• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MARPAT paint job

TheTick

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
Metro Philadelphia, PA
My team has switched to MARPAT as our duty uniform and my rifle is in need of a paint job anyway after the addition of goodies, so I am looking to paint it to match. Two questions then follow as I am new to the game:

1. Digital stencils- I have seen them on Bulldogarms under Extreme Digital, do these seem to be the best kits?

2. What are the colors that match MARPAT the best? I have seen a kit online at http://www.aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Military-Digital-Pattern-Camo-Paint.html . I am willing to pay the $30 bucks if it is on, but if I can get the same result at the hardware store, I will.

Thanks in advance,

Tick

Re: MARPAT paint job

Have you thought of having it dipped in a MARPAT camo? A guy on here has one that was MARPAT dipped and it came out really good, his screen name is Hasgunwilltravel.
You might find that easier than painting it yourself, but it will almost certainly be more expensive. Just an idea...

I love MARPAT.

I would highly recommend a dip, rather than paint. I have done both, and the dip holds up far better, without comparison.

I had my skins dipped in MARPAT from VC finishes, they do top notch work, and cheaper than most.

My stock still looks new, where as the rest of my rifle looks beat half to death. I highly recommend you give them a call, you will be surprised the cost, and the durability is way beyond what I expected.

By time you buy the paint, and stencils, you have paid for the camo job. They do both, Woodland and Desert MARPAT. If I recall, it will be between $100 and $130 less shipping, and I don't know how much you value your time, but you will not have any into it, and no mistakes or redoes.

VC Finishes Telephone: 616-642-9533

They are local to me, and I know them personally, or else I would not recommend something I heard second hand. They are super fast with turn around time. I can not say enough good things about them. Tell them Nick Painter sent you
grin.gif

My Skins:

littlerifle.jpg

Regular paint jobs:

Picture007.jpg

(thought I had more on photobucket, but can not find them)

I have given a bunch of guns camo jobs, and the dip is better (as far as durability), with my unbiased opinion, since I do not paint rifles as a business. They only downside, is you get what you get, the dips are pre-patterned, where as paint, the painter has all the control for a custom job. As far as paint, I love custom paint, so don't get me wrong there.

That does look sharp and the money is not the main concern for me... but, my rifle and I are operational and I cannot ship it off. If we get called out, the bosses are gonna be pissed if I don't have my rifle, I could only get away with "oops, I left it at home" so many times.

You don't have a backup rifle??? Heck, even the Mayberry PD had a rack full of rifles and shotguns, and there was only Andy and Barney. 'Course sometimes Andy would deputise Goober and Floyd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coondog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't have a backup rifle??? Heck, even the Mayberry PD had a rack full of rifles and shotguns, and there was only Andy and Barney. 'Course sometimes Andy would deputise Goober and Floyd. </div></div>

Ha... there are extra rifles, but they are more for if a rifle goes down... besides, this is my rifle, there are many like it but ......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love MARPAT.

My Skins:

littlerifle.jpg

</div></div>

Dude I am so going to rip this of from you! thanks for the heads up!!!

One last try...

Any opinions on who makes the best digital stencils (Bulldogarms, maybe?) and proper colors for MARPAT paint pattern?

Tick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love MARPAT.

I would highly recommend a dip, rather than paint. I have done both, and the dip holds up far better, without comparison.

I had my skins dipped in MARPAT from VC finishes, they do top notch work, and cheaper than most.

My stock still looks new, where as the rest of my rifle looks beat half to death. I highly recommend you give them a call, you will be surprised the cost, and the durability is way beyond what I expected.

By time you buy the paint, and stencils, you have paid for the camo job. They do both, Woodland and Desert MARPAT. If I recall, it will be between $100 and $130 less shipping, and I don't know how much you value your time, but you will not have any into it, and no mistakes or redoes.

