956.jpg
</div></div>

I'm just asking, but what would be the difference between this and a genuine Savage?

Was there a picture? Stupid firewall won't display it.

Yes there is a pic. Frankly I think it's much better looking than a Savage. Looks like a 700 for 1/2 the price AND excellent reviews. See:
http://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-XL7.htm

The pictures I posted is the new camo stocked version, wood soon to follow.

found a neat scope for it too (it matches)

Nikon Coyote Special Series 4.5 - 14 x40 Riflescope BDC Predator

It does "look" like a combination of Rem M700 cosmetics and Savage 110 features. Wondering if the action footprint is close to the M700 or 110 and what the barrel thread is. Would be too nice if Savage barrels were able to be dropped in.

The bolt head (minus the gas deflector) and barrel nut seem like a straight Savage knockoff.

It's not a bad rifle for the price. I picked one up in 270 Win last year for $289 out the door. I just got it to play with. Have shot it a little but havent done any serious load development yet. The poly stock is fairly stiff, much more thatn a Savage.The trigger has a safety bar simular to the Glock that I dont care for and I was only able to bring the pull down to 3 pounds. As stated it is a combination of makes, overall a great little rifle. I hear that they will have the short action models out shortly and I see a 308 or 7mm 08 in the stable.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here she is in all her glory </span>
eek.gif

270WinXL7.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Before the dura coat </span>
<span style="font-weight: bold"> some 300 yard 3 shot groups, the left is factory Federal's</span>

IMG_8703.jpg

Impressive shooting! And think of all the money you can spend on optics rather than rifle upgrades.

Bbl uses same method as a Savage but is not interchangable.
Sure it wont be long before someone has do it yourself bbls available. I've got the realtree 270 on order. Might be fun to get a bit heaver 26" bbl in 280 A.I. fast twist to try some Berger 180 VLDs in.

Lots of good info in this road test
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_Marlinxl7_200804/

five shot .8" groups (30-06!) with factory ammo! Marlin does make excellent barrels!

Now with a matching Burris 3-9 realtree and Nikon realtree (Warne) rings.....cool! (just remember where you put it down!)

Just sold 2 of these; one I built up, and worked up a load for it in .06. Got it shooing as advertised, 1/2" @100. Best load for accuracy so far, not speed, is 45grs of IMR 3031.

The best off the rack weapon I've ever shot for accuracy anyway. My only gripe is 24" of tube, should have been 26" which would have made for better load development enabling us to use a slower rate powder. And maybe a bit heavier contour as well.

PS: I added one of the Karsten Cheek Rests on it; and that made it. Cant say enough about that product. Great quality, and easy install.

Out/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best off the rack weapon I've ever shot for accuracy anyway. My only gripe is 24" of tube, should have been 26" which would have made for better load development enabling us to use a slower rate powder. And maybe a bit heavier contour as well.
</div></div>

The standard barrel is 22" on the Marlin XL7.

Yeah wouldn't a 26" 300 winmag be nice....... are you listening Marlin?

Well I finally got back to God's country (WY) just in time for the 31 days of rains to stop. It's as green here as my old home in upstate NY, the rivers and lakes are full and the snow on the Rockies looks like December! Antelope are fat, deer and Elk are low and I drew three tags plus an OTC for Mulies.
My "Po Boy Marlin TAC rifle" is coming together. Got the camo model in 270 (wish they made a 6.5x06 or 280) Burris TAC 30 in green from Natchez at a deal, Talley integrated base and ring mounts (same as M-70) and a Versa Pod from a good guy on the Hide. Contrary to the dumb story in Gun Tests, everything fits fine, the ejection is great and I was easily able to get the trigger to 2 lbs (one locknut & screw) and it passes the drop on the butt test. Yeah the safe click if you flip it forward but who is so dumb they don't ease a safe forward when sound is an issue? Whole rig came in under $800. It's light at about 7 pounds and handles perfectly for me, Mr Average at 6', 190 with a 35" sleeve.
Marlin barrels being among the best so I look forward to the sub MOA groups all reviews (except Gun Tests) obtained. (When you buy a wood stocked rifle and the barrel touches on one side and not the other, does it take a rocket science major to relieve the pressure?)
I think Marlin has a winner by stealing everybody's best ideas (Savage floating bolt and barrel attachment method, Rem 700 looks, bolt handle, safety and handling, Weatherby's fluted bolt and shroud and the Glock trigger system.)
I'm sure the line will expand with short actions and different calibers, but I already have an 11 pound TAC/Target rifle (Tikka 595 old model super sporter) so this will be a great "walkabout gun" as well as a "next great depression" affordable one.
Only bought four new gins this year and just listed about 18 rifles and shotguns on the big internet auction site as, at age 67, it's time to pare down to essentials.
I'll post some pics soon, should be fun.

