• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mars Landing 2020 Livestream

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    For those few of you who respect science, JPL is about to land a new rover on Mars...

Touchdown!

It is hard to not experience strong emotions when watching things like this, and similar epic videos like the Shuttle and Saturn V launches...

These machines represent basically the PINNACLE of humanity's scientific and technological knowledge accumulated over millenia, designed and put together by the work ethic and get it done no-nonsense mentality of this country's best thinkers...

The past Mars missions have each represented a learning experience based on equipment performance and reaction to the new planetary environment they were deployed in. This one is the latest evolution of this long line and I hope they worked out as many previous bugs and issues as possible. Fingers crossed for success. (y)

1613682920160.png

from the engineering cam...
    It'll be a while before we start seeing really high quality images, but the really interesting part will be when the drone helicopter gets airborne.

Anyone care to calculate bullet drop on Mars?

Mars seem to be an ideal place for some real ELR/extreme range BPCR action. If we don't terraform the place first, the shooting contests will have to be done wearing full spacesuits... If not pressure suits but VERY heavy winter/Arctic gear with oxygen helmets...
    biggrin.gif

At nighttime, the full auto crowd with their tracers and Tannerite can borrow the range...

Oh I'm not going to be PC and comfort you with "it's okay, you don't know any better." If you think COVID is a hoax at this point, you're an idiot. And on this subject, do you know why science works? Why these folks at JPL were able to get a probe to land on Mars? Because it tells you what you don't want to hear sometimes. It doesn't try to comfort your hurt feelings.

Politics has permeated everything, you couldn't even just share the damn story here without poisoning the well by insinuating most here are science deniers.

Science has become religion.

Engineering got that rover to Mars, not blind faith in "science".

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    Practically the same as Earth, but G = 3.711 m/s² and your atmospheric pressure is 0.095 psi (vs Earth's sea level @ ~14.5 psi)

So comparable bullet drop, but the lack of friction means your bullet speed will decrease at a slower rate? So what kind of competitions are we looking at here? King of 5 mile?

Oh I'm not going to be PC and comfort you with "it's okay, you don't know any better." If you think COVID is a hoax at this point, you're an idiot. And on this subject, do you know why science works? Why these folks at JPL were able to get a probe to land on Mars? Because it tells you what you don't want to hear sometimes. It doesn't try to comfort your hurt feelings.

You took the bait. I guess im not as dumb as you thought.

• Haha
    Reactions: lariat
    For those few of you who respect science, JPL is about to land a new rover on Mars...

Quoted for posterity

Yeah, I remember back in 2014 when people here were making all kind of bullshit claims about Ebola.

If you're honestly wanting to try to shame me at a later date with "see, you totally thought COVID was real!" then I'll take that bet :)

Congratulations on Perseverance landing on Mars.
    👍
    Science isn't a religion. That's an argument that the followers of belief systems pursue.
    Always trying to undermine anything that conflicts with their fantasy world view.
    Science, and engineering achieved the landing of Perseverance on Mars.
    Prayers neither helped, nor required.

Bet them Martians wish they'd built a wall.

:)

Thank you,
    MrSmith

A drone on mars. With such a thin atmosphere what’s the lift on those props? How long are they?

Here's a detailed explanation.

Ok that makes sense. I knew the rotors would have to be super long, but the gravity difference is a major factor. 1.5 minutes is terrible but they had to give that up for weight, same as here. The infilled blades are a cool design.

Yeah... engineering.

Well, at least this one made it. Be interesting to see if we get any new science. Hard to be excited about Mars Probes, since they are now some 40 years old.

I will be really excited to see humans on Mars.

But another probe? Ok. Maybe if it finds life or a stash of Mars Bars.

otherwise, put some people up there or find something interesting to do. Mars landers are so 1977...

Sirhr

Practically the same as Earth, but G = 3.711 m/s² and your atmospheric pressure is 0.095 psi (vs Earth's sea level @ ~14.5 psi)
    Last I checked isn't gravity here 9.81m so how is that "practically the same"? And so with 1/3 the grav (there abouts) and a much thinner atmosphere..... and you are sling mud about peoples intelligence ?

@Im2bent
    Earth G = 9.81 m/s^2
    Mars G = 3.711 m/s^2

Practically the same but lower gravity and much lower pressure. What’s the issue? Those two terms in the equation are the main differences.