• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maryland FFL near the beltway?

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    Anyone got a line on a reputable FFL in Maryland, near the beltway of DC? I have a co-worker (a widow) who's FIL passed away (he lived just outside DC, in MD), and there are guns that were intended for her two boys. Without their father around anymore, these firearms may be some important keepsakes to them, and their mother asked me if I knew of anyone that could received them in MD for transfer to her in CA. Doubt there are any illegal ones from a CA perspective (these were old family hunting firearms) , before anyone asks.

Appreciate any help anyone might have on solid lead to handle a transfer from MD to CA.

TIA

Can she just ship direct to an ffl in Cali for the transfer or does Cali not allow that anymore either?

I think with the people involved (timid, don't know shit about guns) they just want to hand them over "to someone that knows how to do it legally". <shrug>

I think with the people involved (timid, don't know shit about guns) they just want to hand them over "to someone that knows how to do it legally". <shrug>

You might call Virginia Arms in Manassas Virginia. Theyve been around for quite awhile and deal with lots of LE and military and might be able to direct you to someone closer by. Bought my first two rifles there, a Barrett M107 and Remington 5R. Good folks.

• Address: 9760 Center St, Manassas, VA 20110
    • Phone: (703) 368-3949

Reactions: MarinePMI
    @MarinePMI

Can she just ship direct to an ffl in Cali for the transfer or does Cali not allow that anymore either?
    Its kind of hard to say.....

Last year I had an 870 to ship to WA state for a friend's daughter....and my friend couldn't find a single FFL to receive it from who didn't insist that the gun originate from an FFL here in MD and also insist that they would only send their FFL to an originating FFL and not to an originating individual (as in me).

I looked but could not find any ref at all to WA law requiring an FFL origination...but they tried like 6-8 WA area FFLs and it was the same exact story everywhere....it had to originate from an FFL.

I also cannot find any ref to CA law or regulation requiring out of state shipment originators to be an FFL.

HOWEVER, CA does require any originating FFL (inside the state or outside) to:

As of January 1, 2008, both in-state and out of state Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders will be required to obtain approval (e.g., a unique verification number) from the California Department of Justice prior to shipping firearms to any California FFL (Penal Code §§ 12072).
    So, I doubt any FFL here in Maryland would be very pleased to get involved in this CA goat roping.

This verification number does NOT apply to shipments originating from a non-FFL person.
    • I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number before shipping a firearm to California?
      • No. Only shipments from Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) require a Firearms Shipment Approval number.
    I strongly suggest that she contact some FFLs in CA and see if they will accept a shipment from an individual (non-FFL). If so, then that is def the way to go.

If not, they are going to have a hard time finding anyone willing to do the dance with California regs.

With that said, I can offer up two FFLs that are sort of near the beltway in MD (which is a LOT of road so...maybe they can narrow it down a bit...like the town the guns are at?)

1. Prince George Country Trap and Skeet - they receive FFL shipments all of the time. They never really originate FFL transfers for individuals as its not needed unless you are shipping to...for example...WA. How do I know? Well, this is the FFL that I used to originate the shipment of that 870 to WA state when we found that we had no other choice. I've known these folks for 30 years. I used to lease the entire 13 skeet field club for a top 20 skeet shoot. They are my friends. And while they did it for me as a favor, the attitude was def don't make a habit of it.

2. Atlantic Guns in Rockville.

Good luck but as I said....tell her to see if she can find an FFL in CA willing to receive from an non-FFL originator as allowed by Federal law (that is, will they send a copy of their FFL to a non-FFL for the shipment).

Cheers

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Many years ago, I made a thread here that got stickied. It had to do with "FFL's that accept" and whatnot.

Thing is, I can't remember who took it over from me (some years ago) and I also don't have a clue where it got moved to. Or is it gone. Otherwise, I'd link it to you here, in the hopes that it could help.

That was the intention of why I made it, to begin with. Alas....

The easiest and most likely cheapest thing to do would be for her if she is the executor to fly over there and then ship them to whoever is the inheritor via USPS. I don't know what other things may be required by CA law as I refuse to live in a tyranny so I don't have to keep track of stupid laws in that state.
    See link below

@MarinePMI

Its kind of hard to say.....

Last year I had an 870 to ship to WA state for a friend's daughter....and my friend couldn't find a single FFL to receive it from who didn't insist that the gun originate from an FFL here in MD and also insist that they would only send their FFL to an originating FFL and not to an originating individual (as in me).

I looked but could not find any ref at all to WA law requiring an FFL origination...but they tried like 6-8 WA area FFLs and it was the same exact story everywhere....it had to originate from an FFL.

I also cannot find any ref to CA law or regulation requiring out of state shipment originators to be an FFL.

HOWEVER, CA does require any originating FFL (inside the state or outside) to:

As of January 1, 2008, both in-state and out of state Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders will be required to obtain approval (e.g., a unique verification number) from the California Department of Justice prior to shipping firearms to any California FFL (Penal Code §§ 12072).
    So, I doubt any FFL here in Maryland would be very pleased to get involved in this CA goat roping.

This verification number does NOT apply to shipments originating from a non-FFL person.
    • I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number before shipping a firearm to California?
      • No. Only shipments from Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) require a Firearms Shipment Approval number.
    I strongly suggest that she contact some FFLs in CA and see if they will accept a shipment from an individual (non-FFL). If so, then that is def the way to go.