You are not "rootmanslim" and you don't live in Pinedale, WY
Maybe you should learn how to trace ISP addresses.
Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and confirm it.
laugh.gif

Oh yeah, are we a bit off the subject of the Marlin rifle?

I do believe the barrels for savages are interchanable. Its like Rem picked up the savage pattern and make good use of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The marlin XL7 Bolt Action Rifle It comes in a short and long action .

O K fellaers I went on the Marlin site and could not find any info on the XL7 barrel nut or the thread size so here it is , I bought one and as all guns I clean and check them over very good before I shoot them I E headspace Freebore and genral cond , And when I did The headspace was way off the No Go Gage shut just like it was a Go Gage , So My plain with the Rifle has Changed .
I will try to put all the info I can Remember well here Goes I then removed the stock and the scope I had installed

I then Found some Things out The Savage barrel Wrench works just Fine on the Marlin , also Marlin is just like Savage They have a 700 pound Monkey who puts the nuts on They are tight Here is what a XL7 looks like apart

Here is the XL7 308 win Barrel with a Savage nut screwed on it Pretty Coooool Ha

Marlin Nut on the left Savage on The Right

The box magizine slips in the ft with a tab and a bolt on the rear

a shot of the ft of the magizine

Setting the headspace on the Marlin is The same as The Savage But it does not have a locking tab on the recoil lug and It has to be held in place , But the recoil lug is a little better It is thicker and longer so here is what I did I got the head space set and put a sight leveal on the sight and on on the bottom of the recoil lug and set it up that way , When I tightened the nut I used a large cressent wrench to hold lug see photo

After setting the head space I then removed the pressure point out of the stock and bedded the recoil lug and Action , also I set the trigger at 1 lb and 9 oz It is much smooter than the Savage acu Trigger and works much better than the Savage trigger with My fat fingers .
I am shure I could have sent the Gun back But I was Going to take it apart anyway , The barrel threads I have several used savage barrels and they measure from 1.052 to 1.042 Threads 20 per inch , The Marlin Measures 1.054 with 20 TPI , and all the nuts fit the same Marlin and Savage I tryed about 6 of them new and used The Marlim barrel is a little bigger at the rear by .045 .
Here are some photos of the stock It has steet pillers rear and ft and a slot for the recoil lug and a fair recoil pad all in all not a bad stock for cheeper stock Heck I paid 279.00

With the headspace off I looked at the bolt I don't think they test fired this one no marks at all on the bolt

Here is a shot of the bolt

As You can see now the Headspace is on and the barrel wrighting is off

I installed a Nikon 3X9X40 scope weaver mounts and weaver grandslam rings I will post a range report latter , And for all You Home gunsmiths You all should love the new Marlin Dangerous Dan

O K Feller Here Is The Range Report I did My Dangerous Dan Barrel Breakin And Cleaned Her , I love The trigger It this Gun When folks Use these they will like then Alot I did I shot 40 Winchester 150 gr Silvertips factory loads And 20 Hand loaded150 gr Nozloer B/T Packed with 44.0 grs of Tac Fed Mag Primer seated to 2.820and 20 Handloaded 155 gr Hornday A Max with 44.0 grs of Tac and Mag fed Primer seated to 2.820, The Gun started to settel in at about 20 rounds and it just got better , All in all the Little 279.00 Gun past all the test with flying Colors I was very impressed , I have seen this same thing with Savage Rifles I thing this Gun would be a great foundition to build on Or a great pack Rifle so here are whe targets The Hornadys won hands Down and the Winchesters come in 2 nd Nozlers last place They all shot very good But I have always liked Hornady Bullets and I do even more Dangerous Dan
</div></div>

howdy

Well this a Marlin not a Savage and aftermarket barrels are non existant. Same idea as Savage but not interchangable.