VC Finishes Telephone: 616-642-9533

They are local to me, and I know them personally, or else I would not recommend something I heard second hand. They are super fast with turn around time. I can not say enough good things about them. Tell them Nick Painter sent you
grin.gif

My Skins:

littlerifle.jpg

Regular paint jobs:

Picture007.jpg

(thought I had more on photobucket, but can not find them)

I have given a bunch of guns camo jobs, and the dip is better (as far as durability), with my unbiased opinion, since I do not paint rifles as a business. They only downside, is you get what you get, the dips are pre-patterned, where as paint, the painter has all the control for a custom job. As far as paint, I love custom paint, so don't get me wrong there.

</div></div>
Wow, this is a cool service. U from Ionia huh? Gotta love your troopers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One last try...

Any opinions on who makes the best digital stencils (Bulldogarms, maybe?) and proper colors for MARPAT paint pattern?

Tick </div></div>

I saw this. Pretty spendy for what you are getting. Maybe if you google you can find it cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One last try...

Tick </div></div>

I saw this. Pretty spendy for what you are getting. Maybe if you google you can find it cheaper. </div></div>

That is the exact paint that I bought, but just a single kit from DSG Arms. I am actually giving the paint job a shot beginning tonight... we'll see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One last try...

Tick </div></div>

I saw this. Pretty spendy for what you are getting. Maybe if you google you can find it cheaper. </div></div>

That is the exact paint that I bought, but just a single kit from DSG Arms. I am actually giving the paint job a shot beginning tonight... we'll see what happens.</div></div>

Let me know how it looks.

I have painted a few rifles and the paint does not seem to hold up very well. Works well enough for a hunting rifle but not anything I was to brag about. That dip might be the way to go. Dipping is easy. I am sure there is someplace local to you that can dip it for you if you provide the dipping material. I saw it available on a few different sites.

The Tick will have plenty of time to do paint touchups on his rifle where he is going. He can get the dip when he's back in the states and not worried about deploying quickly.
Semper Fi "Tick" There is only on rifle and it is your's. ;~)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dj70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Tick will have plenty of time to do paint touchups on his rifle where he is going. He can get the dip when he's back in the states and not worried about deploying quickly.
Semper Fi "Tick" There is only on rifle and it is your's. ;~) </div></div>

I do have to worry about deploying quickly and I never leave the country. I am not in the military, I am in law enforcement and get immediately deployed from patrol frequently. The dip is a no go because I cannot ship the rifle off for an extended period of time and what few dips I have seen only dip the stock. It does not serve my purpose to have a digital camo stock coupled with what would be left of the Iron Brigade Armory paint finish and the newer mounted black scope.

The spare rifle is a Remington 40x which does not shoot anything like my assigned Remington 700 built by IBA.

Hope that clears it up. I'm hoping a good clear coat will help the paint hold up.

Tick

Call us at Manners tomorrow. Todd can mix up paint for you and we can send that out to you assuming that you have a means of spraying it. I doing a desert Marpat'ish paint on a FN pistol right now. The digital stencils that we use will work fairly well, you'll have to go in and custom cut a lot of the shapes to get them a little more like the Marpat look, or you can just use them as is and use the Marpat colors.

The paint we use, when mixed with the hardener at the ratio we specify, is some pretty tough stuff. I've had to sand some stocks down for re-paints, and it requires a LOT of elbow grease to get it off, it's good stuff. We have clearcoat available as well if you want to coat it with that.

Call Todd whenever at the shop 816.283.3334. I would be happy to help, but Todd knows the paint mixes and pricing.

Branden "Shortbus"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call us at Manners tomorrow. Todd can mix up paint for you and we can send that out to you assuming that you have a means of spraying it. I doing a desert Marpat'ish paint on a FN pistol right now. The digital stencils that we use will work fairly well, you'll have to go in and custom cut a lot of the shapes to get them a little more like the Marpat look, or you can just use them as is and use the Marpat colors.

The paint we use, when mixed with the hardener at the ratio we specify, is some pretty tough stuff. I've had to sand some stocks down for re-paints, and it requires a LOT of elbow grease to get it off, it's good stuff. We have clearcoat available as well if you want to coat it with that.

Call Todd whenever at the shop 816.283.3334. I would be happy to help, but Todd knows the paint mixes and pricing.

Branden "Shortbus" </div></div>

PM sent