If not, they are going to have a hard time finding anyone willing to do the dance with California regs.

With that said, I can offer up two FFLs that are sort of near the beltway in MD (which is a LOT of road so...maybe they can narrow it down a bit...like the town the guns are at?)

1. Prince George Country Trap and Skeet - they receive FFL shipments all of the time. They never really originate FFL transfers for individuals as its not needed unless you are shipping to...for example...WA. How do I know? Well, this is the FFL that I used to originate the shipment of that 870 to WA state when we found that we had no other choice. I've known these folks for 30 years. I used to lease the entire 13 skeet field club for a top 20 skeet shoot. They are my friends. And while they did it for me as a favor, the attitude was def don't make a habit of it.

2. Atlantic Guns in Rockville.

Good luck but as I said....tell her to see if she can find an FFL in CA willing to receive from an non-FFL originator as allowed by Federal law (that is, will they send a copy of their FFL to a non-FFL for the shipment).

Cheers
    That is just typical FFL being dumbasses and not actually knowing the law. The same as them telling you if you get a can that the ATF can break down your door anytime they like. (state laws could be different of course)

I have a LSG that is almost world famous I would say, just 5 miles from me. At least 3 times in the past I have been told NO they CAN NOT accept a gun from an individual from out of state. Not that they don't want to, but that it is against federal regulations. And all 3 times I have had to pull up the ATF regulations (on my phone) that state ANY FFL can accept a firearm from out of state for transfer to an individual in state. At that point they make a call and tell me "yea, I guess we can do it". Some of the guys have worked there over 20 years and are still fudds.

Think about it for a damn minute. The ATF wants guns to be traceable, and to do that they need to be "in the system" this keeps the paper trail alive. The firearm will get logged in and then transferred and logged out, that is what the ATF is looking for.

https://www.cindyshotshots.com/ In Glen Burnie is who my cousins use, newer shop, awesome owner. Maybe 30 mins from beltway.

Also if you don't mind the drive , @HansohnBrothers is like an hour from the beltway. Awesome Dealer and super nice guy to work with.

Cindy's is my go-to but they are closer to Baltimore than to DC beltway. Also, you're thinking about Atlantic Firearms being near OC; totally different entity than Atlantic Guns.

Atlantic Guns used to have a location just inside the beltway in Silver Spring. They just consolidated into one location south of Shady Grove Rd. where Rockville adjoins Gaithersburg.

Best bet for an easy transfer is United Gun Shop (https://www.unitedgunshop.com/contact). They're not too far of off I-270 and will probably be easier to work with than Atlantic Guns.

Last edited:
    There was a clothing supply shop in northern DC on the MD side that had a FFL and a pretty good shop. Some of the best transfer and shipping prices in state but was like a decade ago.

A1 Uniform I think they were called. In brentwood.

That is just typical FFL being dumbasses and not actually knowing the law. The same as them telling you if you get a can that the ATF can break down your door anytime they like. (state laws could be different of course)

I have a LSG that is almost world famous I would say, just 5 miles from me. At least 3 times in the past I have been told NO they CAN NOT accept a gun from an individual from out of state. Not that they don't want to, but that it is against federal regulations. And all 3 times I have had to pull up the ATF regulations (on my phone) that state ANY FFL can accept a firearm from out of state for transfer to an individual in state. At that point they make a call and tell me "yea, I guess we can do it". Some of the guys have worked there over 20 years and are still fudds.

Think about it for a damn minute. The ATF wants guns to be traceable, and to do that they need to be "in the system" this keeps the paper trail alive. The firearm will get logged in and then transferred and logged out, that is what the ATF is looking for.
    You are correct.

If your FFL won't accept from an individual, than your FFL is shit and time to find a new one.

@BullGear
    Swear he said he is from MD.
    He would know of a place I am betting.
    That on the other side of MD, but I know of a few.

There are 3 in Rockville MD.

United Gun Shop.
    5465 Randolph Rd
    Rockville, MD 20852
    (888)736-0262

Atlantic Guns
    15813 Frederick Rd
    Rockville, MD 20855
    (310)279-7983

Engage Armament
    701 E Gude Dr #101
    Rockville, MD 20850
    (310)838-3151

I have their business cards, so I either bought something from them or just picked up their cards at a gun show.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Lunchbox27
    Wrong beltway. They want something near the DC beltway.
    No, its 30 minutes from 495. Take 295 strait down. Lived there for 20+ years, I think I know.

Most FFL and dealers in the state suck. Have bought or sold to most of them. The list is small who is worth dealing with.

No, its 30 minutes from 495. Take 295 strait down. Lived there for 20+ years, I think I know.

Most FFL and dealers in the state suck. Have bought or sold to most of them. The list is small who is worth dealing with.

Not my experience at all. I've bought from most in the 35 years I've been going to gun shows. Remember when Preston Jones had really good shows (other than the small venue at Parkville). Although I bought some of the best face to face rifle and shotguns at the Parkville show. The 3 that I recommended are the 3 near the DC Beltway. There are others but these are the most convenient for the woman needed their services.

The one thing I did omit and much advice her to NOT bring them into DC. Leave them in MD until they are shipped.

Reactions: Baron23
    On the receiving from individuals thing I saw this vid recently. Forgotten Weapons did a quick intro type vid with him. Seems well done.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baron23