Savage bbls in the same caliber families (for ex. 243, 260, 7mm08, 308) are interchangable. All you need is an action vise, the correct barrel nut wrench (design has changed a bit) and a go headspace gauge.
Loosen the nut, unscrew the barrel, screw in the new barrel most of the way, put the headspace gauge in the bolt, close the bolt, screw the barrel in until it bottoms on the headspace gauge and tighten the nut.It's all available in the Brownell's catalog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The barrel threads I have several used savage barrels and they measure from 1.052 to 1.042 Threads 20 per inch , The Marlin Measures 1.054 with 20 TPI , and all the nuts fit the same Marlin and Savage I tryed about 6 of them new and used The Marlim barrel is a little bigger at the rear by .045 .
</div></div>

I believe this guy has placed a savage barrel and nut on his marlin just to see if it would thread. the savage barrel nut wrench fits aswell.

but you could sit on the side of caution. To me its sounds like the marlin and savage barrels are with in the same specs.

Howdy.

I spoke with Brownells and two aftermaket barrel makers. ALL said the barrels and nuts are NOT interchangable. My 270 headspace is dead on and in fact some necksized ONCE reloaded ammo from a model 70 will not chamber, so I guess we know which is tighter. I dug out some 10 year old reloads witha 130 Speer FB and Varget that shot well in my c. 1935 Sedgley Springfield. Plopped the Marlin down on the bench and dropped 4 (all I had) from a cold oiled barrel into 7/8" @100. 30 seconds between shots, basically a function test. barrel was too hot to hold at end of session.
IMO, these will be a good gun, certainly far better looking than the Savage. I look forward to more models coming down the pike as this is a winner.

Shot it today with 130 Speer TBBC, Nos BT, TTSX and 135 SMKs. 3/4"-1.5". Gonna free float the bbl, reinforce foreend, glassbed action (all because factory stock is a bit flexible). load is .5 gr under max with 780. Should be a sub MOA when bedded right. Why anyone is still using pressure point bedding is a mystery to me and if you torque the rear screw too tight it blocks the sear.
Still a helluva gun for $300 bucks that 99.9% of hunters would be well equipped with. Almost final camo look. Beartooth nonskid ATV footrest tape on bbl and Beartooth's open ended cam neoprene scope cover.

DSCN2839.jpg

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2841.jpg

DSCN2842.jpg

What Bi-pod is that in the pictures above, it looks nice.

It is a VersaPod. You can buy them direct, on ebay or from Brownells. Make sure you get the right foreend apapter and get the one with both the tilt and traverse finger lock wheel features. Even with the pod off (it is QD) the adapter adds a bit of weight out front to help steady a light bbled rifle like this Marlin.

Well fiends, Last night the Dremel tool, sandpaper, chisels and Brownells glass bedding kit came out.
She now free floated from recoil lug forward, action is glass bedded (it no longer slops around in the stock, as it did, before the screws were tightened.) Recoil lug is bedded at the back only (which is as it should be). Also glassed a hardwood dowel in the big open area in the foreend to stiffen it up.
Will it shoot better? Maybe, but it sure is a lot more solid. Glass bedded dozens of guns and never had once shoot worse. It's epecially effective with tupperware factory stocks. If the Dr. ever fixes my piched nerve in my shooting shoulder I'll forward results.

Finally got a day when the wind was only gusting 5-10 and the pain pills let me shoot the Marlin. As hoped the freefloating and bedding worked out. Here are a bunch of results. The H4350 load was listed by Barnes as "most accurate" for the 130 TTSX, so I just stuck it in front of everything and shot the SMKs first. The 780 Supreme load was a low end guess now born out by Hodgdon on line site. The rifle has obvious potential for a bargain special!
Please don't tell me I need 10 shot groups unless you want to finance my bullet buys.

DSCN2859.jpg

DSCN2868.jpg

DSCN2858.jpg

DSCN2860.jpg

DSCN2857.jpg

Had to shoot at "the old range" (1921) today as the new one the County built our club (7 benchrests in heated building out to 300 yds) was having the parking lot blacktopped today.
So I was limited to 100 yards. That SMK load is about 1/4 MOA, not bad for a cheapo truck gun, should be hell on Yotes.
The TSX or TTSX is all I hunt eating game with (using modern guns) and 1 MOA will kill anything I'd ever shoot at with a 270. I'm more from the Elmer Keith rather than Roy Weatherby school.
My 2008 6X6 Elk bullet, .610, 1.4 ounces:
61bullet.jpg